Helping A Newb Feel Comfortable - Planned buy 05 4 Runner Sport SR5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I've been looking for a vehicle that is utilitarian, can tow a little bit, (thinking about 3k lbs) and can future-proof me for a few years. I don't currently go off-roading or camping but eventually, plan to. I came across a 05 V8 4 Runner Sport 4wd with 167k miles and the guy told me 10,250 out the door with taxes, title and registration. I just started reading through forums and doing a bit of research but I don't know if I'll be able to make my way through all that I need to feel confident in the purchase. I feel like it's a good deal, but I only know so much. This is my first time with an AWD vehicle so I'm a complete newb. I did put it in neutral, then changed from 4 hi to low and the light on the dash stayed solid. I then pressed the center diff button on the left of the dash and the lights went to VST off and the center diff icon stayed solid. That all looked good to me. The car drove straight and has service records through the nose, 90% done at Toyota and it just got the timing belt changed for the second time. Recent things I noticed on the service records are the water pump and alternator (same time as the timing belt), plugs, struts, shock absorbers, and sway bar bushings, all recently replaced.

There's a good bit of rust at the bottom of the back hatch. I was planning on taking it to a body shop for them to fix it. Then I was going to have them maybe sandblast the surface rust on the bottom of the SUV and maybe put some type of liner on it it? I was told that I could get an oil spray undercoating. (I'll search that up)

Other than that and some scratches, dings, and the front headlight housing getting some moisture in there I feel like the car is right for me. My last question is, between the trims, is there something on the limited or an optional thing that everyone says is a must-have that I should be aware of? Any advice or inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

first of all WELCOME TO MUD...... :)

- all your questions , concerns and well curiosities are valid and well communicated too '

- your biggest thing to be aware of more and get a bit more TECH> under your belt by reading and studying online is the whole broad brush topic of :

RUST and corrosion '

- is this a 5speed manual or a ATM ?

- if a a ATM , google the whole PINK-MILKSHAKE topic from a failed Radiator internally , this WILL be and MUST be the first DAM part u get , and simply change out if this truck is a ATM , and you just well ..........

better do this because the original factory radiators fail at about your stated mileage above

- it would TOAST your ATM in a matter of single digit miles period

i can't emphasize the ATM new radiator topic enough here if you have a ATM in this 05 your looking at ?

- i don't care if the PO has a reciept saying he swapped it out last year for example

- just plan on this before u buy it and purchase the DENSO First time fit new radiator

let me know if u need a part # ?

good luck and your no longer a newb , or what ever that means , because your now better set up for success here in your prospecting purchase

kindly matt

Lastly ,

please check out my close friend Mrs. Faye Hadley's you tube TOYOTA specific educational and resourse channel :)

she is also a 4 year T-TEN program graduate , and covers a wide range of basics for ALL Toyota vehicle platforms

please subscribe to her TECH Channel ,

its filled with progressive , easy to follow step by steps fundamental info

perfect for a person whom is just getting into a 2005 4runner

Thank you so much! I pulled the trigger and got the 4runner. I'm going to buy the Denso radiator today.

I've already started looking at ways to remove rust on the undercarriage. That actually is a bit more challenging than I thought. My initial idea was to sandblast the undercarriage and then apply a product like Fluid Film or Blaster Surface Shield. The issue I'm running into is, no one wants to sandblast the undercarriage. I really wanted there to be no rust before I applied a product over the rust. My search will continue.

You have to watch this guy's Youtube channel where he thoroughly and methodically covers rustproofing the underside of your vehicle utilizing a lanolin product, and specifically covers doing it for vehicles with current rust. He recommends Blaster Surface Shield. Maybe you have seen it. It is extremely good. Best of luck!

You have to watch this guy's Youtube channel where he thoroughly and methodically covers rustproofing the underside of your vehicle utilizing a lanolin product, and specifically covers doing it for vehicles with current rust. He recommends Blaster Surface Shield. Maybe you have seen it. It is extremely good. Best of luck!

Okay, my friend must see this vid! We'll work on this 4Runner project after installing the brake pads and tires from 4Wheelonline this weekend. We got some rust to take care of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom