CV failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd make sure that your installer and alignment shop didn't adjust the SPC Control arms too far forward, causing the CV issues before I put another CV in. @TexAZ had some issues breaking multiple CVs due to overzealous adjustment of his UCAs to try and gain more clearance at the back of the wheel well.

How can one check for that? Sorry, my IFS alignment knowledge is zero.

Ok I have the CV and axle nut coming from Olathe. The installer is going to replace it for me, he feels horrible. I am guessing that I should go ahead and replace the gear oil in the differential since we are in there and I have 55K miles on it as it is. Any links or suggestions on diff fluid change for the front diff?
You might want to have a seal on hand. There is a left and a right side seal, so get the correct one.

Fi
How can one check for that? Sorry, my IFS alignment knowledge is zero.
I'd look for two things:
1) Are the cams on the LCAs way off from each other? I.E. Forward cam is all the way in, Rear cam is all the way out
2) do the CV angles look significantly awkward? These pics from the linked thread look like the CVs are at a pretty extreme angle front to back.

1673026188543.png

You might want to have a seal on hand. There is a left and a right side seal, so get the correct one.

The seals that go into the diff? Sorry, hard to know what all I am needing and sourcing when the truck is 1.5 hours away from me.

Fi

I'd look for two things:
1) Are the cams on the LCAs way off from each other? I.E. Forward cam is all the way in, Rear cam is all the way out
2) do the CV angles look significantly awkward? These pics from the linked thread look like the CVs are at a pretty extreme angle front to back.

View attachment 3211929

What is the orientation of this pic? Not sure what angle I am seeing this from!

Glad the installer is supporting the fix. It seems the simplest and cheapest path for all involved, $500 for the CV and associated parts, and a couple hours for the installer to swap it iin.

The seals that go into the diff? Sorry, hard to know what all I am needing and sourcing when the truck is 1.5 hours away from me.

Yeah, into the diff. They sometimes get damaged when removing\replacing the CV.

It sounds like one of the Balls fell out of the cage when they over extended the CV to install you Coilovers. They probably reengaged it, but it was too late. The ball probably logged itself somewhere in the boot and broke free at some point while a aligning and started to hit the cage.

As long as the cage or CV end isn't damaged, reboot it and keep it as a spare. It's really easy to do with a good pair of soap ring pliers.

There is also a thing retaining ring that holds the cage into the end. If its overextended and pulled out, that could be rattling around as well.

Seems like its all been handled.
Just wise advice for anyone, if anyone really over extends their cv when installing suspension and it pulls out completely. The best thing to do is to pull the Inner Boot clamp off, pull the boot back and make sure everything is reseated. A 2 dollar clamp, a bunch of shop towels and a tube of Toyota inner CV grease is all you need to be back to normal. It can be done on the truck without pulling the whole CV.

These are the ones I found. Not sure if they are right.

1673032020623.png

1673031867306.png

1673032014370.png

Last edited:
Wondering if this is my issue. I rrecently had iinstalled heavy duty omu coil overs to accommodate my winch bumper set up. Upon picking up I would hear clunking going over speed bumps and driveways. Usually 1st thing in the morning. No vibrations. It's barely lifted at around 1" maybe. Cruiser Outfitters told me during ordering. I triple check all bolts and all snugged to spec. I thought it was just the new suspension settling under the weight. Damn more money to spend now

Wondering if this is my issue. I rrecently had iinstalled heavy duty omu coil overs to accommodate my winch bumper set up. Upon picking up I would hear clunking going over speed bumps and driveways. Usually 1st thing in the morning. No vibrations. It's barely lifted at around 1" maybe. Cruiser Outfitters told me during ordering. I triple check all bolts and all snugged to spec. I thought it was just the new suspension settling under the weight. Damn more money to spend now
Doubtful. If it's clunking on bumps something is shifting around. Does the clunk come from the front or rear? If it's the rear check to make sure the spring is properly seated in the perch at the bottom and not turned past the stop at the end of the perch. If it's the front I'd want to make sure everything is correctly tightened and also is not making any contact anywhere.

Definitely not the same thing.

Ok cool guys. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll check again. Possible sway bar bushings? My 08 LC does have 224k on it.

Consider putting a new seal into the knuckle as well.

90316-83001

Pic is looking down from above. It looks like the axle is shifted a good bit forwards.

Well the half-shaft definitely let go, angles don't look bad so I am willing to say that it doesn't look like the alignment pushed things too far forward. I am willing to bet that it simply wasn't reseated correctly during the lift install. The new CV should be going in tonight, hopefully I'll have it back home tomorrow evening.

Last edited:
Well the half-shaft definitely let go, angles don't look bad so I am willing to say that it doesn't look like the alignment pushed things too far forward. I am willing to bet that it simply wasn't reseated correctly during the lift install. The new CV should be going in tonight, hopefully I'll have it back home tomorrow evening.

Forbidden banana pudding

Installer has the new CV in, all good. He said the cast cage exploded on the failed one. No idea what exactly caused it but he took responsibility. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom