1999 LC, 1500 mile holiday trip to Mexico (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
5+ years with my 1999 LC, many trips like this down to Mexico (jnorth of Monterrey) for New Years and summer vacations...been good to me and the family. As always, back seats out and loaded up to the gills. DFW-Harlingen/South Padre Island-Laredo-Monterrey-DFW, 1482.0 miles, averaged about 14.5 MPG for the trip with wife, 3 girls and I and LOTS of luggage.

I have spent a pretty penny on PM, new Brake Booster a few years ago, steering rack about 4 years ago, etc. It's a mall cruiser when its not in the garage. Purchased by original PO in late 1998, 24 years old 2-owner (PO and me) Texas truck...next up is to redo leather seats, put some sliders (expensive replacements for for the OEM side steps, but its a big step for my vertically challenged wife lol), maybe a roof rack....I don't plan on messing with suspension since I don't do that much overlanding and such.

It's called a Cruiser for a reason!

LC 1222 LoadedBefore.jpg

LC 1222 Plaza2.jpg

LC 1222 Plaza1.jpg

LC 1222 TotMiles.jpg

LC 1222 FinalGarage.jpg

Bought mine in McAllen Tx. Drove it to Austin then shipped to Long Island. Still working to get it up to par for those long family trips. Thanks for sharing

Good to hear! How long is the wait at Laredo on the way back to US? I too used the cruiser for road trips: recently drove to AL and back. Now planning a trip to North, West and South (which is Mexico): How safe is the way back and forth to Monterrey? Did you stay at a hotel? I never been to Mexico...

Oh.. did you replace the heater T's?

Good to hear! How long is the wait at Laredo on the way back to US? I too used the cruiser for road trips: recently drove to AL and back. Now planning a trip to North, West and South (which is Mexico): How safe is the way back and forth to Monterrey? Did you stay at a hotel? I never been to Mexico...

Oh.. did you replace the heater T's?
Great question! It can be especially bad around the holidays....4-8 hours is not that uncommon. We crossed 1/1 at 10:30am...about 10 minutes from when I got in line till I was at the booth with CBP. We stayed at my wife's family house.

I would NOT recommend crossing or driving into Mexico at night. I recommend between 9am and 3pm. I've been crossing consistently for 17 years, more often when I lived in Laredo. I've taken the LC down since I got it in 2017.

The PO did that when they replaced the radiator at 160K...so that was already taken care of. Receipts from Toyota dealer for Radiator and other PM. All parts were, and I continue with OEM. I replaced my high power steering hose back in 2017 with an Autozone one...learned my lesson, or maybe just bad luck. I had to replace it again back in 2021...OEM from here on out. More expensive, but worth it.

Any other questions, let me know!

Great question! It can be especially bad around the holidays....4-8 hours is not that uncommon. We crossed 1/1 at 10:30am...about 10 minutes from when I got in line till I was at the booth with CBP. We stayed at my wife's family house.

I would NOT recommend crossing or driving into Mexico at night. I recommend between 9am and 3pm. I've been crossing consistently for 17 years, more often when I lived in Laredo. I've taken the LC down since I got it in 2017.

The PO did that when they replaced the radiator at 160K...so that was already taken care of. Receipts from Toyota dealer for Radiator and other PM. All parts were, and I continue with OEM. I replaced my high power steering hose back in 2017 with an Autozone one...learned my lesson, or maybe just bad luck. I had to replace it again back in 2021...OEM from here on out. More expensive, but worth it.

Any other questions, let me know!
Thanks for the update. I'll keep those in mind.

Yes, I go with OEM at every time. Aftermarket is junk.. and will replace it again costing more money and time!

Nice looking '99

Get sliders.

They seem like pricey steps - think of them instead as really cheap side impact and door-ding protection.

Nice looking '99

Get sliders.

They seem like pricey steps - think of them instead as really cheap side impact and door-ding protection.
I am SO going to remember that...on top of that happy wife, happy life. Nevermind that they should look cool too lol

Great looking Cruiser being used as is without the need for any mods. I've got the White Knuckle sliders which are popular and make for great steps, especially if you add the diamond plate top.

Great looking Cruiser being used as is without the need for any mods. I've got the White Knuckle sliders which are popular and make for great steps, especially if you add the diamond plate top.
I was leaning towards White Knuckle a while back, but then it seems MetalTech's are great and also cover the cat. Thoughts?

Very happy with my MetalTech OPOR sliders - wouldn't mind if they had three rather than two attachment legs but they certainly seem to be tough enough.

Then take another look at ASFIR skid plates for more high value protection...
(and then, and then...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom