SOLD Issaquah, WA (Seattle Area) - 1988 Toyota BJ70 - Not running (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the terse wording below - I'm copy/pasting my Craigslist ad. We all know you have to talk to people like they're children there.

Album of more photos: Imgur Album - BJ70

Asking $15k, OBO - If I don't get takers, I'm going to start parting it out. I'd rather sell it whole: I don't want to spend my time wrenching on it.

The truck is not running. You will need a trailer or flatbed.
No trades. No shipping unless YOU organize it. I recommend uship.com for stuff like that.

Please make me an offer.

This will be a killer platform for a Cummins Diesel or LS1 engine swap. It would be an insane short wheelbase rock crawler. It was already extremely capable in its current condition - upgrading this would turn it into am absolute Jeep Killer.

103k miles (~166km on the odometer)
Clean title. Imported from Japan via Surrey, BC in 2015.

The Good
- Brand new Old Man Emu 3" lift kit: new springs, shocks, and steering dampener - 2 months old ($2200 + installation)
- Onboard compressor & tank
- ARB Rear Locker
- Clean interior
- PTO Winch
- No body or frame cancer/rust. Light surface rust on left side, stabilized with zinc clear coat.

The Bad
Per above, the 3.4L 3B diesel engine is dead. It left me stranded last night, I'm done. I have not diagnosed it, nor do I plan to. It will not turn over.

The Ugly (but not too bad)
- There are trail dents on the left side from off-roading.
- The rear window rails are rusty, but are modular and can be replaced.
- Ansin locking hubs need new seals. I have the kit and will provide it.

No trades.

PXL_20221218_191624267.jpg

PXL_20221218_191619173.jpg

PXL_20221218_191527525.jpg

PXL_20221218_191735939.jpg

PXL_20221218_191811953.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
Good-ish news. I drained the oil today. It was full of coolant, which told me that the head gasket failed.

The reason the engine couldn't turn before is because it was hydro-locked.

After removing the fluid, the engine now spins.

Still for sale, just to be clear.

I think this definitely makes things a bit more positive. A rebuild would be far less costly than an engine swap.

Good-ish news. I drained the oil today. It was full of coolant, which told me that the head gasket failed.

The reason the engine couldn't turn before is because it was hydro-locked.

After removing the fluid, the engine now spins.
Just curious, how does one remove fluid from piston chambers?

I am going to attempt to source a head gasket for this and get it running. It will still be for sale afterward, obviously adjusted accordingly. So... if someone wants to take this on BEFORE I get the parts and start digging in, now's the time.

I understand that. But it's not exactly the hell scape I initially thought.
@OGBeno is right. If you're selling it, you're going to need to head gasket AND a couple tubes of permatex.

I would do LS Swap (or 1FZ-FE) and resell it. I know it might be a big investment but you'll make your money back and more.

Hopefully, a serious buyer would buy this rig and restore it. I might be a while until a serious offer comes through
Indeed. I have someone semi-local to me who is interested, but waiting to sell his current truck before he can purchase it.

I would do LS Swap (or 1FZ-FE) and resell it. I know it might be a big investment but you'll make your money back and more.
It gets complicated putting a 12 volt motor in a 24 volt car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom