My TLC experience (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW, you can swap a 70 series rear axle on your 40 to get rear e brake on the axle.
Hindsight, that's what I should've done.

Over confidence + lack of preparation + deep snow = stuck(ish) in a hurry. 😆

3rd gear, 4000rpm and some aggressive forward & backward action and I was able to get out. I was pretty sure digging was in my immediate future for a bit there.

20230108_144459.jpg

Holy schnikies have power to all four is impressive.

I'm pretty dang happy with this. Looks nice and should be plenty durable for what I need to do.

Some of the mounting bolts are going to be a straight up mofo to get in and tight. Other than that. I'm calling this a win.

I still need to figure out the tire carrier, and the swing out on the passenger side for a removable basket. I can't find a locking system I really like. I bought some pins that are spring loaded. It looks like everyone uses the same one, but also use a lever/cam setup.

I'm just going to hose it down with a sealer and call it good until I get the swing outs figured out, and the front bumper. Then I'll have everything powder coated at the same time. I'm not sure what color yet. I'm thinking a really dark grey. I'm hesitant to go black, but I don't really have a reason why.

View attachment 2898215

View attachment 2898216

View attachment 2898217

View attachment 2898218
I must have missed a step between your wood prototype and the finished bumper. Did you have your metal man use the same files to cut out the pieces in steel? This is one of the best bumper designs I've ever seen for a 40. Or maybe guys who like green 40s and Vizslas have similar tastes.

I must have missed a step between your wood prototype and the finished bumper. Did you have your metal man use the same files to cut out the pieces in steel? This is one of the best bumper designs I've ever seen for a 40. Or maybe guys who like green 40s and Vizslas have similar tastes.

No, he redrew it in Solidworks I think? My construction method wasn't great for metal assembly. I was just trying to get the shape and dimensions where I wanted by making it outta wood. Fab dude bent up most of the parts so I ended up with radius'd edges in a bunch of places.

I love that bumper. It's stout, not overly intrusive, and has decent lines to it. The swing outs are kick ass too now that is dialed in. I rarely have the basket on, and while a pain in the ass to take on and off, it's not horrible.

And the Vizsla is the best dog. Anyone who says otherwise, them fighting words. 😆

Wrapped up my brakes this morning. After finally understanding the one side, the other only took ten minutes. Popped the wheels back on, got it off the stands, and hit all the lug nuts with a torque wrench.

Glad to have that project done, and have my cruiser out of my brother's way again.

It's a way better setup than the original drums. Not just because of the hand brake being in the drum, it's just a better design than the goofy dual wheel cylinder configuration.

20230120_170657.jpg

Drove home on the gravels to avoid the nasty chemicals on the paved roads.

20230121_103534.jpg

Tucked away for the foreseeable future, or until the roads clean up. I'm guessing that'll be April some time.

20230121_104538.jpg

I have this little bracket on my tire carrier for a backup camera. I won't be using it for that. I thought about mounting a third brake light up high, but I hadn't found s light I liked. Might be a decent spot for the CB antenna. Might also be too low. We'll see.

20230121_104420.jpg

Wrapped up my brakes this morning. After finally understanding the one side, the other only took ten minutes. Popped the wheels back on, got it off the stands, and hit all the lug nuts with a torque wrench.

Glad to have that project done, and have my cruiser out of my brother's way again.

It's a way better setup than the original drums. Not just because of the hand brake being in the drum, it's just a better design than the goofy dual wheel cylinder configuration.

View attachment 3226157

Drove home on the gravels to avoid the nasty chemicals on the paved roads.

View attachment 3226154

Tucked away for the foreseeable future, or until the roads clean up. I'm guessing that'll be April some time.

View attachment 3226155

I have this little bracket on my tire carrier for a backup camera. I won't be using it for that. I thought about mounting a third brake light up high, but I hadn't found s light I liked. Might be a decent spot for the CB antenna. Might also be too low. We'll see.

View attachment 3226156

We usually stick a camp light up there, pretty useful as a backup / work light as well.

We usually stick a camp light up there, pretty useful as a backup / work light as well.
A lower wattage light might be nice. I've got the tree burner lights in the rear bumper already.

Hmm, I should see if there is a clear lens option out there that has both white and red LED. Then I could do both. I'm betting there's something out there.

Probably wouldn't be that hard to take an existing housing and just trim a board to fit in it, and solder up my own lights.
The stupid projects I would take on if I had more time and a winning lotto ticket. 😆

Think that is going to be high enough for the antenna DJ?

Think that is going to be high enough for the antenna DJ?

Above roofline wouldn't hurt, but for the capacity that you will most likely be using that radio, it will be just fine.

Goddammit....

20230124_083508.jpg

20230124_083522.jpg

Popped up for sale locally. Very little rust. Some really sketchy shtuff going on with the wiring.

Almost made it home before the check engine light came on. 😆

It's got a nice winch in it, and a ARB bumper on it. Whole thing is covered in bedliner. 😆

Hindsight, that's what I should've done.

Over confidence + lack of preparation + deep snow = stuck(ish) in a hurry. 😆

3rd gear, 4000rpm and some aggressive forward & backward action and I was able to get out. I was pretty sure digging was in my immediate future for a bit there.

View attachment 3213786

Holy schnikies have power to all four is impressive.
Tell that dog "that's the last time I toss you the keys" ;)

Looks like I'm not the only one who recently picked up an 80 distraction to thier current 40 build haha

FB_IMG_1672528414405.jpg

If that's the 80 I think it is, it used to be green in a past life

Screenshot_20230131-184055_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230131-184101_Facebook.jpg

Awesome build and I think is cool to see you using all your woodworking tools to customize your 40.

I have a couple technical questions on the swap with the R2.8. I know you are reusing an H55 and split case that were already in the truck.
1. Did you retain the stock flywheel, clutch, and bell housing from the 2F and it is just an adapter ring to the R2.8?
2. Do you know if you are using the FJ40 or FJ60 top cover for the H55?

Thanks!

Looks like I'm not the only one who recently picked up an 80 distraction to thier current 40 build haha

View attachment 3238726

If that's the 80 I think it is, it used to be green in a past life

View attachment 3238728

View attachment 3238729
My buddy just picked up one that is green and covered in bed liner. Might be the same rig as his?

Mine came from Colorado. A shady dealer bought it on auction to be a personal rig, found out they drive mediocre, and it sat for almost a year until I picked it up

Awesome build and I think is cool to see you using all your woodworking tools to customize your 40.

I have a couple technical questions on the swap with the R2.8. I know you are reusing an H55 and split case that were already in the truck.
1. Did you retain the stock flywheel, clutch, and bell housing from the 2F and it is just an adapter ring to the R2.8?
2. Do you know if you are using the FJ40 or FJ60 top cover for the H55?

Thanks!
Small block clutch, flywheel, bellhousing, and an adapter to make the r2.8 think it's a small block is how I understand that works. DJ would know best, he did a buddy of the fab and install work.

I'm not certain which cover it came with. It's forward, which makes me think it's a 40. I'm not certain though

My buddy just picked up one that is green and covered in bed liner. Might be the same rig as his?

Mine came from Colorado. A shady dealer bought it on auction to be a personal rig, found out they drive mediocre, and it sat for almost a year until I picked it up

May be his, know it was for sale at one point not too long ago. Just noticed fenders are trimmed so not yours. It was also from Colorado.

Screenshot_20230131-184155_Facebook.jpg

Small block clutch, flywheel, bellhousing, and an adapter to make the r2.8 think it's a small block is how I understand that works. DJ would know best, he did a buddy of the fab and install work.

I'm not certain which cover it came with. It's forward, which makes me think it's a 40. I'm not certain though
Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the information.

Most h55s we use are stock moder toyota ones, I think they would be considered a 70 series top cover.

Karl is right on everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom