Sunroof only tilts, won't slide open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, another question for all the experts out here. My sunroof/moon roof will only tilt open, not slide open. I was wondering if it works off of two different motors or if something is just messed up? I saw someone mention something can get out of sync that's why it has only one function. It seems like everything is connected. I would really like to get it open so I can clear up the drains, been having to cover it with a tarp so I don't get that tasty mildew smell.

You can remove the glass to get to the drains, if it's a pressing problem that has to be solved right now. The simplest reason for sunroof failure is stuck cables. In order to fix this, you have to remove the entire assembly, glass and tray. The complete instructions are in the FSM. It isn't hard, it just takes a little time to remove.

Once you have removed the assembly, the cables can be cleaned and lubricated and the assembly resinstalled. The motor logic controller design will prevent you from bench testing the sliding function, unless you're handy with the circuit logic. This is unfortunate because it would be nice to be able to do, so that you don't have to heave the thing in and out to ensure your repair is complete, but that's the way it is.

If you have a 1993-1994 model, this cannot be done without removing the headliner, which is glued in place on the underside of the body roof panel. The later models' headliner fabric is glued onto a panel which is removable. That panel only need to be dropped in front of the rear doors; it doesn't need to be completely removed.

FWIW, the motor was (ostensibly) designed to be turned manually, if it failed (electrically, that is), allowing you to manually slide the glass back and forth. I've tried this on more than a few sunroofs, and failed every time. I wouldn't advise trying it.

You can remove the glass to get to the drains, if it's a pressing problem that has to be solved right now. The simplest reason for sunroof failure is stuck cables. In order to fix this, you have to remove the entire assembly, glass and tray. The complete instructions are in the FSM. It isn't hard, it just takes a little time to remove.

Once you have removed the assembly, the cables can be cleaned and lubricated and the assembly resinstalled. The motor logic controller design will prevent you from bench testing the sliding function, unless you're handy with the circuit logic. This is unfortunate because it would be nice to be able to do, so that you don't have to heave the thing in and out to ensure your repair is complete, but that's the way it is.

If you have a 1993-1994 model, this cannot be done without removing the headliner, which is glued in place on the underside of the body roof panel. The later models' headliner fabric is glued onto a panel which is removable. That panel only need to be dropped in front of the rear doors; it doesn't need to be completely removed.

FWIW, the motor was (ostensibly) designed to be turned manually, if it failed (electrically, that is), allowing you to manually slide the glass back and forth. I've tried this on more than a few sunroofs, and failed every time. I wouldn't advise trying it.
I have a 95. Is there an online copy of the FSM? I understand paper copies are near impossible to find

I have a 95. Is there an online copy of the FSM? I understand paper copies are near impossible to find
Look above in the Resources section.

All versions available there. Make sure to get the EWD as well.

Just an FYI, the Tilt vs. slide feature of the sunroof is controlled by which direction the motor turns. When in the home position, and you push the Tilt switch, the motor turns one direction, tilting the rear of the glass (*and back, obviously). When in the home position, and you push the Slide switch, it rotates the other direction, simultaneously retracting the rear of the glass and aiming it toward the rack so it can slide. There are several microswitches on the motor gear drive module which enable or disable some functions for it all to work.

Before I dug the rack out, I would remove the switch panel -which is Step1, anyway - and take a good look at the manual switches used for Tilt and especially Slide. If it Tilts just fine today, it could be as simple as a bad Slide switch.

Search on my name and "Sunroof" for a full breakdown, including pics - because everybody wants pics,...

So I haven’t fixed it yet but there’s been an interesting development. It no longer titles open but now slides open!

Don't mean to hijack but I hate hearing rattles or squeaks. My 80 is rock solid but my sunroof sure makes a lot of rattle/noise. I haven't opened it in years and don't care to, any of you guys dealt with that issue?

Hey @blobmaster, I'm having a very similar occurrence with my sunroof. Only tilts and doesn't slide.

One interesting thing for mine is that when I press the slide switch to open I don't hear anything trying to work. Tilt works just fine. In trying to problem solve, did your slide switch basically do nothing before it magically switched it self from tilting to sliding?

Hey @blobmaster, I'm having a very similar occurrence with my sunroof. Only tilts and doesn't slide.

One interesting thing for mine is that when I press the slide switch to open I don't hear anything trying to work. Tilt works just fine. In trying to problem solve, did your slide switch basically do nothing before it magically switched it self from tilting to sliding?
Yup. Did absolutely nothing, maybe I went over a bump? It’s gotta be a loose wire or something. Hope you figure it out, I ended up selling it before fixing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom