Decision Time - New Engine or Sell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PappyVan20

1995 Series 80. Mods: 2" OME w 33" K02s. No rust
Threads
So, head gasket blew and Land Cruiser Solutions (NH) said damage to engine too significant to warrant saving current stock engine. Per my profile, no rust on frame or body, original paint, and well maintained. I recently had Cruiser Solutions rebuilt front axel and upgrade suspension with 2" Old Man Emu. 33" KO2s. Quote for Remanufactured 1FZ Long Block is $6,200, plus labor range of 40-60 hours (@$120/hr). They said I don't need to rebuild or replace transmission. or drive train. Will rebuilt engine put too much stress on older transmission? It's my baby, but should I just let the next person take it from here, and then find another when I'm ready to invest in rebuild with V8 swap.. And, if I want to sell, what is best process to get attractive offer?
6E197DFB-51DE-4CF4-A5D1-B297E4686F55.jpg
image0.jpeg

Last edited:
What is the reasoning for "damage to engine too significant"
Need more details and if they are a reputable shop they should have them.

With the head gasket going out it's usually no big deal on these. Bottom ends are pretty stou
I will be speaking with them further today. I am admittedly not an expert, so I am somewhat dependent on advice. Something also about sound indicated that damaged bearings. They did great work on suspension and axel rebuild. They didn't seem over eager to conclude this. They were hoping that they just needed to send out for metal to be re-planed and just repair head gasket.

Previous advice to members who experience this nightmare. Stop. Take a breath. Mechanics understand head gasket issues but most don’t understand the overbuilt engine. They see hundreds of thousands of miles and think the truck is dead. The disposable culture we resist is why I drive land Cruisers. Now if it hydro locked and bent everything, I may gave to eat my words

So, head gasket blew and Land Cruiser Solutions (NH) said damage to engine too significant to warrant saving current stock engine. Per my profile, no rust on frame or body, original paint, and well maintained. I recently had Cruiser Solutions rebuilt front axel and upgrade suspension with 2" Old Man Emu. 33" KO2s. Quote for Remanufactured 1FZ Long Block is $6,200, plus labor range of 40-60 hours (@$120/hr). They said I don't need to rebuild or replace transmission. or drive train. Will rebuilt engine put too much stress on older transmission? It's my baby, but should I just let the next person take it from here, and then find another when I'm ready to invest in rebuild with V8 swap.. And, if I want to sell, what is best process to get attractive offer?View attachment 3211021View attachment 3211034View attachment 3211039View attachment 3211039
I would have it sent to @cruisermatt and have a v8 installed. Give him a call and get a estimate.

Yup, without a failed compression test or more info, I wouldn't just yank it. Rebuild is fairly straightforward if needed. How many miles on it now? If I were around 300k and didn't need it for daily driving I would get a quote on a rebuild.

For a head gasket you're going to replace the water pump and timing set anyway since they're cheap and you're in there. You'll likely pull the oil pans to pull the timing cover , so beyond that is just pulling the crank and pistons to address compression, cylinder scoring, etc.

I've known Tedd at Cruiser Solutions for almost 30 years and he's a square shooter. You can trust what he says. He built my brother's 40 and has done work for me. If it were e I might get a used engine from Cruiser Parts (also in NH and I think are good guys too) and have Tedd change out your engine. Just a thought. You might not get much for an 80 with a blown engine.
Ned

I've known Tedd at Cruiser Solutions for almost 30 years and he's a square shooter. You can trust what he says. He built my brother's 40 and has done work for me. If it were e I might get a used engine from Cruiser Parts (also in NH and I think are good guys too) and have Tedd change out your engine. Just a thought. You might not get much for an 80 with a blown engine.
Ned

I really like Ted. He has clients that spend 100's of thousands on jobs, but isn't pushing that on me. He knows I'm on tight budget. We are leaning towards remanufactured 1FZ Long Block. He likes company who does work. Thanks for the reassurance about his shop. Really helps.

the other cheaper (much cheaper) option is to just find a used engine and stuff it in.

you can find a good condition engine for less than 2K shipped from someone on here. i know @musthave had a used one not long ago.

they arent that bad to install, the FSM has it all written out for you. any mechanic should be able to swap it right over in a few days or you and some friends can do it in the garage in a couple of weekends.

Search bad vendors on MUD. The listed company in NH might be one to avoid at all cost if memory serves me?

I know they did not provide me with the proper window regulator and then wanted me to pay additional shipping. Their “like new” part provided was rusted and bent.

I had to go through the process of refuting on my credit card before the NH company decided to play nice.

Buyer beware.

if its already a clean rig why sell just slap the v8 in it... these things aren't getting easier to find especially clean ones.
lol I'm literally waiting for this engine to go so I have a valid excuse to v8 swap it. I wish I was in your position OP! :p

V8 swap that sucker!!!!!..

Or sell it too me for $2,000.00

Echoing what everyone else said here - Keep the truck, what ever path you take to to fix it. I think you'd be kicking yourself a few years from now if you let it go.

It's pretty rare to hear about a 1fz bottom end "too far gone" to rebuild. Did it overheat when the hg blew? Did you run it without oil for a long time?

Either way don't get rid of it unless you just are ready to move on to something else. As mentioned already.l, cheapest solution is to drop a used 1fz into it and roll on. LS swap would be the ideal solution, but not cheap.

If you do sell it give it to someone here so she can be properly cared for.

Last edited:
One more for keep it. They are not getting cheaper or easier to find. Sounds like your mechanic is trustworthy and knows these rigs, but I agree with understanding what is wrong with the bottom end. I rebuilt mine at 277K, but only because there had been water in the cylinders while it sat at some point over the years. There were a few rust spots, but the bores still had crosshatching. Machine shop said it was a shame to have to bore it. I'm still relatively new at this 80 thing, but I am a few years and probably well over $25K in to mine, and it still doesn't look as good as your pictures. Hope it just needs a head gasket, if more, swap in a used engine or if you really want to treat it and drive it for the rest of your life, rebuild or new short block. I know you aren't a mechanic, but they are really 80's technology trucks / tractors. They are not hard to work on, and I have seen more than one mechanical neophyte do a head gasket on this forum.

*Edit - I decided to rebuild the 1FZ because I was new to 80's and wanted the full experience. I'm also an L6 kind of guy. Otherwise, I would have seriously considered an LS swap, it seems like a great combo. Just don't let anyone tell you it's the cheap route. To do it right will cost more than the rebuild, especially if you aren't doing the labor.

Good luck !

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom