A few Rock Warrior questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anybody know if the rings are clear coated? They seem to be.

I have all mine off now, I had no trouble getting all the cap screws out with my cordless impact and a good new T30 bit. My rings have a lot of very fine scratches from washing, and I'm not able to polish them out. Not getting any black residue on the polishing rags so I have to believe there's a clear coating. Wondering if a quick coat of Rustoleum clear will have them looking better.

Does anybody know if the rings are clear coated? They seem to be.

I have all mine off now, I had no trouble getting all the cap screws out with my cordless impact and a good new T30 bit. My rings have a lot of very fine scratches from washing, and I'm not able to polish them out. Not getting any black residue on the polishing rags so I have to believe there's a clear coating. Wondering if a quick coat of Rustoleum clear will have them looking better.
Definitely clear coat of some kind. A couple of my rings have peeling in a couple spots, and others where corrosion is progressing away from mounting screw holes along the aluminum still under the clear.

Anybody know of a source for new center caps? Mine are pretty crusty, and 3 of the 4 are missing the metal ring inside the "fingers" that keep them from being loose.

I do love the look of these wheels, but honestly at this point I'm getting tired of the hassle. From the nuisance of the splined lug nuts, to the crusty rings with the $$$ cap screws that get stuck, and the NLA center caps that corrode and lose the clear coat... Meh... :meh:

Anybody know of a source for new center caps? Mine are pretty crusty, and 3 of the 4 are missing the metal ring inside the "fingers" that keep them from being loose.

I do love the look of these wheels, but honestly at this point I'm getting tired of the hassle. From the nuisance of the splined lug nuts, to the crusty rings with the $$$ cap screws that get stuck, and the NLA center caps that corrode and lose the clear coat... Meh... :meh:
I've had my set for 7+ years, no issues of the sort. I replaced center caps once from fading and a few rivets, but other than they are great. From my perspective anyone trying to put meaty rubber/LT tires these wheels are needed. I bought my center cap set off ebay few years back.

There was a run on the center caps a little over a year ago. I think they must have got clearance sales because you could find them for under $10/each. I suspect they are out of production now.

Might be a good time to cash in on yours and order a set of Dakar Corse wheels. I dont suspect used RWs are going to continue to hold their value as they get older. So now is probably the most they will ever be worth.

Does any one have a part number for a better fitting spare cover sub-assembly for the stock spare location?

The pictured stock cover does not fit the rock warrior wheel correctly, attached pics of stock cover

8B321F29-DAAB-4A26-8456-71634DFB2598.jpeg

48AE3994-E57B-465A-AB3F-AEE8520485AF.jpeg

Does any one have a part number for a better fitting spare cover sub-assembly for the stock spare location?

The pictured stock cover does not fit the rock warrior wheel correctly, attached pics of stock cover

View attachment 3061692

View attachment 3061693

I can't help with your specific question, but will say you'll also need to address the rubber bumpers that hit the wheel edge/ring. I went as far as replacing my bumpers with brand new ones, making sure the wheel lift is good and tight, and they still left significant marks/crud on the RW ring. Fortunately my spare is an already damaged wheel that stays in that location. But it would trash your powder coat.

View attachment 3061692

View attachment 3061693
Never seen that thing, not sure on the purpose.

Like @bloc says, the "bumpers" on the crossmember will wear marks into the soft aluminum rings of RW wheels. I solved this by taking an old HDPE cutting board and cutting some blocks about 3" x 7", which I attached to the crossmember where the tire hits with some 3M VHB double-sided tape. This spaces the wheel down just enough so it doesn't touch the bumpers.

Like @bloc says, the "bumpers" on the crossmember will wear marks into the soft aluminum rings of RW wheels. I solved this by taking an old HDPE cutting board and cutting some blocks about 3" x 7", which I attached to the crossmember where the tire hits with some 3M VHB double-sided tape. This spaces the wheel down just enough so it doesn't touch the bumpers.
Good call, I’ll copy this.

Did you remove the bumpers completely?

Good call, I’ll copy this.

Did you remove the bumpers completely?
I left the bumpers installed, but I guess you could take them off. I did some careful feeling about after cranking the tire up and there's about 1/8" gap now between the bumpers and the ring. The cutting board I used was about 1/2" thick.

It’s the rubber cover over the stock spare tire to protect it from the drop down winch/chain in the stock location. Was hoping there was a similar part number for an OEM cover made for the rock warrior wheel? Not sure if that’s a thing, but figured someone here would know or have a solution for how they protect their spare rock warrior in the stock location

Interesting solution, do you have a picture you can share?

It’s the rubber cover over the stock spare tire to protect it from the drop down winch/chain in the stock location. Was hoping there was a similar part number for an OEM cover made for the rock warrior wheel? Not sure if that’s a thing, but figured someone here would know or have a solution for how they protect their spare rock warrior in the stock location

You can actually guide the chain down through the hole while raising, and once in position the section under tension and the spare loop are central enough that they shouldn't hit anything on the face. If you aren't careful when raising though, the spare loop will lower down across the face.

I really think that cover is mostly to keep crud out of the lug nut area of the stock wheel.. stuff can really build up there over time. You may still deal with that issue but it's easy enough to remove when you go to mount the wheel.

Alternately you could form one yourself out of kydex.. the issue then will be keeping the cover itself from damaging your powder coat.

Yes, thanks to this forum I worked closely with the powder coater to make sure it was low temp, low bake time.

Thanks for the info on the valve stems, and TPMS!
@moonshadow200 What happened with the install? Did the TPMS sensors from your factory rims work in the Rock Warriors?
I am getting ready to do the swap and I am trying to get everything together. I have a 2018 as well.
Did you run into any other issues?
Looking for any and all information before I do the swap.
Thank you.

@moonshadow200 What happened with the install? Did the TPMS sensors from your factory rims work in the Rock Warriors?
I am getting ready to do the swap and I am trying to get everything together. I have a 2018 as well.
Thank you.
Probably not super helpful but my 08 TPMS sensors moved over fine when I switched to RW's years ago. I also just finally replaced those sensors with shiny new OEM sensors a few months ago. Can't speak for 2016+ if there were any changes that'd cause an issue

Probably not super helpful but my 08 TPMS sensors moved over fine when I switched to RW's years ago. I also just finally replaced those sensors with shiny new OEM sensors a few months ago. Can't speak for 2016+ if there were any changes that'd cause an issue
The 2015+ Land Cruiser sensors had a frequency change (or something similar). I think the sensors before that swapped over without any issues.
I will post when I get the correct info, or I do the swap.

The 2015+ Land Cruiser sensors had a frequency change (or something similar). I think the sensors before that swapped over without any issues.
I will post when I get the correct info, or I do the swap.
Ah I see. Curious, what tire size are you going with? Stock suspension?

Ah I see. Curious, what tire size are you going with? Stock suspension?
Going with KO2s in 285/70R17. Not lift currently installed, but I have an Ironman lift in my garage waiting to be installed.

Going with KO2s in 285/70R17. Not lift currently installed, but I have an Ironman lift in my garage waiting to be installed.
Nice, thats the same tire and size combo I went with when i had the stock suspension and It fit fine w/o any rubbing. Not sure if you need a skilled guy to do the swap but I've been having one of Murfs old CBT master-techs (you prob know him) do all my 200 work the past couple years, and I've been really happy with him. Feel free to PM me for details if needed. Conveniently located and nice loaners too. I even had him do my TPMS swap recently just to avoid having to deal with Discount Tire.

Thank you.
All the sensors for aluminum wheels are interchange as far as fit. If the sensors work on your truck now, then they will work when moved over to the Rock Warriors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom