Locker Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not that I have seen. Someone might come along and prove otherwise, but I have not seen a factory option for the FJ40. There are plenty of aftermarket options from: autolockers (aussie locker), manual lockers (Ox), and air lockers (ARB), but not a factory option.

I've seen some whole-vehicle ads claiming "factory limited-slip". I don't know if it might have been a dealer option.

Edit: Here's a thread with this diagram in it:

Did FJ40 ever come with factory limited slip rears?

slip-jpg.566999

Here's an Auburn LSD for a '40:

Toyota 9.5, 1997 & Older, Auburn Pro Series LSD [AG542030-PRO] - $549.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

Last edited:
I've seen some whole-vehicle ads claiming "factory limited-slip". I don't know if it might have been a dealer option.

Edit: Here's a thread with this diagram in it:

Did FJ40 ever come with factory limited slip rears?

slip-jpg.566999

Here's an Auburn LSD for a '40:

Toyota 9.5, 1997 & Older, Auburn Pro Series LSD [AG542030-PRO] - $549.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

I think it possible the late 40 series might have had a limited slip option but would have been for another market not the US. These require a full floating axle which was never imported. Could use them in the front but still never seen one available here. Even the 60 series didn't get the a limited slip in the US. Years ago Man-A-Fre offered them as a used part from another market and wasn't available from Toyota here.

I think it possible the late 40 series might have had a limited slip option but would have been for another market not the US. These require a full floating axle which was never imported.

The Auburn I linked has no such limitation. I checked in the installation manual.

The Auburn I linked has no such limitation. I checked in the installation manual.

Not sure if the Auburn worked on semi floating axles but was it ever offered by Toyota? Was this a option offered thru the dealers? Thought those, Lock-Right and everything else were aftermarket. Toyota made their own limited and then cable/E-locker.

Never researched the Auburn enough to know if they work on semi floating axles. Just wasn't sure if they were ever offed by dealers. Being it required rebuilding a diff if it didn't left the factory with it already installed. Toyota did offer a Eaton limited slip for the first generation Tundra starting in 2002. The 89/99 Lexus LX470 have a limited slip in the rear axle, not sure who made it. Tundra was made here so Eaton I could understand. LXs were made in Japan so maybe their own limited slip.:meh:

I have seen a couple of GM "gov-lock"s in FJ40s, but it is not a Toyota option. They are kind of a hybrid between a LSD and a locker. They are not very robust. I broke the one in my Suburban backing out of my drive way.

Hi all,

Sorry, the Air Locker is not available for 10 spline diffs (all pre-1969) though there was/is a 10 spline Lockrite model.

Regards,

Alan

ARB Air Locker

If it's like my 68 it will have coarse splines so ARB will not work without switching to fine splines. Only two options I've seen in coarse spline is Lock-Right which is still available and Torsen which hasn't been made in a very long time. The Torsen also will not work with a C clip while the Lock-Right will.

I will add some images of this gov lock. So the original carrier had the ring gear holes redrilled
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Here are the spacers that go under the ring gear.
3.jpeg

Interesting bit of history being a mod done in the early 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom