Builds Travis’s PNW LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time for a new battery. Don't you have your winch isolated? If so you can eliminate that as the draw.

I don't currently have a winch — I'm waiting on the Warn. Previous bad lands was isloated.

Tell us about those post terminals . . . lots of these issues have come down to faulty terminals

Positive is the old slee "upgraded" terminals, the onese before billet. They are really for a group 31 - I'm not running the negative one because it wouldn't fit. So it's a stock negative terminal.

Positive is the old slee "upgraded" terminals, the onese before billet. They are really for a group 31 - I'm not running the negative one because it wouldn't fit. So it's a stock negative terminal.
those terminals have a lot of posts on them . . . with the issues you describe

At this point I'm mostly confident that the battery is the current cause no start issue given that I was able to jump / swap battery. But what I'm not sure of is if there is something causing draw, or again just total coincidence.

I am going on a wheeling trip to Sedona at the end of Feb and am looking for a smoking gun so I can feel better about it!

Ah good luck finding the draw if there is one. I'm sure it's already on your radar but make sure you do the Broken Arrow trail while you're in Sedona.

I can't say every set ever made from the gen 1 extensions isn't working great, but there are lots of threads where this comes up and the fix is replace with something else, and that fixes the problem. Often the replacement is another builder sourced aluminum billet extension for $150.

I personally extended using a quick disconnect on negative, and a $20 piece of copper bar for positive.

<edit - there are plenty of $25 to $50 extensions in the audio amplifier scene as alternatives, too>

The posts from Slee/SDHQ are faulty?
I thought I had a dying AGM after 7+ years in two rigs and I broke down and spent the money for a fresh one, and within a week I started having the same issues. Then I started to move my multimeter around on the various locations of the posts and was getting different readings, so I called Slee.

They said there was an issue with corrosion building up between the part that clamps to the battery terminal and the second part on top of that, clamping on each side. There wasn’t any corrosion visible on mine, but I removed it and sure enough, there was a little hidden corrosion. I filed it all really clean and put them back together. I ordered Slee’s newer billet ones and ran the old just fine until I got the new ones installed.

Hope that helps.

I thought I had a dying AGM after 7+ years in two rigs and I broke down and spent the money for a fresh one, and within a week I started having the same issues. Then I started to move my multimeter around on the various locations of the posts and was getting different readings, so I called Slee.

They said there was an issue with corrosion building up between the part that clamps to the battery terminal and the second part on top of that, clamping on each side. There wasn’t any corrosion visible on mine, but I removed it and sure enough, there was a little hidden corrosion. I filed it all really clean and put them back together. I ordered Slee’s newer billet ones and ran the old just fine until I got the new ones installed.

Hope that helps.

Are you still running the newer ones or did you move on to something else?

Are you still running the newer ones or did you move on to something else?
Yes I am still using the newer billet Slee ones. Probably overkill, since I don’t run a bunch of electrical accessories, but I have no issues with them.

Hope that helps.

Holy s***. @grinchy called it.

The inside of my terminal and the extension are incredibly pitted.

905F8F59-E680-42C9-88B0-47469B8E629C.jpeg

012C8FF6-1F5C-4BCD-A11E-6253941350ED.jpeg

among my mud friends, I’m no longer convinced this wasn’t a wild good chase and I just preemptively replaced my starter.

View attachment 3216721

View attachment 3216720

among my mud friends, I’m no longer convinced this wasn’t a wild good chase and I just preemptively replaced my starter.
You’re just practicing patience and became more familiar with the starter replacement process to help the next guy out.

I didn’t think of my own issue until I saw your picture of your old Slee terminal and thought, “I wonder if…” And sure enough, @grinchy had already commented it 👌🏼

It says QC right on the terminal. That is some next level subliminal right there.

View attachment 3216721

View attachment 3216720

If it makes you feel any better, I believe you did have a starter issue based on the original symptoms. The way I see it is that your terminals and battery ultimately failed as a result of how things played out. Helped along by the deep draw from winch use.

Lead acid batteries tend to release gasses when they're stressed. In a long pull and with deep discharge, they'll out gas exascerbating any corrosion that was already there. And finally caused these other things to give up the ghost.

Good thing is you're re-baselined on these components and good to go.

Bummer. When’s your next trip scheduled?

Next big trip is end of feb to sedona but missing lots of opportunity for snow wheeling.

I found a vanlife place in Utah that has one. I asked the sales person to walk to the warehouse and double check lol. Crossing my fingers.

Next big trip is end of feb to sedona but missing lots of opportunity for snow wheeling.

I found a vanlife place in Utah that has one. I asked the sales person to walk to the warehouse and double check lol. Crossing my fingers.
Probably a good idea to have them double check prior to making that commitment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom