FJ62 Power Window question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen some threads on here about relays for the driver's window, but I thought I'd describe my issue to see if anyone knows what I need to look at first. The driver's window would go down just fine, but it started to have problems going back up. For a little while I could hold the switch in the up position for several seconds and then it would finally start going up. Eventually, it got to the point where that no longer worked and the window is stuck in the down position. I initially thought the switch had gone bad since I was getting a voltage reading when the switch was held in the down position, but not the up position. I installed a new switch and it still will not go up. Does anyone know if the motor could be bad, or does it sound like a relay problem?

The
I've seen some threads on here about relays for the driver's window, but I thought I'd describe my issue to see if anyone knows what I need to look at first. The driver's window would go down just fine, but it started to have problems going back up. For a little while I could hold the switch in the up position for several seconds and then it would finally start going up. Eventually, it got to the point where that no longer worked and the window is stuck in the down position. I initially thought the switch had gone bad since I was getting a voltage reading when the switch was held in the down position, but not the up position. I installed a new switch and it still will not go up. Does anyone know if the motor could be bad, or does it sound like a relay problem?

The problem is more than likely in your Power Window Relay ( small green box in drivers door ). See red square in wiring diagram.
There are two small relays in there that need to be changed.

88fj62 wiring cabin.gif

It seems like you have done some of this testing so far, but test (b) seems straight forward. Apply battery voltage to terminal 1 & 4 and see if the window goes up...If the window doesn't go up, then it's probably something other than the relay.

1672869629769.png

I did have a similar issue. It would work intermittently and it (luckily) was the motor. I replaced it with a 80s 4runner motor and it works great! Plus it was cheap. I did it a long time ago but I think I just cut and switched the harnesses. Worth a shot if you find out that you relay is still good.
1672938124640.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom