1973 Red Ryder shenanigans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, here we go. Bought this 1973 to be a good little rig to take my daughter on some adventures in Colorado as she grows up. While I thought I did a decent job going through it beforehand I obviously missed quite a few things.
I was hoping to be able to drive it through the winter before tearing into it this spring with some updates, but last week while letting it warm up it started leaking coolant and upon further inspection I found oil in the coolant. So now its looking like an engine swap/rebuild and while I'm at it frame off and fix all the dumb s*** the PO did to it. At least he already put a 4sp tranny in for me, that's a plus. My daughter is only 3 so if I'm going to do a frame off now is the time to do it.
This is not and was never going to be a restoration. I want to be able to ding and scratch this truck up and not cry about it but just have fun getting to some fishing spots. So the questions for you guys are:
Should I buy a replacement F and rebuild the original as a spare? Reliability is the chief concern.
Buy a 2F and do the conversion?

20221102_170514.jpg

20221102_164504.jpg

My vote is for an LS V8 engine so that you will enjoy owning it and driving it.
Too many components to change for me to do that right now. Goal is have it back up and running in as little time as possible.

Oil in coolant doesn't necessarily mean an engine replacement. Could just be a head gasket.

Determine the cause and extent of damage before jumping off a cliff.

Oil in coolant doesn't necessarily mean an engine replacement. Could just be a head gasket.

Determine the cause and extent of damage before jumping off a cliff.
You're correct that it's probably a head gasket but if there's a local running F available why not swap it in and have a spare motor? I've never done an engine rebuild so I'd like to be able to take my time and do it right.
With that being said, looks like replacing a head gasket and seals is fairly simple and can be done in a day or so?

Last edited:
You're correct that it's probably a head gasket but if there's a local running F available why not swap it in and have a spare motor? I've never done an engine rebuild so I'd like to be able to take my time and do it right.
With that being said, looks like replacing a head gasket and seals is fairly simple and can be done in a day or so?

If I could find a decently priced and running F engine, I would do exactly that. Then take my time rebuilding my original(?) F engine.

I haven't done one yet, but these look like old Chevy stovebolts. I'd imagine it's a similar process. You could swap a head gasket before you finished your first beer on one of those.

Well the explanation for the 4 speed is it's not the original F. Looked at the serial number and its a 2F, so looks like I'll just order a gasket set and hope I don't make things worse.

'73 was the first year USA versions that the 4 SPD was an option so it could be original.

What month in 1973? Note that manufacturing months 10, 11 and 12 in 1973 would be considered the 1974 model year. That rig has some attributes of a later model year than 1973. Windshield, doors, the driver's side rear side panel and the ambulance doors and are from a later model.

What month in 1973? Note that manufacturing months 10, 11 and 12 in 1973 would be considered the 1974 model year. That rig has some attributes of a later model year than 1973. Windshield, doors, the driver's side rear side panel and the ambulance doors and are from a later model.
This is a pieced together rig. It has the 3 speed diagram on the glove box which I assumed meant the PO swapped the tranny's, but obviously it was easier to swap an entire drivetrain. The tub is a '73, but the top is a later year so there's some fitment issues, it was definitely frankensteined from a bunch of different years.

I see a four speed going back to 4/72 in the HJ45. FJ40 back to 9/72 in some markets but not the US. The H41 replaced the early four 9/73, same time the H42 started. In the US everything I see it was 1/74 when the H42 replace the J30 three speed. There have been plenty of early US 74 FJ40s that had a three speed.

It was the floor/hump change and torque tube behind the transfer case redesigned moved back a little that makes adding a four speed much easier than previous years.

Ordered a gasket set from JT. Got the case of beer ready, now just need to clean some space in the garage and get all the tools together.

Congrats on the purchase. Sorry about the bum new but good to seeing you take it in stride and continuing to enjoy the journey.

I’d be looking to swap in a know good 2f if you could source one or otherwise tackle the HG and associated bits as you look prepared to do.

Kudos on the LHD to RHD swap ;) lol

Looks like a good start even with the challenges. Looking forward to your progress:
favre.jpg

Are there 2 shocks on the front ds?

Bought the gasket kit so will do that sometime soon. However, I did find a cheap 2000 4Runner, manual transmission, with only 130K miles but with significant body damage and frame rust, so may be the perfect donor vehicle for a more reliable and fuel efficient rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom