How important are the exhaust manifold heat shields? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
91 3fe

Pulled the heat shields off to looks for an exhaust leak today (wish I hadn’t… the leak was at one of the Y pipe connectors 😒)

In the process, all but 2 bolts snapped. One on each remains.

Anyone running without them? Is it worth the effort to go through the bolt removal?

My 91 has been without them for the past 25 years.

Still have them on my 92. I don't see any reason to remove them, but I also don't miss them on my 91.

There must be a *little* more heat hitting the firewall on the 91, but never to where I've noticed. :meh:

Same thing happened to me with the 2fe in my 60. I never got around to fixing it, and though it was fine for the 6 years I had it, it always bothered me and made me nervous for the long term

Pretty sure the lack of heat shields is the direct cause for engine fires and head gasket issues... 😂

You just made room for a Burrito Tray up there in time for your next run; take advantage of it, and know that every hot burrito you eat on a run made your engine thermal efficiency that much better over stock.

Pretty sure the lack of heat shields is the direct cause for engine fires and head gasket issues... 😂

You just made room for a Burrito Tray up there in time for your next run; take advantage of it, and know that every hot burrito you eat on a run made your engine thermal efficiency that much better over stock.
He's talking about the ones on the downpipes.

I just took off some rusted heat shields that were causing the most annoying rattle ... wondering if I should bother replacing them.

IMG_2481.JPG
IMG_2482.JPG

Get ready for an extra 3 degrees on your feet 🤣

He appears to be driving an LX470, but the effect is the the same, hot feet, possibly heat damage to any wiring bundles/plastics/rubber/seam sealer/painted surfaces under the vehicle, ---), and increased chance of catching something on fire (undercoating, tall grass/weeds,---).

He appears to be driving an LX470, but the effect is the the same, hot feet, possibly heat damage to any wiring bundles/plastics/rubber/seam sealer/painted surfaces under the vehicle, ---), and increased chance of catching something on fire (undercoating, tall grass/weeds,---).

Yeah, same difference 🤣

I like to live dangerously......

That's the way to do it, but purchase a decent fire extinguisher just in case eh? ;)

Regards

Dave

I actually replaced all mine under the truck when I did the head gasket. I cleaned them all up (or replaced the rusty ones) and painted them with a high heat ceramic paint for longevity's sake. The only ones I don't have now are the ones over the exhaust manifolds. But, I do also have a fire extinguisher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom