What's the deal with JDM 80s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20+ MPG for the diesels, a manual transmission factory option, there was a time where they were relatively cheap in comparison to US market 80s (13k US for mine +1600ish for duties, tax and title)
I would consider the import process a joke, I took a ferry to Canada, bought it and drove it back over, paid duties at the border, got my piece of paper and took it to the title office and that was that.
the steering wheel happens to be about 3 feet to the right of where most would expect it, doesn't bother me, but some people pay good money to have it on the left. to each their own. you've got to be a bit more savvy on the google for some parts, and planning Maintenace ahead of time.

full discloser tho, I have never even been in a US market LHD 80, I went from a 2f 60, knew I wanted a diesel, didn't care where the steering wheel was and found an RHD 80.
I paid about 20 + updating some maintenance on my gas RHD and looking around I think I would have paid 1.5-2x as much for a LHD in similar condition which for me puts it out of the toy category.

Again, RHD in a LHD world exacerbates the problem.

Cool anecdote.
RHD can create conditions where there is less visibility than LHD. It doesn’t make pulling out into traffic you can’t see any more or less likely, that is fully within the control of the driver,

I sure hope your vehicle is completely stock and in perfect condition with this attitude. Bumpers, lifts, large tires, etc all make it more dangerous to others on the road. Really, none of us should be driving vehicles this old for the sake of other road users.

Depends where you live. We're a RHD country here in Oz. I can't say I've ever seen any JDM landcruisers on the roads here, but there are plenty of Lexus landcruisers (LX450's, 470's and even some 570's).

Even here, importing an existing RHD vehicle is difficult because of the laws and rules for personal importations. One being the requirement to comply with ADR's, etc. that are applicable. Plus the quarantine requirements, taxes/charges, then also the freight cost (basically the cost of a shipping container to freight it).

RHD can create conditions where there is less visibility than LHD. It doesn’t make pulling out into traffic you can’t see any more or less likely, that is fully within the control of the driver,
Come on, man, use your brain. Consider the view you have of oncoming traffic, when you're sitting in the left turn lane, with traffic facing you in the oncoming left turn lane.

This isn't up for debate. I don't care about your anecdotes. RHD in a LHD world *impairs your view of oncoming traffic when turning left*.

Let me guess, you never stopped to think about oncoming traffic also trying to turn, did you? Even though you use your brain...

I sure hope your vehicle is completely stock and in perfect condition with this attitude. Bumpers, lifts, large tires, etc all make it more dangerous to others on the road.
A lift and bumpers don't impair one's ability to see oncoming traffic when turning left or passing. This catty, rambling nonsense is pure idiocy. The statistic are clear and your anecdotes are worthless.

Why? I can see oncoming traffic very well in my LHD vehicle on LHD roads.

If your level of caution, observation, and adaptation skills are so low that sitting 3' to the right means dead motorcyclists from you making a left turn, I'd question your ability to drive LHD or RHD safely.

Kind of half joking.

But only halfway. :lol:

Seriously though, it's a matter of adapting to the vehicle you're driving.

I find many modern vehicles have massive blind spots on the A pillar for me.
I'm very tall, so my head is right up against the head liner.
The combination of long flat raked back windscreens, windscreens that curve down to the A pillar, and thick A pillars with crumple zones etc means I have to drive a modern vehicle differently.

You don't want to adapt, stick to what you know. Doesn't make others incapable or incompetent.

It's also be curious to know how many vehicles from RHD accident stats are delivery vehicles that are often driven erratically, stop/start, sudden turns into side streets etc
The incidence of accidents among uber-eats and other food delivery drivers is astronomical in Australia for exactly these reasons, and that's without the driver being on the wrong side.

Lifted-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-80-4.jpg

823ba074d5d570973ef1b5e5384ad2a3.jpg

RHD just means you have to sit in that left turn lane waiting until oncoming traffic is completely clear before turning, whereas in a LHD car, you could lean over and see around the car in the opposing turn lane that you have enough space to safely "shoot the gap." If you're a cautious and patient driver, it shouldn't make a difference safety-wise, but it sure as hell would be inconvenient and you'd probably have people behind you honking the horn for driving like a pussy. :hillbilly:

I'm stationed in Okinawa and bought a HDJ81 about a year ago. It's coming back to the States with me this summer.

As stated previously, low mileage (kilometerage here) LC80s are not hard to find and generally not suspect. As mentioned previosuly, in the Tokyo area they don't get driven as much because everyone uses the metro. If you get one from Hokkaido or some of the moutainous areas in Honshu (Nagano, e.g.), watch out for rust issues due to salted roads in the winter.

I went through a company called Goonet Exchange and, with the help of a local shop called Outcast Garage, ended up getting a very clean example with only 118k kms on it. The body was in perfect shape, no rust, the engine bay looked new, and it only had a few mods that I had to take out. One was a cheesy aftermarket lift that was inadequate for a 5000 lb vehicle and made it ride like butter. I also had to take off the 37" tires that made it perform like dog****.

Since then I've installed an OME 2.5" lift, Delta VS panhard and swaybar drop bracket and radius arms, and I'm running 33s - it now handles great. One thing I've noticed in Japan is they don't really offroad their vehicles like Americans, Aussies, or other countries do. Expect some cheesy mods that look cool but compromise performance, and might need to come off once you get the truck.

Due to the current Yen to USD echange rate, you can get some great deals on low mileage LC80s right now. That said, I wouldn't necessarily use Goonet Exchange right now - that website caters mostly to Americans and they know the exchange rate is whacky currently (weakest Yen since the early 90s), so their listed prices have been raised accordingly. There's still some deals on there, but you can find them cheaper.

Finally, I've found RHD is not a big deal. Certainly wasn't enough of a deal to pass on a low mileage 1HD engine that will last 500k+ miles. Just my humble opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom