70 Series Model with Maximum Parts Availability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ikarus

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi, I've done my best to research on my own but I'd love to hear some opinions. Long story short I've always loved the 70 series but haven't considered owning too seriously. From my past experiences importing euro cars from France/Germany and building BMWs from the ground up, I had a lot of fun but I also realize that I'm not at the point in life where I can spend that much time on a project. I'm jealous reading about all these 75/79 builds from scratch on here!

As I've been looking for my next land cruiser project I started reading up on 70s and learned about the 1HZ and of course 70 series in general still being produced worldwide. I really enjoy wrenching on platforms that have good OEM support - so my question is -

Is there a 25 year legal 70 series model that still has a majority of its OEM parts in production today? Parts you can buy through Partsouq or a similar source? Maybe a mid 1990s HZJ77, with the HZ still in use and sharing a body(ish) with the 76 wagon?

I've also seen other resources like Japan4x4 Export, and I live 20 min from Cruiser Outfitters and know Kurt deals extensively with 70 series parts.

If you have any good go-to resources for reading/learning I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Off the cuff I’d recommend an HZJ75, either troopy or pickup in 12 volt spec.

As Onur pointed out, Toyota will abandon older parts for many vehicles. 20 years ago even returns of Class E and D parts went into commercial dumpsters at Toyota Ontario. There are aftermarket sources and the most obvious is to use later model parts.

While the 73/74 is an ideal size, production ceased in 2006/7.
troopie 75's stopped in 1998 and 78 production began.
pickup 75's stopped 1998 and 79 2 door began
4 door 77 were early 90's and 76 is 1999 plus.
4 door pick up is 2015ish 79 series.

front was widened in 2007 for the v8.

Remember also, body wise, 2007 wide nose cowl back is essentially the same as 1985 models. removable windshield (71 series) give more time on those models.

I have a 2 door pick up which is fine for post kid life, but tight for driving x country. Think about what you need.

1999 also introduces coil front ends (and 5 lug rims, 10mm axle/free hub studs) so 2024 is the golden year. Make a friend in Canada.

HZJ75 imo.

The 1HZ is uber prolific, hell we stock the head and many core components. We may start stocking the blocks.

While I personally prefer the 74 (MWB turbo) or the 77 for my needs. A 75 is a pretty rad platform albeit long for trails like Forest Lake, Devil's Race Track, etc that I know you're familiar with.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. @rick_d I think you're right about 1999, I might just have to wait a year.

I actually drove this FZJ75 last year. I really like these trucks but this specific example was beat and they were asking $50K... I would have paid $20K haha but that's how the market goes. I actually know the prop house that ended up buying it and put a DShK on the back

a '99 HZJ76 might be the move - I would go for a 75 but I have two boys I take on trips.

InFhChd.jpg

A 76 is on my short list. I love my HZJ77 but it is the slowest Land Cruiser I own :D

Thanks for all the replies and advice. @rick_d I think you're right about 1999, I might just have to wait a year.

I actually drove this FZJ75 last year. I really like these trucks but this specific example was beat and they were asking $50K... I would have paid $20K haha but that's how the market goes. I actually know the prop house that ended up buying it and put a DShK on the back

a '99 HZJ76 might be the move - I would go for a 75 but I have two boys I take on trips.

InFhChd.jpg

Here for the falcon stripes. These fetch higher prices here in the GCC just because of a decal. weird looking grill.

Add my vote with Curt's. I'd take a 74 series any day with a 1FZ-FE. The 1HZ has better global support but the later 1FZ are just an amazing engine. too bad they stopped them for the 1GR

HZJ76 would awesome, I'm excited to see what imports look like in the next 5 years. I wanted a 70 series wagon so I have room for kids and am enjoying the KZJ78 I acquired for under $20k in 2021. The Pickups look sweet but I understand they are tight. I'm drawn to these rigs more than most new SUV's at least for how I want to use them. I just ordered a few hundred dollars worth of trim parts, snorkel, mudflaps, etc. from UAE for a fender/paint refresh that are currently in production and applicable to pretty much all 70 series wagon models. Many mechanical parts on the KZJ's are compatible with 90's 4 runners and FJ Cruisers, I have even had my ECU rebuilt by a USA rebuilder. Aftermarket accessories for 70 series wagons are widely compatible as well. The VDJ76 still being produced helps with a lot of parts availability for most 70 series wagons. I am quite pleased with the power and efficiency of the 1KZ-TE engine that was widely used in many vehicles and markets so parts aren't exactly difficult to come by. There are some known weak points and mods to help them run cooler with fewer issues. I would be hosed if I needed replacement body panels. While not as robust as the 1HZ engine, I think the KZJ's are still a great option depending on what you want to use the vehicle for. I personally find this thing a blast to daily drive and offroad. The coil suspension front/rear is a smooth ride. In short, if you want the price tag to be <$25k go for a KZJ78, if you got to have the 1HZ and prefer leaf springs over coil suspension for extreme duty 70 series and are good with purchase price of >$40k that would be the way to go. Here we are at Onion Creek in Moab. 3 kids, 4 bikes and gear for a quick weekend of fun.

KZJ781.jpg

Last edited:
HZJ76 would be great all around, I'm excited to see what imports look like in the next 5 years. I wanted a 70 series wagon so I have room for kids and am enjoying the KZJ78 I acquired for under $20k in 2021. The Pickups look sweet but I understand they are tight. I'm drawn to these rigs more than most new SUV's at least for how I want to use them. I just ordered a few hundred dollars worth of trim parts, snorkel, mudflaps, etc. from UAE for a fender/paint refresh that are currently in production and applicable to pretty much all 70 series wagon models. Many mechanical parts on the KZJ's are compatible with 90's 4 runners and FJ Cruisers, I have even had my ECU rebuilt by a USA rebuilder. Aftermarket accessories for 70 series wagons are widely compatible as well. The VDJ76 still being produced helps with a lot of parts availability for most 70 series wagons. I am quite pleased with the power and efficiency of the 1KZ-TE engine that was widely used in many vehicles and markets so parts aren't exactly difficult to come by. There are some known weak points and mods to help them run cooler with fewer issues. I would be hosed if I needed replacement body panels. While not as robust as the 1HZ engine, I think the KZJ's are still a great option depending on what you want to use the vehicle for. I personally find this thing a blast to daily drive and offroad. In short, if you want the price tag to be <$25k go for a KZJ78, if you got to have the 1HZ and prefer leaf springs over coil suspension for extreme duty 70 series and are good with purchase price of >$40k that would be the way to go. Here we are at Onion Creek in Moab. 4 kids, 5 bikes and gear for a quick weekend of fun.

View attachment 3216680
Super cool! Love that cruiser, glad you're enjoying it. That's kind of what I'm thinking - would be nice to be able to buy parts like that.

@ikarus saw this for sale up in Idaho today, pretty cool. Maybe you should buy it.

View attachment 3216699
You know I don't hate it. I was checking out this ex-fire truck in the classifieds that seems cool -

What’s the difference between a HZJ77 and HZJ76? I would guess both same speed?

Front coils/3-link suspension, 5 lug, 10mm hub studs, aluminum 2-core radiator, introduction of the EGR system for the 1HZ, 80 series front axle components (spindle, knuckles, trunnion bearings, etc.), 105 series front disc rotors, proper 80 series e-brake system vs. the 77 specific rear e-brake system. And some other differences (at least for the JDM).

The 76 Series is available in LHD for one. 😊

Beno nailed the critical stuff. For the layman a big difference is the sheet metal. 77 is going to have the narrow nose (avail on a limited number of HZJ76) and the common 76 is going to be the wide nose. (Editted avail of HZJ76 with narrow nose)

1673484448048.png
1673484488441.png

Last edited:
I believe, perhaps incorrectly, that the early 76 Series were also narrow nose. 😊

No, you're correct. I'm neglecting the limited number of HZJ76's built in with the older sheet metal.

Edit: Far from academic but playing with the frame numbers, I'm guessing less than 3k HZJ76's were built in the Aug-99 to Jul-04 time frame. Honestly that is about 5x as I had in my head as existing. If it were not for the 1HZ :D I'd certainly put that high on my want list. I prefer the narrow body but would love front coils more than anything. I'm indifferent to RHD/LHD for personal use a trail machine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom