Pre-03 nav delete how-to (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The non-Tesla screen arrived intact and it looks great! Hopefully I’ll find some time to install it this weekend and report back.

The non-Tesla screen arrived intact and it looks great! Hopefully I’ll find some time to install it this weekend and report back.

Great to hear ..looking forward to detailed photos .

So approximately 5-6 years ago I was sitting on the beach on vacation. Being away from work gave me time to think about catching up on some items I wanted to complete, one being switching out the nav screen on our 2001 LC. I found a seller through this site specialized in Toyota LC parts. I called them and asked if they had the bezel with the AC knobs and the associated pigtails. I was adamant about needing the pigtails. They assured me they would send exactly what I needed, something like $425 if I remember correctly. I told them my current bezel was black, no wood grain.

The box was delivered once home from vacation. On the shelf it went. Well we moved, the box got moved and stored in the garage.

Last year around summer my son asked when and if we were ever going to do the switchout. Opened the box to get ready and of course only the bezel and no pigtails and wood grain. Both of my sons have made calls to junkyards and have struck out on finding any pigtails.

Can anyone give any insight into where to find pigtails? looks like I missed a classified this summer for some from a member that decided to go a different route.

Is this still the way to go? I see other routes above (although no real finished product) with larger screens and controls built in.

So approximately 5-6 years ago I was sitting on the beach on vacation. Being away from work gave me time to think about catching up on some items I wanted to complete, one being switching out the nav screen on our 2001 LC. I found a seller through this site specialized in Toyota LC parts. I called them and asked if they had the bezel with the AC knobs and the associated pigtails. I was adamant about needing the pigtails. They assured me they would send exactly what I needed, something like $425 if I remember correctly. I told them my current bezel was black, no wood grain.

The box was delivered once home from vacation. On the shelf it went. Well we moved, the box got moved and stored in the garage.

Last year around summer my son asked when and if we were ever going to do the switchout. Opened the box to get ready and of course only the bezel and no pigtails and wood grain. Both of my sons have made calls to junkyards and have struck out on finding any pigtails.

Can anyone give any insight into where to find pigtails? looks like I missed a classified this summer for some from a member that decided to go a different route.

Is this still the way to go? I see other routes above (although no real finished product) with larger screens and controls built in.

Keep an eye on someone parting out their LC in the classifieds for the pig tails

Still the best option IMO:
1. you get OEM climate controls (rotary knobs beat touch screen all day)
2. You have a double din opening to put almost any head unit you could want, modern ones come with 10" screens in some cases with android auto/apple carplay all wireless. Pretty dope.
3. You don't have to use an android based H/U that seem to all have quirks/issues

Keep an eye on someone parting out their LC in the classifieds for the pig tails

2. You have a double din opening to put almost any head unit you could want
3. You don't have to use an android based H/U that seem to all have quirks/issues

Agree with all you said as far as what I want out of the end product. Now just to find the parts.

2. You have a double din opening to put almost any head unit you could want, modern ones come with 10" screens in some cases with android auto/apple carplay all wireless. Pretty dope.
Totally agree, touch screens have a novelty factor but way to much risk for tech getting obsoleted, bugs cropping up, etc.

Just did this modification to my 2002 LC a few days ago without cutting and using pigtails. I ended up finding a LC panel without the pigtails and used new connectors. I pulled the wires/terminals from the old connectors and put them into the correct locations in the new connectors.

Most of the terminals were the same on the old connectors vs the new connectors but around half a dozen or so needed to be re-terminated with the correct terminal.

The connectors are TE Connectivity parts and I bought connectors A, B and D through Mouser using the manufacture part numbers. I couldn't find connector C in stock as a TE part so I ordered connector C through my dealership using Toyota PN.

Connector part numbers are:
A - 26 pin - TE Connectivity part # 917992-1 - Toyota PN 90980-11390
B - 16 pin - TE Connectivity part # 917981-1 - Toyota PN 90980-11391
D - 22 pin - TE Connectivity part # 917989-1 - Toyota PN 90980-11392
C - 12 pin - TE Connectivity part # 917975-1 - Toyota PN 90980-11408

I also ordered extra pins. The new connectors use two types of terminals. TE Connectivity 0.070 and 0.040 Multilock series terminals. I ordered 50 of each but only used a few of each.
0.040 Multilock Terminals - TE Connectivity Part # 175265-1
0.070 Multilock Terminals - TE Connectivity Part # 175269-1

Everything went well with the swap. Thanks to everyone which put in the hard work to identify each pin change and put together the pdf to make this pretty straightforward. If you go the same route as I did, I do recommend a proper crimper for the few terminals needed to be swapped. I used something like this with the correct jaw for open barrel type terminals.
IMG-1705 - Copy.jpg

IMG-1706 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Just did this modification to my 2002 LC a few days ago. I ended up ordering a LC panel without the pigtails and then used new connectors instead of trying to source the pigtails by swapping each wire from the old connectors to the new connectors. Most of the terminals were the same on the old connectors vs the new connectors but around half a dozen or so needed to be re-terminated with the correct terminal.

The connectors are TE Connectivity parts and I bought connectors A, B and D through Mouser using the manufacture part numbers. I couldn't find connector E in stock as a TE part so I ordered connector E through my dealership using Toyota PN.

D - 22 pin - TE Connectivity part # 917989-1 - Toyota PN 9080-11392
E - 12 pin - TE Connectivity part # 917975-1 - Toyota PN 90980-11408

I also ordered extra pins. The new connectors use two types of terminals. TE Connectivity 0.070 and 0.040 Multilock series terminals. I ordered 50 of each but only used a few of each.

Everything went well with the swap. Thanks to everyone which put in the hard work to identify each pin change and put together the pdf to make this pretty straightforward. If you go the same route as I did, I do recommend a proper crimper for the few terminals needed to be swapped. I used something like this with the correct jaw for open barrel type terminals.
View attachment 3211388
View attachment 3211390
Great job

Just did this modification to my 2002 LC a few days ago. I ended up ordering a LC panel without the pigtails and then used new connectors instead of trying to source the pigtails by swapping each wire from the old connectors to the new connectors. Most of the terminals were the same on the old connectors vs the new connectors but around half a dozen or so needed to be re-terminated with the correct terminal.

The connectors are TE Connectivity parts and I bought connectors A, B and D through Mouser using the manufacture part numbers. I couldn't find connector E in stock as a TE part so I ordered connector E through my dealership using Toyota PN.

Could you re-write this sentence? I am missing something from it and don't understand you here?

I ended up ordering a LC panel without the pigtails and then used new connectors instead of trying to source the pigtails by swapping each wire from the old connectors to the new connectors.

Could you re-write this sentence? I am missing something from it and don't understand you here?

Sorry, can't find a way to edit my post.

I performed this mod without using the pigtails off another vehicle or cutting the wires. I pulled the wires/terminals from the old connectors and put them into the correct locations in the new connectors. No pigtails or cutting needed.

Sorry, can't find a way to edit my post.

I performed this mod without using the pigtails off another vehicle or cutting the wires. I pulled the wires/terminals from the old connectors and put them into the correct locations in the new connectors. No pigtails or cutting needed.

Ok, that's what I thought you might be saying. Looks very clean what you did here. Nice job! Thanx for supplying all the numbers and what not!

Very nice. I will be following as I haven't had luck finding the pigtails.

When I went to the dealership site to order the Connector E with the PN 90980-11408, it comes up as Connector F. Am I right in ordering that one?

Very nice. I will be following as I haven't had luck finding the pigtails.

When I went to the dealership site to order the Connector E with the PN 90980-11408, it comes up as Connector F. Am I right in ordering that one?
That should actually be connector C, not E. Looks like I mistyped in my original post. I'll verify the PN's when I get home.

Once my post count is high enough to allow editing I'll correct my original post.

Ok I was able to order connectors A B and D through the Mouser links you posted along with the terminals. I tried the link for Connector E shown above and it required a minimum 2400

Ok I was able to order connectors A B and D through the Mouser links you posted along with the terminals. I tried the link for Connector E shown above and it required a minimum 2400
I think all the electronics sites had either no inventory or a large minimum buy for that connector, so I ordered directly from dealer. The only reason for using mouser for the other connectors was price was cheaper than Toyota and I also wanted extra terminals.

As soon as I get home from work I'll verify everything for you before you place the order.

@silverg

I corrected my original post to show the connector as "C" instead of "E" but the Toyota part number is correct, here is a pic of what I ordered and it plugged into the connector C slot fine:

unnamed - Copy - Copy.jpg

Here is a screenshot of my Mouser order for reference also
Screenshot 2023-01-06 150802.png

@silverg

I corrected my original post to show the connector as "C" instead of "E" but the Toyota part number is correct, here is a pic of what I ordered and it plugged into the connector C slot fine:

So you used a terminal tool to "release" the wires/pins from the connectors and move them to the new connector positions?

So you used a terminal tool to "release" the wires/pins from the connectors and move them to the new connector positions?
Yes, I used a terminal extraction tool to release the pins from the old connectors. These connectors also have a lock mechanism which needs to be opened to allow the pins to be removed/inserted.

Here's a pic from from the original connectors G and F with the lock in the open position:
Screenshot 2023-01-06 155329 - Copy.png
Screenshot 2023-01-06 155225 - Copy.png

New connectors come with the lock in the open position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom