The BIG TRIP - What would you take? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is not your everyday trail tool kit thread. We will soon be packing up and moving overseas somewhat permanently, but moving approximately every two years for work. I have an idea of what to take and how I want to outfit the cruiser, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on must-haves because I really haven't ranged too far from home with it yet. I don't want a full overland expedition build (yet) but we do expect to be doing short excursions into wild places.

Housing:
  • I don't know which countries yet. Could literally be ANY country (excluding active war zones)
  • Housing may be anything from a city apartment to a stately mansion, or anything in between
  • Garage parking may be available, but garage work space and tool storage may not be
Usage:
  • Primary use - urban family car, 3-4 kids. One kid is graduating this year, and two others are currently in high school, and the fourth is in elementary.
  • No seat removal outfitting (drawers, etc)
  • Some off-road exploring. Could be sand, rocks, mud, whatever. Any terrain. All terrain.
My current setup is 2.5" Icon lift and 285/75R17 Toyo M/T. I may upgrade the shocks to something else but I'm not going to drastically change until necessary.

Planned Mods:
  • ARB twin compressor on Slee mount
  • Air Bags for towing
  • 2nd battery on Slee mount
  • Redarc BCDC
  • Redarc battery link for winch and self-jumpstarts
  • Redarc trailer brake controller
  • Warn Evo 12s tucked into a hidden mount under OEM bumper
  • Ham radio
Planned tools will look something like a simple trail kit. Sockets, wrenches, pliers, hammers. Maybe a floor jack and jack stands. I don't intend to do anything more than basic tune-up type maintenance while away, since Land Cruisers are found in every corner of the world already and LC mechanics shouldn't be that difficult to find. My LC is at 78,000 miles now and I will do all of the 100k maintenance items before we leave.

Future Mods:
  • Drawers? (after more kids graduate and go into the world on their own)
  • Rear bumper - I'd really like to get the spare out from under at some point, but it's not a necessity for me today (talk me into it if you have a strong opinion)
  • Front bumper - if we end up in a wild place like Africa I might consider a winch bumper and extra lights

So, what are your thoughts on what to take when you can't take everything, and aren't coming "home" for many years?

I know you said "No seat removal outfitting", but maybe consider installing a single drawer so you can keep one half of the 3rd row seat in. We have 3 kids, and this setup works pretty well for us. If your oldest is graduating soon, then you'll mostly just have 3 kids for the majority of the time, right?

20210924_185856.jpg

... then you'll mostly just have 3 kids for the majority of the time, right?
Good point. Definitely worth considering. Thanks for the input!

I like that I could also put an electrical panel on it and install things like the ham radio.

Wifey just reminded me that kids will come back from college to visit us wherever we are, so I still kinda need 6 passenger capability for a few more years.

Last edited:
I think you're pretty set. Definitely get the winch set up, that would be my priority. HAM's probably not a bad plan if you're really going to be remote.

Also, I'd endeavor to keep it simple. Do you really need dual batteries etc? A separate rechargeable jump box could give you the peace of mind of not being left waiting for a jump without a lot of excess complexity.

For the timeline you're discussing, and the uncertainty, I would ditch the Icon shocks due to the required rebuilds. I would imagine that shipping them off to get rebuilt while you're somewhere far abroad could take a long time and be very inconvenient. Go with a simpler shock like the standard OME shocks or Bilstein 6120s, and you could likely see 100k+ miles of service with no required rebuilds in the interval.

My years overseas are fading a bit but I would keep the truck very close to stock. If it did not come from the factory I would consider chucking it. It is very capable as it came from the factory. It can be embarrassing to be in a hyper rig with a beat up Corolla flashing to get past in your mirror.

Last edited:
I think you're pretty set. Definitely get the winch set up, that would be my priority. HAM's probably not a bad plan if you're really going to be remote.

Also, I'd endeavor to keep it simple. Do you really need dual batteries etc? A separate rechargeable jump box could give you the peace of mind of not being left waiting for a jump without a lot of excess complexity.

For the timeline you're discussing, and the uncertainty, I would ditch the Icon shocks due to the required rebuilds. I would imagine that shipping them off to get rebuilt while you're somewhere far abroad could take a long time and be very inconvenient. Go with a simpler shock like the standard OME shocks or Bilstein 6120s, and you could likely see 100k+ miles of service with no required rebuilds in the interval.

The dual battery kit is already on the UPS truck from Slee, and the Redarc stuff from Redarc. :) I was planning to just get a rechargeable jump box but the battery gives me more winch juice too. I'm not too worried about the added complexity. I can install and maintain those systems myself.

Agreed on the shocks. My brain was wandering in that direction since my Icons are already in need of a rebuild, and I have no idea how many miles are on them. They came already installed when I got the LC a month ago.

My years overseas are fading a bit but I would keep the truck very close to stock. If it did not come from the factory I would consider chucking it. It is very capable as it came from the factory.
Why do you say that? I get the reliability aspect of it, to some extent. Aside from the aforementioned shocks, I'm not adding anything that would affect the overall vehicle reliability.

I like everything listed except for the dual battery setup, been there, done that. Get a Noco battery jumper and a Jackery or Yeti to power extra items, that said, it sounds like you've already purchased it so disregard lol. Definitely ditch the Icon junk, rebuilds are no fun and are quite frequent. Are you running a 285/75/17 spare underneath?

Is your company paying to transport your vehicle abroad or are you committed to this venture yourself? How do you know that you'll be moving abroad yet you do not know where or for how long? Sorry if that comes off as prying, but as someone who has worked/lived abroad I find this perplexing.

I like everything listed except for the dual battery setup, been there, done that. Get a Noco battery jumper and a Jackery or Yeti to power extra items, that said, it sounds like you've already purchased it so disregard lol. Definitely ditch the Icon junk, rebuilds are no fun and are quite frequent. Are you running a 285/75/17 spare underneath?

Is your company paying to transport your vehicle abroad or are you committed to this venture yourself? How do you know that you'll be moving abroad yet you do not know where or for how long? Sorry if that comes off as prying, but as someone who has worked/lived abroad I find this perplexing.
I don't have a full size spare yet, but as soon as KMC restocks my wheels I will get one. The previous owner went for aesthetics instead of function, so here we are.

Without going into detail, yes work is paying for the move, all inclusive. We get to bring one car, so obviously it has to be a Land Cruiser.

I think fuel is pretty low on the priority list. We'll be living in a city and just venturing out from there on weekenders. If I need extra, I'll throw a jerry on top or something. If we go for a much longer trek, then I'd likely have some kind of trailer and it would go in there.

Couple quick thoughts.

Keep the outside nondescript, since you could be in iffy areas of the world. The hidden winch is good; I’d skip front/rear bumpers.

Make sure you have a good way to jack the truck when off the beaten path. At a minimum, carry a solid base for the bottle jack. Calls to AAA might go unanswered.

Replace the radiator with the new style as part of the 100k service.

Consider secure ways to carry things inside if you aren’t doing drawers. Even a cargo cover or an BROG attic can hide things from prying eyes.

Depending on where you are, a small fridge with cold safe water might be worth it.

Review the post in the forum FAQs about what to carry on the trail for ideas.

Replace the radiator with the new style as part of the 100k service.
My 2010 radiator cracked a few years ago (probably what led to its ultimate demise with a blown head gasket last month). Are 2016s subject to the same issues? Got a part number for the new style?

Onboard cameras that run 24/7
Alarm system
Depending on the miles - parts for maintenance that will be due during the period like oil filter etc.
Max Trax or similar
Pre-code and switch over to Metric with a scan tool - there is a thread on this
LRA tank with good fuel filter and pump and put the tire on a rear bumper. Fuel is sometimes not clean and far between especially in Africa.
Skid plates if you don't have them.
Maybe switch to steel wheels depending where you are going.

The new rad is 16400-50384 radiator - I have a 16 and just ordered this as the 16 has the old part in it.

Last edited:
IMHO - Coolant becomes acidic and will eat water pump and various other gaskets if not changed regularly. Go with new coolant.

Last edited:
Sell the 200. Figure out where you will be landing. Buy a vehicle that fits in the local environment and doesn't stand out. Guessing a 70 series or a Hilux would be where you land if you stay with the Toyota family.

If you insist on the 200, keep it as stock as possible, so you can get parts and service more easily.

Sell the 200. Figure out where you will be landing. Buy a vehicle that fits in the local environment and doesn't stand out. Guessing a 70 series or a Hilux would be where you land if you stay with the Toyota family.

If you insist on the 200, keep it as stock as possible, so you can get parts and service more easily.
This.

Save the money you’d spend upgrading and just by a country or region specific vehicle when you get where you are going. If you can bring it back to the US afterwards (check DOT guide) you’ll likely be able to sell it and recoup the money.

If you do have to take the 200. Parts support for our stock vehicles is excellent overseas, so don’t give that up.

Keep in mind that if you import a US spec vehicle your going to need to deal with compliance for the country your located in to register the vehicle to be driven on public roads. That may mean complying with inspection/emission requirements. It could just need to adjust headlights to point away from oncoming traffic or install a switch so you have a rear fog light, but could get costly in some countries. There may also be registration taxes. The last two places I’ve been charged you based on the engine displacement and a lot of places it’s not common to have. 5.7L.

Don’t forget insurance costs. Your current insurance may cover you abroad but you’ll pay an increased premium for it. Local insurers would be better but if they realize you have a US spec vehicle they may charge you extra to cover.

Safe travels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom