What's the deal with JDM 80s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For one, I just dont want a RHD vehicle. Also I dont want an engine that wasnt sold here due to parts availability, etc... But even a LHD 80 with a 1FZ, from South America or the Middle East or wherever, Im just not interested in them. I only want US market vehicles and Im not even 100% sure why. But maybe because a lot of the reason I like older vehicles is the nostalgia of them. Being reminded of a time and place. And if the vehicle came from Japan or somewhere other than USA, it just wont give me the same warm and fuzzy feeling :meh:
I don't get it. The 1FZ-FE engine was sold everywhere and parts are not a problem. Other than the dash they are mostly the same. I bought a 1994 JDM 80 VX Limited a while back and the RHD took all of 20 minutes to get used to. Granted I don't go through many drive thrues. The gas/brake are where expected which helps. The blinker and wiper are reversed which took a bit of getting used to but now I switch between LHD and RHD all the time without any issues. The biggest thing about the JDM model is that looking underneath I would guess that it had never been off road or seen salt. ever. Mine has a little over 140K miles. Based on tire code/wear I think it probably spent about 10 years in storage before coming to US so it did require some baseline maintenance. When I (rarely) see US 80s from the same era that are as rust free as mine people are asking 2-3x what I paid for mine. I know there is stigma against RHD here but I see it as being able to enjoy a vehicle that would cost 2x as much otherwise. Plus you get some cool things like the center console fridge/freezer that wasn't ever offered in US and the variable assist power steering that no one has ever seen in the US.

I don’t want RHD in the USA.

I don’t like the extra flair of the JDM models in and out.

If both gas and diesel variants were plug and play in CA, I’d pick diesel.

I find my 13K mile young, 100% OEM 1FZ-FE long block to be totally SoCal traffic situation adequate pushing 37s. It’s demonstrably more powerful than the og engine it replaced at 278K miles.

While I delight in upkeep, the thing I enjoy most is that I use my 80 regularly like I would a Prius to the tune of 10-13K miles a year (it’s not my only fun car either).

I have zero interest in importing an 80. Now a LHD 76… (chin scratch)

Last edited:
I know there is stigma against RHD here
To my knowledge, I'm the only one who likes to point out the Canadian study on increased accident rate among RHD vehicles. Everyone else seems cool with them, aside from drive-throughs.

The 80 is meant to be a RHD vehicle. The engine compartment is better with RHD (e.g. Pesky Heater Hose access) and the axles swing in tandem instead of in opposition like with LHD (Panhard/Track-bar orientation). That said, I wouldn't choose to drive RHD in the US. I couldn't deal with the reality that I might kill a fellow motorcyclist because I didn't see him when attempting a left turn.

Center console refrigerators are neat but, meh, you can just throw a full-fledged 12V fridge in the back for a tenth of the additional cost of importation. Parts availability is kind of a wash because of Toyota's fantastic worldwide parts-distribution network, but I can't deny that RockAuto can get me an awful lot of aftermarket stuff in a couple of days for my 1FZ-FE.

That said, I wouldn't choose to drive RHD in the US. I couldn't deal with the reality that I might kill a fellow motorcyclist because I didn't see him when attempting a left turn.
Why would you turn into oncoming traffic if you couldn't see oncoming traffic? This is not a difficult thing to avoid. Like many things in life, you just have to use your brain.

I don't get it.

Yeah, like I said, Im not even 100% sure myself why I only like US market vehicles. I guess Im "xenophobic" when it comes to cars :D:D

Why would you turn into oncoming traffic if you couldn't see oncoming traffic? This is not a difficult thing to avoid. Like many things in life, you just have to use your brain.
Right. The 80 has such good visibility that I've never felt like there wasn't anything I couldn't see. Great visibility of bike lanes when turning right as well. As for accident rates, those trucks don't have ABS or airbags either and can roll over, so if that is the big issue then just buy a new camry.

Re: What’s the deal with JDM 80s?

I figured you were going to ask why they all have wood wheels.

There over priced 🤷‍♂️ that's the deal !:cool:

Why would you turn into oncoming traffic if you couldn't see oncoming traffic?

Ask all the people who do it on a daily basis, causing collisions. It's caused by not seeing oncoming traffic, and it's exacerbated by sitting in the right-hand seat while trying to make a left hand turn on North American roads.

Ask all the people who do it on a daily basis, causing collisions. It's caused by not seeing oncoming traffic, and it's exacerbated by sitting in the right-hand seat while trying to make a left hand turn on North American roads.
Those people causing collisions are driving LHD vehicles…if you are the type of person to pull into oncoming traffic you can’t see then RHD vs LHD is not going to make a difference. Like the part of my post you didn’t quote, you have to use your brain. Up until this year my HDJ81 was my daily since 2011 without even a close call.

I couldn't deal with the reality that I might kill a fellow motorcyclist because I didn't see him when attempting a left turn.

Exactly this. The roads in north America are designed for LHD vehicles. Driving a RHD vehicle is inherently more dangerous.

@gravitar If you can't understand this than you need to use your brain more.

Studies have proven that rhd vehicles in North America do have higher rates of collisions.

Just compare insurance between the two 80 series. There is a reason insurance will usually be more for a rhd rig all other things being equal.

That being said, I would consider driving a rhd 80 if I didn't use it for daily driving and city driving.

I think it would be fine for a leisure vehicle, especially one that primarily see's highway, interstate, back roads, and dirt roads. But not okay for daily driving and commuting.

Exactly this. The roads in north America are designed for LHD vehicles. Driving a RHD vehicle is inherently more dangerous.

@gravitar If you can't understand this than you need to use your brain more.

Studies have proven that rhd vehicles in North America do have higher rates of collisions.

Just compare insurance between the two 80 series. There is a reason insurance will usually be more for a rhd rig all other things being equal.

That being said, I would consider driving a rhd 80 if I didn't use it for daily driving and city driving.

I think it would be fine for a leisure vehicle, especially one that primarily see's highway, interstate, back roads, and dirt roads. But not okay for daily driving and commuting.
I certainly wouldn't be using mine as a daily or commuter. 12mpg. I've worked from home for the past 20 years so that isn't a factor. I almost never take it out at night or on the Interstate either. I've never had anything more than a fender bender so I must be using my brain

I drive a BJ74 (RHD) daily and have for the past 4 years. Full disclosure I have a few other “normal” LHD vehicles.
For those past years I overwhelmingly driven it, from living in the country to a super small town, back roads to the front range in Colorado where I live and drive country roads to the city Ft Collins etc….
20mpg average, tracked every tank…damn diesel prices.

That said the “most dangerous “ part of driving the past 33,000 miles has been the 2 lane country roads. Having to pass tractors or slow cars sucks. Thankfully I don’t do much passing on 2 lanes, I’m really never in that much of a hurry.
Turning left at a busy intersection can be an experience as well if the opposing turn lane is filled with cars. Same can be said with a smaller car as well. The good thing is my BJ74 is a fishbowl…extreme vision. Some of the newer cars suck at seeing out.

The biggest thing, drive smart and Defensively. It doesn’t feel any different overall to me. Would I prefer a LHD 70 series, yes, but there are only so many available, the $$$ and the shape. You can always import a cheaper JDM and then find a 91/92 or cheaper US model and swap engine if you are up for it.

The fun part of RHD, hitting drive thrus, explaining my rig is from Australia, talking in a terrible Aussie accent saying “mate” “fair dinkum “ and “crikey” while cranking AC/DC and yelling OY OY Oy as I leave. Makes the drive thru people get excited and I usually get an extra Chick-fil-A sauce for my trouble. I have no shame.

The worst part of RHD…everyone asking if you deliver mail.

I drive a BJ74 (RHD) daily and have for the past 4 years. Full disclosure I have a few other “normal” LHD vehicles.
For those past years I overwhelmingly driven it, from living in the country to a super small town, back roads to the front range in Colorado where I live and drive country roads to the city Ft Collins etc….
20mpg average, tracked every tank…damn diesel prices.

That said the “most dangerous “ part of driving the past 33,000 miles has been the 2 lane country roads. Having to pass tractors or slow cars sucks. Thankfully I don’t do much passing on 2 lanes, I’m really never in that much of a hurry.
Turning left at a busy intersection can be an experience as well if the opposing turn lane is filled with cars. Same can be said with a smaller car as well. The good thing is my BJ74 is a fishbowl…extreme vision. Some of the newer cars suck at seeing out.

The biggest thing, drive smart and Defensively. It doesn’t feel any different overall to me. Would I prefer a LHD 70 series, yes, but there are only so many available, the $$$ and the shape. You can always import a cheaper JDM and then find a 91/92 or cheaper US model and swap engine if you are up for it.

The fun part of RHD, hitting drive thrus, explaining my rig is from Australia, talking in a terrible Aussie accent saying “mate” “fair dinkum “ and “crikey” while cranking AC/DC and yelling OY OY Oy as I leave. Makes the drive thru people get excited and I usually get an extra Chick-fil-A sauce for my trouble. I have no shame.

The worst part of RHD…everyone asking if you deliver mail.
I have a friend who lives in Hong Kong and he says when people cross the border there they go through drive-thrus in reverse. Haven't tried that yet here.

what about all the mail vehicles here in the usa? i wonder what the accident rate on them are? garbage trucks? street sweepers? the garbage and street sweepers typically have either swappable driving positions but typically i find them driving on the right side.. just some food for thought.. not to mention those large ass vehicles have extremely worse field of view compared to regular cars and trucks, i've driven plenty of rhd vehicles and i think one just needs to get use to driving them as well as just having a high sense of awareness in general when driving... i like both lhd and rhd.

I have a friend who lives in Hong Kong and he says when people cross the border there they go through drive-thrus in reverse. Haven't tried that yet here.
I haven’t either, seems to draw too much attention and I wonder if some law enforcement would not approve 😂

Thankfully my 70 series is narrower and I’m 6’5” so my big ol arms can reach fairly easily.

Boils down to intended use, in my opinion.

I've had my 1995 HDJ81 with a 1HD-FT for coming up on two years. The diesel engine has many superior qualities to gas/petrol, though being patient for parts is important. Experiencing a factory Toyota turbodiesel has been fantastic overall.

It works for me because it isn't a daily. Instead, it's a dedicated platform for camping and off roading. Also, it's serving as a way for me to increase my mechanical knowledge.

RHD is a blast. It has benefits here in the states, like parallel parking, and downsides, like a drive thru or passing on rural two lanes. It's made to be a bigger deal than it actually is, I think.

20+ MPG for the diesels, a manual transmission factory option, there was a time where they were relatively cheap in comparison to US market 80s (13k US for mine +1600ish for duties, tax and title)
I would consider the import process a joke, I took a ferry to Canada, bought it and drove it back over, paid duties at the border, got my piece of paper and took it to the title office and that was that.
the steering wheel happens to be about 3 feet to the right of where most would expect it, doesn't bother me, but some people pay good money to have it on the left. to each their own. you've got to be a bit more savvy on the google for some parts, and planning Maintenace ahead of time.

full discloser tho, I have never even been in a US market LHD 80, I went from a 2f 60, knew I wanted a diesel, didn't care where the steering wheel was and found an RHD 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom