62 series leaf springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 88 62 series is starting to sag a little in the rear.need to sit it up a couple inches,thinking new leaf springs will do it,any thoughts?

mine was almost touching the bump stop. When I took it off I found one of the leaves was cracked in half. I went with OME suspension kit from Cruiser Outfitters.

Pic of what I found:

20180609_192043-jpg.1744199

If you've never replaced your spring bushings you will probably find you need new bushing and pins as well. The bushings crack with age and and the pins corrode and start pitting. When the get badly pitted they are no longer smooth and the roughness allows them to chew into the bushings. If the pin is not centered in the bushing it's because the hole in the bushing for the pin is no longer round but oblong from the pin chewing it. Not anything you want to happen to new bushings so you should replace both at the same time.

My bushing look good,was hoping to leave main leaf and replace the rest.just wondering if that could get me back up to level.I have a spring place very close.and I don't think toyota used very good steel in their springs( was brittle) my 82 and 83 sr5 pickups broke many leafs.

Inserting another leaf in the pack (add-a-leaf) will raise up the vehicle a bit for a while, but you’re asking one leaf to do all the work - so it will sag out soon enough.
The proper way to lift a saggy ass is to replace both rear springs (and bushings). Trying to do it otherwise will waste your money and time.

I meant replacing all the leafs except main,so 6 new ones.saves me taking off main leaf.

I meant replacing all the leafs except main,so 6 new ones.saves me taking off main leaf.
That’s the most time consuming and difficult way that will likely end up with unsatisfactory results.
Just buy two new rear spring packs and toss your old ones in the dumpster.

My bushing look good,was hoping to leave main leaf and replace the rest.just wondering if that could get me back up to level.I have a spring place very close.and I don't think toyota used very good steel in their springs( was brittle) my 82 and 83 sr5 pickups broke many leafs.
Your going to have to pull the pin out of the bushing to drop the leaf down to add leafs or work on the spring pack. Unless you have recently replaced the bushings and pins with greaseable pins you probably won't be able to get them apart without destroying either the bushing or the pin. If you figure out how to remove stock 35 year old bushings and pins in one piece let us know how you did it. Otherwise plan on having to replace them. Also you can't see the pitting on the pin until you remove it from the bushings.

If I support the truck,cut u bolts,jack rear axle up,cut center bolt.Then your left with main leaf still attacked,get all new leafs.new center bolt.new u bolts.and re asseble.I was thinking the 6 new leaves I add would probably give me the 2 inches im looking for.and yes I have tried many times to remove main leafs on other vehicules and never ends well.and yes I could just torch everything off and buy new set.Also could I just add longer shackles to get some height,Just trying to get it back to level,looks much better.

Bro, just put in a little air bag level kit and call it a day. This is the most cost effective and least invasive way IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom