Builds Where it all began... an FJ62 story (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very interested in seeing the results of the power window relays/fix.

My master switch does some things and not the others....similar to your situation.
Yeah agreed, I’m 🙏🏾 that this somehow solves some issues. Or else I may be looking for a new master switch… I don’t believe this one is original to the car, and I really don’t want to trace wires into the harness etc etc

While I’m waiting on stuff to get here, I went ahead and brought (one of) my other project home from my sister in laws land…

Once the 62 gives up the garage space, this cream puff is going in for some extra attention.

I feel like @wngrog with about 10% of the land cruisers he typically has on deck and even less of the skills 🤣

D4A31009-8438-485A-A22C-A3CEAB9C18F3.jpeg

E009FCE4-9ACF-4851-82F5-8346F4647387.jpeg

Forgot to mention, found a small radiator leak after changing the coolant and installing a new thermostat… we saw some new red markings on the housing and seem to have pinpointed a tiny leak in the radiator that only seems leak when it’s under pressure…

Not really interested in sourcing/paying for a brand new radiator at the moment and really don’t want to take it out either at the moment…

So a little JB Weld for now… don’t judge me.

View attachment 3191895

View attachment 3191896

View attachment 3191897

I've done something similar, using JB Weld to patch a broken petcock drain. Pulling a radiator from a 60 series is a pain.

I've done something similar, using JB Weld to patch a broken petcock drain. Pulling a radiator from a 60 series is a pain.
I haven't gotten a chance to see if it's holding really, since everything's torn apart on the inside while I get some things taken care of... but it was only a really small leak, so hopefully this does the trick, at least for a while...

Did the same thing recently. Got one of those nice all-metal petcocks with the drain tube for the engine block. I also bought another one thinking I could install it in the radiator. I pulled the plastic plug out and got a wrench on the fitting in the rad - Couldn’t see very well so I thought I was all good. It came right out …. And when I held it in my hand it was quickly apparent that it was a brazed-in fitting 🤦‍♂️

JB weld has been holding up for a couple thousand miles now thankfully.

Well what I hate doing is having 10 little projects going at once… I absolutely hate it, my brain needs the little wins, but all the current 10 projects are connected in some way so I’m dealing with it.

I bought Torfab brackets about 6 months ago, and figured if I found some nice manual e46 seats at a good price, I’d give em a go…

And then I got into the power windows/locks situation and procured a harness from @LA Z which got shipped today and part of that is me running 12awg power wire to each door, which meant the best way to accomplish that was to have a small fused distribution block inside the rig that I could power when I was running wire for my stereo…

Well, now I’m OK with powered seats because hell, I’m gonna have a couple of open spots in the distribution block and power readily available anddddd I found a sweet deal on some e46 seats. $100. So I bought em. Add it to the list.

They didn’t come with the pigtails and I’ll probably hold off on the heat part unless someone point me to a very simple solution… But I have pigtails on order from eBay and they’ll be here about when we have time to get everything else together…

BBCD5B94-B066-482C-A815-CA58EE648271.jpeg

0EC45864-1600-42C9-A7B6-BAD6C13E32A9.jpeg

ADE978DA-6D60-44A3-A328-F4796872545B.jpeg

ACEACBF2-69DD-4B3E-ABBE-7847936333C9.jpeg

83AB183E-51C2-4791-8C8B-BEC76F58501D.jpeg

We also got the Alpine harness spliced to the stock harness and added the little “Use all functions without the car being in park” module integrated…

Hopefully 7 days from now we’ll try and accomplish and accomplish:
  • Get @LA Z ’s harness for the power windows installed
  • Same goes for his power locks harness
  • When the windows are working, I’ll get the other 3 windows felt channel replaced (driver side went well and didn’t take 30 min)
  • Have power run for the amp and for the fused distribution block (for the windows and seat motors)
  • Get the @torfab brackets and the e46 seats installed
  • Have the radio and speakers installed
  • Reinstall the dash with the new LED lights…
  • Install LEDs in the blinkers and install the new modded flasher relay
See it’s a long list of a lot of things but they’re all intertwined… it’ll be nice to get em l done at almost the same time… fingers crossed 🤞🏾

20B881FA-9911-4337-9978-EE2F6A0BA3D1.jpeg

FAD38601-F8E4-46B0-B51B-A95BBE79D0CE.jpeg

So I got some items in…
  • A new flasher to MOD for LED blinkers
  • New Battery Terminals with more room for activities - These suck though… they’re smaller and not as versatile as they appeared and are being sent back… I’ll add a power bus in the future if the need arises
  • Pigtails for the E46 seats that I got locally for $100
  • The power window/door locks harness from @LA Z and it looks GREAT…
Still waiting on the BMW Heated Seats switch and I think that’s just about it…

6AFD3FA5-0DE8-4876-8052-580AF2CB2BE6.jpeg

41C8774E-EEE6-4044-ACBF-2276B24FE3ED.jpeg

033591E4-77CA-4704-A26F-804797D5AC96.jpeg

F234EE9F-6034-4181-BEFA-CC61D09B1134.jpeg

First things first… we put the BMW passenger seat on the Torfab brackets to see if the amplifier for the stereo was going to fit under there… and it WON’T… at least not as-is. I think we’re going to find some 3/4 to 1” aluminum spacers and fit some nice hardware to get em mounted up…

Second we removed the female end of the seat belt along with the Pre-tensioner from the E46 seats and de-pinned the harness at the bottom of the seats that was attached to that…

And then we set off to run a fused 4awg power wire to the inside of the 62 and clear up the Positive terminal, both of which were accomplished.

Next is mounting the fused distribution panel under the dash (we found a great spot) and running 12awg power wire to each door while also possibly moving a few steps closer to getting the stereo installed…

Not looking good to accomplish everything I wanted to before Xmas break takes us out of town, but looks like we’ll get the s***ty/not fun part done… so that’s good.

PS Radiator seems to NOT be leaking anymore… so that’s good.

BB4DD235-F349-4EBC-B794-0E9B391CB50D.jpeg

A1BD673D-546E-4C69-8C8B-D70D8028E64F.jpeg

E4F28950-166F-429E-AEC1-91BEEF1EBAB5.jpeg

05474F07-C217-446D-8F6A-4FD2837444CF.jpeg

Back on it today…
  • Ran power wire through the door grommets from the 3 x doors (not the driver front) almost to the fused distribution block under the dash… will attach the connectors/heat shrink later. My hands are bleeding from running the wires
  • Replaced RCAs for the stereo to the amp since the others were too short, also got basically everything for the stereo back to the amp so that can be hooked up
  • Added some sound deadener in the rear doors since I had em open…
Still to do before putting interior back tofether
  • Run short power wires for seat motors (BMW seats) and wire in seat heater switches
  • Wire up @LA Z ’s power windows harness and power lock harness
  • Replace the driver door lock relay in the green box
  • Cut up and attach shower curtain for vapor barrier for all 4 x doors
  • Install speakers
I have a bunch of work to finish this week so hoping some of these items get checked off the list…

1F1F247F-0CB9-4D0D-9FE3-1F7BB2701253.jpeg

00C0F5B8-D02E-4093-A88D-0B0D51455BD6.jpeg

8DC26053-1FEF-445A-B5D9-C12F607A207F.jpeg

EDB1E552-9E3F-4ABE-848A-770476AE2426.jpeg

682EC884-DEAA-4FEB-B920-DD36B5A98CC8.jpeg

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. I hate electrical and I hate having everything apart so it’s not really an elephant I’m sure to most, but it is to me 🤣

The BEST part is putting some stuff BACK together (again)…
  • Since I ran power wires yesterday, we just hooked up the power windows harness from @LA Z (once again, such a clean harness) after cleaning all connectors in the door and dabbing some dielectric grease… unfortunately can’t test em yet because I haven’t connected all the termination points of the power wire to the fused distribution setup under the dash.
  • Probably not the brightest idea before testing but frankly if the windows and door locks don’t work after all this, we’re just busting the windows and putting up racing nets. That being said, I cut some shower curtain and replaced the torn plastic vapor barriers
  • Added just a touch of close cell foam to the back of the door panels and got everything buttoned up with the back doors… one day, I’ll save ip enough money to replace all the door cards and cargo panels with @orikawa stuff, but not yet…

0B187216-54B6-4E74-AB91-32F467161AAA.jpeg

2FA5D02B-701E-4ED9-9431-E36429685F06.jpeg

AD0ACF10-C4C0-409E-84C6-E15332C4890F.jpeg

A72EB9F9-A161-400F-B996-E7F4F209BA04.jpeg

A few questions for you
1. How I’m the world do you find this much time to work on your truck? Jealous!
2. What is this
1672927417237.jpeg

3. It’s hard to tell from the photos but are you mounting the amp underneath the back seat? Are you finding that there’s enough space?

A few questions for you
2. What is this
View attachment 3210978

3. It’s hard to tell from the photos but are you mounting the amp underneath the back seat? Are you finding that there’s enough space?
All great questions...
  • I'm a CPA in Atlanta, so "all of the time to work on this" is about to become "a lot less time to work this"... usually from Jan 1 - April 15th, I get about 30 min/day to tackle something, my schedule's pretty flexible during the rest of the year, really... but I probably work on it too much!!
  • The pictured item is a harness built by @LA Z to basically accomplish updating/fixing a lot of issues related to the FJ62 power windows. Details of the fix are here
  • The amp is actually going under the passenger seat... the picture looks confusing because the front passenger seat is currently not in the rig... I have have to add some 3/4" metal spacers on top of the Torfab BMW seat brackets to accomplish this because the BMW seats don't leave much room. With the stock seats, there would be plenty of room... and there's definitely no room under the rear seat, as far as I can tell!

A few questions for you
2. What is this
View attachment 3210978

@dogcruiser ... he mostly stands around, trash talks and watches me teach him how things are done the right way! ;)

@dogcruiser ... he mostly stands around, trash talks and watches me teach him how things are done the right way! ;)
@SkeeLo22 What on earth else are friends for?? Go chop some wood or something. We're on break until Monday!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom