Ultimate 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my eyes, there's no real BEB issue. Just change them once when you buy a used vehicle. Same for dripping injectors.

In my eyes, there's no real BEB issue. Just change them once when you buy a used vehicle. Same for dripping injectors.
I’ve never heard of anyone replacing rod bearings as preventative maintenance, other than on the E60 M5 with the V10, which is widely derided for its poor engineering. Honestly I don’t understand why Toyota just gets a pass for stuff like this.

The 3FE/A440F combo in my 62 was a bit unsatisfactory, so I can understand why many switch out the auto for the H55 in these Cruisers. It seems appropriate and desirable to me for the 60 series to have a manual transmission.

The FZ/A343F is another story. I like it a lot and have no interest in a manual 80 series, but that's just me. Perhaps driving one could change my opinion.

Get some

I’ve never heard of anyone replacing rod bearings as preventative maintenance, other than on the E60 M5 with the V10, which is widely derided for its poor engineering. Honestly I don’t understand why Toyota just gets a pass for stuff like this.

Early engines had a problem with bad bearing material that made some of them fail after 200k-300k km. If you change them in time (about half a day of work and 200$ in parts) and get the injectors seviced from time to time, those engines will do half a million and more, with enjoyable power output and awesome reliability. One of mine ist now at 630k, a buddys at 900k towing trailers around Europe.

Early engines had a problem with bad bearing material that made some of them fail after 200k-300k km. If you change them in time (about half a day of work and 200$ in parts) and get the injectors seviced from time to time, those engines will do half a million and more, with enjoyable power output and awesome reliability. One of mine ist now at 630k, a buddys at 900k towing trailers around Europe.
Thats good to hear. I had read accounts of them going bad every 100k km or so, but I guess you always hear about the worst cases on the forums usually. Of course I’m not a mechanic and haven’t owned one of the diesels so I’m just going off what I’ve researched here and elsewhere.

I know of people changing them religiously every 100k after making bad experiences, but from what i know it's mainly the first, factory installed set of bearings that has a possibility of failing because the material delaminates. I saw some bearings myself on some 90-92 models that hat small pieces missing/ripped out, but we changed them before they could fail.

He might be referring to the BEB issues on the 1HDT. There seems to be debate in here on whether they fully fixed the issue on the 24 valve FT motor.
I just see that as a possible maintenance item. Not a difficult job at all.

My truck had the BEB replaced at purchase secondhand in NZ. At 120,000 km
I had them replaced again at 380,000 km and it was time to do it. No 5 bearing was looking a bit sad. No symptoms like loss of oil pressure or ticking. Replaced them because the mechanic was installing a WAT billet torque converter in preparation for a power upgrade that has yet to happen because i dropped the truck on its roof after the side of a track let go. All fixed now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom