Transmission, Transfer case & Differentials oil ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m planning on changing the oil in the transmission, transfer case and differentials in my 82 FJ 60. What do you guys recommend ?

75-90 GL4 for the transmission, 75-90 GL5 for the t-case and diffs. Regular gear oil is good enough and buy more than you think you'll need.
Both of my diffs, the transmission, and the transfer case seem to take slightly more than the FSM states to get the fluid level to the bottom of the fill hole. Perhaps Toyota wanted a little bit less oil than than “bottom of the fill hole”. But yeah, I always get more than I need anyway. Getting every last drop out of a bottle is almost impossible.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but if the transmission fluid leaked into the transfer case, would you notice right away? Or would it be hard to tell?

I vote for @ToyotaMatt going into business making “new” Land Cruisers from the ground up. Factory-focused, vintage-teq, period-correct 60s & 40s. He’ll need a small army of true TEQ-minded parts making subcontractors, but we have that in this community. Let’s do this!!

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but if the transmission fluid leaked into the transfer case, would you notice right away? Or would it be hard to tell?
It would be a slow leak. It almost certainly wouldn’t happen in a single moment unless something else goes horribly wrong. You wouldn’t notice it unless you are diligent about checking your fluid levels.

Probably just as important as “what” is “how” to pump all that oil in. Its a semi miserable job unless you use a nice pumper.

Probably just as important as “what” is “how” to pump all that oil in. Its a semi miserable job unless you use a nice pumper.
I used to have a lever-style hand pump that was made to fit into a 5 gallon bucket. However, I would just stick the pump suction tube in the gallon jug, which was a little bit precarious. More recently started using a pressurized sprayer (made for garden use). This works well for lower viscosity fluids, but is a little bit slow for gear oil. Last time I used it for gear oil I determined the spray valve was probably rate limiting and made a mental note to try and replace with something else.

I tried that purple stuff. Pinion seal started leaking a few weeks later. Had more metal in in it than the old oil. I changed back and not a problem since. It was back in 2016, I don't remember the details.

Remove both fill plugs (not drain plugs) first (always a good idea no matter what) and see if oil pours out. In my experience, the vent cap gets clogged on xfer cases, and the transmission overfills.

My solution is to remove the vent cap, rubber disk, and spring from the breather (not the threaded stub in the xfer case) and slide a piece of 3/8" fuel line over the stub, and clamp it with a hose clamp. Run the fuel hose up high. You can do this on axles as well. Toyota's spring-loaded vent cap works fine until the cap gets glued on with gummy gear oil and effectively forms a seal and stops venting.

In the most extreme case, I removed the fill plug from my FJ55 front axle (when the vent was plugged and the axle was warm), and the fill plug literally blew out with a 'whoosh' of air. Not good, unless you like pinion seal leaks. After I installed a proper vent hose, the pinion seal stopped leaking. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom