Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (57 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All my worrying was for not, the 200 came out looking absolutely fantastic in my opinion after adding the Dobinson IMS 2.0-2.5" Suspension Lift, Icon Vector 5's, & 285/75/r17 Toyo AT3s

7E5A4D84-9001-4B4A-9D49-FA82EFAAA0D2.jpeg

F22B45F3-0C86-4C59-84CD-467F49FB5ADD.jpeg

CC8E3A4A-8EC0-407F-A40A-CC191384B7B9.jpeg

0CBED976-C462-4B16-84D1-3CEAEF21F4FD.jpeg

KofA broke my Taco again.

Lower control arm broke on the way home.
569B9120-1C08-441A-9C91-00B450EFC380.jpeg
66D13FC7-6A08-4DB5-857F-66847B2936AD.jpeg
F7D8F979-7407-47F2-A1B0-154B2242602C.jpeg
😞 Glad it happened after I got off I-10 or it would have been catastrophic.

Yikes!

I spent today pulling all the BO parts off the driver side. My list of needed parts has dramatically increased over what I thought I would need.

1. I had been intending to rebuild my leaking Icon coilovers but was quoted $502 to rebuild them by the local Icon authorized shop in Gilbert. The high cost is because I bought them in 2008 and in order to rebuild them they require a new head unit. For a few dollars more I bought a new set of rebuildable Fox coilovers.

2. One of the camber adjusting bolts has quite a bit of wear from the worn out bushing allowing metal to metal contact. New sets of camber adjusters turn out to be quite pricey :frown: and I should really get all four sets.

3. Since I'm tearing everything apart anyway, I ordered new upper control arm bushings. I have been using Camburg UCAs for the last 165,000 miles, and they recommend changing bushings at 150,000 miles.

4. I'll pull the axle shafts and replace the diff seals. They have been oozing diff oil for the last five or six years, so might as well replace them.

5. After pulling everything off I found that my driver side wheel bearing is making a grating noise. At 175,000 miles it is probably past time to replace both front wheel bearings.

6. Need new brake pads. Might true up the rotors also, but they look OK.

7. New lower control arms. There are a dozen choices for Tacoma LCAs - everything from $50 junkyard pulls to multi-thousand dollar race truck parts. I went with the Camburg LCAs because I trust their engineering and fabrication skills. I have had zero problems with the Camburg upper control arms I bought in 2008 and expect the same experience with the lower control arms.

The new Camburg lower control arms showed up today! Seriously beefy and I hope I never break one of these.

1 7D_44895-Small.jpg

Clearly damaged goods
7D_44885-Small.jpg
7D_44887-Small.jpg

Turns out the bushings are shot on all four lower control arm attachments. Toyota LCAs are not rebuildable and have to be replaced as a unit.
7D_44889-Small.jpg

THIS is why I went with the Camburg LCAs. Tubing is about four times thicker than Toyota's wrap-around POS.
7D_44897-Small.jpg
7D_44898-Small.jpg

Much larger welded area as well on the Camburgs.
7D_44899-Small.jpg

This LCA had been cracked for a long time based on the rusted torn section, but the cracked part was hidden inside the wrap where you couldn't see it.
7D_44901-Small.jpg
7D_44902-Small.jpg

The last 1/4 of an inch finally broke off. I had been driving a literal death trap for God knows how long. It will be interesting to see if the passenger side LCA is cracked as well.
7D_44903-Small.jpg

Sorry to hear about this Steve, but it's looks like your Taco will be beef after all of this is done. Keep us updated, I'm curious since I might have to plan for this in the future.

Sorry to hear about this Steve, but it's looks like your Taco will be beef after all of this is done. Keep us updated, I'm curious since I might have to plan for this in the future.
Thanks . . .

At the very least please examine all four of your LCA attachment points. Clean them very good and use a magnifier glass to examine every surface.

Mine tore inside the wrap and I'm not sure it would have been evident from an inspection - but I wish I had looked at them on a regular basis.

Finally got a chance to start wrenching on my son's Taco this week. Installed RCI front and tans skid plates, new Shrockworks front bumper, Smittybuilt winch, White Knuckle sliders, new SPC upper control arms, New toyota lower arms, new ball joints, new CV joints, , 3" OME lift with Dakar springs, diff drop, BAHA Designs cube lights, custom made rear bumper valance with backup lights and license plate relocate and finally an Auxbeam lighting controller. Winch is not wired yet, ran out of time and he has to finish up his senior year at NAU. It will have to wait till spring break.
20230101_123818.jpg

Exhaust drop was not sufficient to really clear the springs, will need to drop further or cut and resupport. Had to fab some small parts here and there. Some before and after pics.
20230101_123804.jpg
20221224_082454.jpg
20221229_131801.jpg

Finally got a chance to start wrenching on my son's Taco this week. Installed RCI front and tans skid plates, new Shrockworks front bumper, Smittybuilt winch, White Knuckle sliders, new SPC upper control arms, New toyota lower arms, new ball joints, new CV joints, , 3" OME lift with Dakar springs, diff drop, BAHA Designs cube lights, custom made rear bumper valance with backup lights and license plate relocate and finally an Auxbeam lighting controller. Winch is not wired yet, ran out of time and he has to finish up his senior year at NAU. It will have to wait till spring break.
View attachment 3207284
Exhaust drop was not sufficient to really clear the springs, will need to drop further or cut and resupport. Had to fab some small parts here and there. Some before and after pics.View attachment 3207281View attachment 3207271View attachment 3207280
Good looking rig, love the 1st gen Tacoma. Would love the opportunity to build one and eventually do a solid axle swap.

Thanks . . .

At the very least please examine all four of your LCA attachment points. Clean them very good and use a magnifier glass to examine every surface.

Mine tore inside the wrap and I'm not sure it would have been evident from an inspection - but I wish I had looked at them on a regular basis.
Looking at your new LCA makes me want to get them.

Looking at your new LCA makes me want to get them.
I thought about getting LCAs when I first lifted the Taco, but I was only concerned about getting UCAs so I could align the truck after putting the Icon coilovers in. I looked at a lot of brands and Camburg seemed to be the only company that had actual engineers designing parts. Everyone else seemed to be welding cwap up in their parent's garage.

It will be a shame to let these new LCAs sit out in the weather and get dirty out on the trails, but I have high hopes for their longevity.

I thought about getting LCAs when I first lifted the Taco, but I was only concerned about getting UCAs so I could align the truck after putting the Icon coilovers in. I looked at a lot of brands and Camburg seemed to be the only company that had actual engineers designing parts. Everyone else seemed to be welding cwap up in their parent's garage.

It will be a shame to let these new LCAs sit out in the weather and get dirty out on the trails, but I have high hopes for their longevity.
What's the part number for your LCA? The one I saw online has different balljoints.

What's the part number for your LCA? The one I saw online has different balljoints.
I ordered directly from Camburg. I don’t think I need the fancy bump stop so I ordered just the basic LCAs.

CAMBURG TOYOTA TACOMA PRE/4WD 05-15 PERFORMANCE SLAPPER LOWER CONTROL ARM KIT​

Code: CAM-310166
  • Stock length replacement
  • Designed for 2.5 Slapper Bump Stop System
  • Uniball frame pivots
    1672668453796.jpeg

Thanks . . .

Let us know how the right lca looked.

Two days before driving my 80 to Moab for Christmas, my PS pump decided it would be a good time to go out so I figured it was time to do a steering gear box rebuild too. Thanks @peacesells63 for supplying the kit. All new seals and the 105 Series sector shaft/pitman arm upgrade. I made an "SST" (14mm nut welded to a socket haha) to install the stake nut on the sector shaft, installed the goodies, checked clearances and preload per FSM specs and reinstalled. It is MUCH nicer on the road. I would encourage anyone to do this rebuild if they have high mileage and/or 35" or larger tires. It seems intimidating but really isn't bad at all. About 4 hours including the R&R from the truck.

20221231_104417.jpg

20230101_142833.jpg

Fancy SST :D
20230102_112649.jpg

20230105_221022.jpg

20230107_133325.jpg

Last edited:
@Mattman, good job! I tried and failed on my second and last 80 series steering box rebuild last month, bailing instead for a rebuilt box. Those damn ball bearings😤!!

A buddy of mine wanted to do his drone thing in the snow--so we went snow wheelin'--this was last week up around my favorite place to wheel, The Rim:

Zona

A buddy of mine wanted to do his drone thing in the snow--so we went snow wheelin'--this was last week up around my favorite place to wheel, The Rim:

Zona

Very cool!

Zona

I like the part where you drove through the hot cocoa lake! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom