Is it safe to drive with locker actuators removed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, just a quick & maybe stupid question; I've seen this forum member created a simple cover for the hole where the actuator should be, that's all cool so the oil won't get out and road crap in, yeah. But. Would it be safe to drive like this? I mean, if the wheels are in the correct position for the diff to lock, the fork moves very easily, so I wonder if it might actually lock by itself due to vibrations or something? Of course in the worst case scenario (high speed or hard turning etc..).

I plan to take my lockers off for a bit of a rehabilitation which I presume won't be a quick one, so am wondering if I could drive in the meantime without any worries..

I wouldnt. The link you posted, the OP took the fork and other half of the side gear out that locks it. The fork and collar move/float around quite a bit without that pin from the actuator in. I just replaced my rear actuator about a month ago. I have my old actuator in a box if you want it, just cover the shipping. Not sure where youre located, but I also have a non locker center you could borrow.

Thanks a lot sir but I'm overseas:) just figured though; a strong rare earth magnet stuck in the cover at the correct distance so the fork couldn't move. otherwise I guess I'll just plan ahead and leave the truck stationary..

If you need to drive just pay attention. Dirt roads really no issue, on pavement you will feel and hear chirping during tight turns. If the front locks steering will stiffen.
If you are going to make plates you might entertain cable activation or pneumatic's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom