Leveling an already lifted LC200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 2008 LC200 which to my luck came with an OME 2” suspension and upper control arms. (Unsure the exact stiffness the suspension is)

I ended up doing a number of modifications to the car including a winch and full front steel bumper and am now looking for the best way to level out the front car. I’m thinking I don’t need much probably a .75” or 1” raise in the front.

Any recommendations for the best, affordable way to do this that is not going to take a shop 4 hours or something in labor to do?

Thanks!

2307DE9A-ACF7-4961-98D3-A74CCB9CE114.jpeg

You likely need stiffer springs and/or more pre load if you have BP-51s
Yeah… kinda the answer I was expecting. Part B to this question would you go OME 2” heavy springs or should I go 2.5” heavy if I want this to be level? (Aka will there be a sag in the heavy spring or will it stay close to true 2” height)?

Yeah… kinda the answer I was expecting. Part B to this question would you go OME 2” heavy springs or should I go 2.5” heavy if I want this to be level? (Aka will there be a sag in the heavy spring or will it stay close to true 2” height)?

Totally depends on spring rate to be honest. I’m sure others here have your exact setup

First check if the preload is already 20 mm, then go look at different springs and spacers. There are also “spring rubbers” that can be easily be used to adjust spring rate but probably wouldn’t give up a lot of actual lift.

FWIW, when I had my BP-51 put on, the installer left the preload at 20mm. At the time, I didn’t have a winch. My truck ended up dead level but only when unloaded.

I initially liked the look but anytime I actually used the truck for other than driving to work, the back would squat down. I could have dialed the preload down to address that but instead I added 3mm spacers to the rear. That put the unloaded rake back but closer to level loaded. Also, by loaded, I carry a lot of stuff. I have also over time added the winch, all armor, rear bumper and swingouts. The set up has been great. I will likely have to change the rear sorings after my aux tank goes in.

My point here is consider you packed out loaded state when you adjust the rake. The rake is there for a reason.

Last edited:
I recently bought a 2008 LC200 which to my luck came with an OME 2” suspension and upper control arms. (Unsure the exact stiffness the suspension is)

I ended up doing a number of modifications to the car including a winch and full front steel bumper and am now looking for the best way to level out the front car. I’m thinking I don’t need much probably a .75” or 1” raise in the front.

Any recommendations for the best, affordable way to do this that is not going to take a shop 4 hours or something in labor to do?

Thanks!

View attachment 3200653

Which coilover setup specifically do you have? Maybe a picture if that helps identifying it?

There's two way to adjust for this depending on what your needs are.

Spring rate may be appropriate as you added more weight. Do you find that the front end feels soft, or has challenges controlling body motion? Turning has too delayed a response? If so, adding more spring rate might be the way to go, while also adjusting free length for ride height. Others with this setup might be able to help you know what springs may work better but it's also subjective to some degree.

If you feel like the spring rate in front is in a good place with good comfort and control, then you'll want to tackle it more from a pre-load or spring collar adjustment approach. That's where the specifics of the coilover setup would help to identify what adjustments there might be.

Which coilover setup specifically do you have? Maybe a picture if that helps identifying it?

Spring rate may be appropriate as you added more weight. Do you find that the front end feels soft, or has challenges controlling body motion? Turning has too delayed a response? If so, adding more spring rate might be the way to go, while also adjusting free length for ride height. Others with this setup might be able to help you know what springs may work better but it's also subjective to some degree.

If you feel like the spring rate in front is in a good place with good comfort and control, then you'll want to tackle it more from a pre-load or spring collar adjustment approach. That's where the specifics of the coilover setup would help to identify what adjustments there might be.
Thanks TeCKis300 I’ll need to look at the coilover setup. Ride wise it feels great and very smooth even post modifications. Drives just how I want it just want the front to be level. More to come on the pictures when it’s not negative -5 out here and I can get in the wells to look.

20559A62-EE07-4517-939C-E1EF839BCDAE.jpeg

E0AB0AC5-96C3-4A99-892E-914EB73B81FF.jpeg

54089B43-1E16-46AB-840A-540960FC4E93.jpeg

Those are OME's standard shocks, so they do not have adjustable preload.

There are no good quick cheap fixes. No matter what you do, you'll need a new alignment (even if you could adjust the preload), and all of the good solutions require the coil overs to be removed, so you're looking at a few hours of shop time plus an alignment minimum.

If you're dead set on raising the front, you can either replace the coils with taller or stiffer coils, or add some of the OME trim packers to get it to sit "level". Then get an alignment. This will likely set you back $500-750 all in if you pay to have the work done.

If it rides and drives well, I'd personally leave it alone. The vehicle has some rake designed into it for load carrying ability, and there is really no measurable benefit to being level, and it's probably detrimental as you'll sit nose high if you load the truck up with stuff.

Your top hat studs say you don't have the OEM front spacer which nets about .5"

Your top hat studs say you don't have the OEM front spacer which nets about .5"
OP would need to verify the shocks aren't already longer than stock extended length before lowering top hat which will further increase down travel.

Last edited:
To @bloc s point, I would caution a top spacer approach as that could potentially run into the limits of the CV in droop.

I don't think the standard OME shocks have adjustable perches. Height adjustment would come down to changing springs or adding an in coilover spacer.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like best bet is wait and see with the additional weight in front makes it drop any more. If it does best way to handle this would be to order stiffer front coils.

Still new to OME game so is there a SKU number on the coil itself or a any way to tell exactly stiffness they are? Again car came with this suspension so I don’t know if it’s medium, heavy, etc.) and would ideally like to know before having the shop pull it apart so we know what is needed and not trial and error or order the wrong new coils.

All the rear coils I’ve had have come with a little sticker wrapped on the coil. And my OCD makes me promptly remove it 😂.

Alternatively, you may be able to measure the diameter of the coil material with a set of calipers and count the number of times the coil wraps around the shock. OME has pretty good documentation and you might be able to figure out which spring you have by cross referencing. If you have a limited number of springs narrowed down, you can put out a call to the good folks on mud to measure/count their springs for you too.

Good luck!

Just spoke with Mudify.com and they're planning on releasing a leveling kit for LC 200's that have OME suspensions in about a month. I'll be curious to see what this consists of/their approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom