What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, last weekend after my previous post, I went out to take the junk yard items out to where my Cruiser is; My HOA doesn't want it parked at my place so, I keep it at a family members place. When I arrived I immediately saw there was condensation on ALL of the windows...after inspecting in the dark, I found out that brand new OEM, installed by a shop windshield gasket is seeping.

Bad.

The first image was at night...you can see the massive amount of condensation on the inside of the windshield and the beads of water seeping through the gasket. The 2nd and 3rd images are from today. In the 3rd on you can clearly see the gasket has "Popped out" making me believe that the shop didn't follow the FSM, which is bewildering to me because I MENTIONED that this shop was recommended to me by a LC specific shop for knowing how to work on the 80 series.

Maybe they had someone else install it, I don't know...I'm not angry at the owner of the shop who is the guy who knows about the FSM and an 80 and how it has to be set and installed; maybe he had a new guy who doesn't know install it. But I have an appointment tomorrow AM to get it looked at. I'm not happy as now, after all the rain we've been having (PNW), my floorboards are soaked (see video).

In looking along the underside of the top part of the windshield, there are numerous bubbles, as though there's water bulging behind the gasket :bang::mad:

Silver lining...well, I had already planned to remove and replace the carpet in the entire rig, AND add the sound dampening, AND pull the headliner and clean it during the summer...this just makes that project a 100% guarantee.

Please excuse my sounding defeated at the end of one of the videos…I’m just super frustrated.

EDIT: Just spoke with the glass shop, they think they know what might have caused the problem: We had a big freeze and it could have been the culprit. They're going to put it in their climate controlled shop over the weekend and get it dry and then rip into it on Monday to find out what the problem might be.

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

Last edited:
Loncky

Installed an OME 2.5” lift kit. Original shocks and springs were done. Looks like I added 6” from where it was sitting. It took every bit of a 30-ton press to get the old casters out of the control arm. I maxed it out on 2 occasions. Released pressure, beat the control arm a bit with a hammer, and tried again.

View attachment 3218191

View attachment 3218192
Crap you were riding on the bump stops? I bet the ride quality is so much better now.

Crap you were riding on the bump stops? I bet the ride quality is so much better now.
I’ve only had it for a couple of months, but when I saw it leaning to the left, I knew I had a problem.

Rides way better. Previously, it was like when the school bus hit a hard bump and threw all the kids into the ceiling. That doesn’t happen now.

Ha! Pretty sure mine was the same before the Dobinson lift. Speed bumps at Lowe's would bounce you all over the place. Imagine the difference in going from close to stockish DIA tires and riding the bumpstops to a 3.5"(came out at about 4.5") lift and 37s. I fell out of it when I got back from the maiden test drive. :rofl:

Installed an OME 2.5” lift kit. Original shocks and springs were done. Looks like I added 6” from where it was sitting. It took every bit of a 30-ton press to get the old casters out of the control arm. I maxed it out on 2 occasions. Released pressure, beat the control arm a bit with a hammer, and tried again.

View attachment 3218191

View attachment 3218192
She looks so much better with the lift.

And she's super clean! Nice.

I just found the AI chatgpt..... wtf

On a tech note I am using chatgpt to research the inevitable head gasket failure that chatgpt predicts I will experience sooner or later depending on many factors.

20230113_222214.jpg

20230113_221924.jpg

What says mud, is it smarter than a human yet?

Well T100s and LS400s did NOT EVEN have 1FZ engines. :rofl:
Aside from that my 1993 1FZ has 221 thousand miles on it with around 160 thousand of that being supercharged with methanol injection. The head has NOT been touched.

Fixed my window so that it goes down AND up again.

Also, canceled my lockers and gear order from Xtreme Overland because it was going to take months before they could gets the parts and ordered Eaton lockers, 4.88 gears, and master install kits from East Coast Gear Supply. The parts should be to me within a couple of days.

After months of baselining the Nomad finnaly goes back to its routes in the desert.

I will post vides and such on my thread as not to cluter this thread. Some teasers and first video editing underway. Much like my offroading experience I'm a beginner in both.

Ran into a safari camp on route to our camp site, was just 80 series rigs. What a lovely sight!

Extreme sand dunes, rough terrain and lots of very smooth sand. It was a struggle for me, thankfully my guide kept me well aware of situation before hand.

My respect grows with the 80 the more time i spend in the rig. Trully worth it
20230114_124112.jpg
20230114_080042.jpg
20230114_115833.jpg
20230114_103405.jpg
20230114_103407.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom