CX RACING TURBO INSTALL HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Intercooler kit:

Turbo kit:

Upgraded turbo:

I have purchased the above with the upgraded ceramic dual bearing turbo. Says its built in USA. Probabaly built in US with chinese parts, but it seems to be well built.

I know there are a number of negative comments that can be made, but bottom line is I have this kit and plan on using it. I am not spending $6k for a turbo, not in my budget, so it is this or nothing. My truck is not a daily driver. Proably only put on 2k miles a year or less. But when I do drive it, I want to be able to drive up a mountain(paved road) whithout having to get out and push.

With that said, I have been working on cars for 40 plus years as a hobby. I can build or rebuild almost anything on a vehical as long as I have some intructions to go by. Thank you Youtube :)

This kit has ZERO instructions. I can figure out most from the pictures of the website, but not all.

So, the question is, has anyone else installed this kit lately? The only thing I can find on the forum is from 3 or 4 years ago. I plan to change the wastegate spring out for a 5psi. I am only looking for another 100hp really. I am not taking it to the dragstrip.

Also, what other mandatory upgrades do I have to make to get this kit working correctly?

Any positive input is very welcome!

Thanks
Todd

I have no help here but you need to come by the shop and take me for a spin once you get is sorted out!

Did the 4:56's and underdrive gears not give you enough? or was it just low range gears you installed?

Rob,

Haven't installed the new transfer case gears yet. I just want to be able to go up Afton Mountain without loaded 18 wheelers passing me with my peddle pushed to the floor :)

Plus I always like a challenge. This one is a little frustrating due the lack of any information.

It sounds like you took a couple really big bites. You’re going to want to put in a stand alone and get it actually tuned too. The stock ecu is pretty dumb, most people say it’s “fine”. But “fine” usually means you’re going to be doing lots of work later.

I just want to be able to go up Afton Mountain without loaded 18 wheelers passing me with my peddle pushed to the floor :)
As bad as it is getting passed by a fully loaded 18 wheeler climbing that mountain grade. You know what's even worst, getting passed by a 1985 Yugo pulling a trailer while you've got your Land Cruisers go peddle all the way to the floor.

As bad as it is getting passed by a fully loaded 18 wheeler climbing that mountain grade. You know what's even worst, getting passed by a 1985 Yugo pulling a trailer while you've got your Land Cruisers go peddle all the way to the floor.
I do not understand. I drove one of my 80s on 35's and stock gears up that in 3rd gear and 65 mph no issues. I would think 4:56's would do even better but might just run higher rpms??

Intercooler kit:

Turbo kit:

Upgraded turbo:

I have purchased the above with the upgraded ceramic dual bearing turbo. Says its built in USA. Probabaly built in US with chinese parts, but it seems to be well built.

I know there are a number of negative comments that can be made, but bottom line is I have this kit and plan on using it. I am not spending $6k for a turbo, not in my budget, so it is this or nothing. My truck is not a daily driver. Proably only put on 2k miles a year or less. But when I do drive it, I want to be able to drive up a mountain(paved road) whithout having to get out and push.

With that said, I have been working on cars for 40 plus years as a hobby. I can build or rebuild almost anything on a vehical as long as I have some intructions to go by. Thank you Youtube :)

This kit has ZERO instructions. I can figure out most from the pictures of the website, but not all.

So, the question is, has anyone else installed this kit lately? The only thing I can find on the forum is from 3 or 4 years ago. I plan to change the wastegate spring out for a 5psi. I am only looking for another 100hp really. I am not taking it to the dragstrip.

Also, what other mandatory upgrades do I have to make to get this kit working correctly?

Any positive input is very welcome!

Thanks
Todd
Looks like there are quite a few pics on the website of the complete installation which may help.

I question the use of the word "skid" for that splash guard. But Kudos for offering both Blue and Black silicone tubing! Those are the details that some vendors over look.

Actually, post pics with questions and I'm sure the collective can help you through the install.

I question the use of the word "skid" for that splash guard. But Kudos for offering both Blue and Black silicone tubing! Those are the details that some vendors over look.

Actually, post pics with questions and I'm sure the collective can help you through the install.
Thanks. Yeah I agree that using the word skid plate is pushing it a little, but it will help keep road debris and other airborn projectiles from damaging the cooling fins. I think it will be difficult to keep clean though. The only real pain in the butt part I see is dropping the oil pan and putting in the drain and the rusted mainifold bolts. I did a complete upper end rebuild about 5 years ago, so they are relatively new.

I will post picks when I get things started.

It sounds like you took a couple really big bites. You’re going to want to put in a stand alone and get it actually tuned too. The stock ecu is pretty dumb, most people say it’s “fine”. But “fine” usually means you’re going to be doing lots of work later.
Agree. Once you get past about 8 psi boost the stock systems start to struggle.

Does CX offer any good tech support? They obviously spent hours engineering/fitting and refitting based on the pics I’ve been eying this kit for my 80 but no directions is a non starter for me. I’m a parts changer, not a mechanic.

Major issue- Pulled the oil pan off and found a large amount of aluminum shavings in the oil pan. Including pictures of one of the longer slivers, it is about one inch long. Motor runs fine and not hearing any odd or loud noises. Oil preassure is the half way mark with fresh oil. I did a complete top end rebuild about 5 years ago. I only drive the truck 2k miles a yera or less so it has about 10k on it since rebuild. I dont recall if I pulled the oil pan when I did the head gasket. Just drained the oil. The shaving could be from last week or 15 years ago?? If its rod bearings, I am screwded. Really dont want to go to the trouble of installing a turbo on an engine that needs rod bearings.

Very Very bummed at the moment. From what I have read, its best to pull the engine. Even though I have been working on cars for 40+ years, I dont have the equipment to pull the motor or the desire.

The shavings look like this. One side is almost all bright silver and the other side is much darker. Has anyone actually seen rod bearing shavings? I would think(hope) that maybe both sides would be bright silver?

One article I read mentioned the timing chain might have gouged out the slivers due to the reduced clearance from having the head machined. Anyone ever heard of that?

20230102_150932.jpg

20230102_150908.jpg

Major issue- Pulled the oil pan off and found a large amount of aluminum shavings in the oil pan. Including pictures of one of the longer slivers, it is about one inch long. Motor runs fine and not hearing any odd or loud noises. Oil preassure is the half way mark with fresh oil. I did a complete top end rebuild about 5 years ago. I only drive the truck 2k miles a yera or less so it has about 10k on it since rebuild. I dont recall if I pulled the oil pan when I did the head gasket. Just drained the oil. The shaving could be from last week or 15 years ago?? If its rod bearings, I am screwded. Really dont want to go to the trouble of installing a turbo on an engine that needs rod bearings.

Very Very bummed at the moment. From what I have read, its best to pull the engine. Even though I have been working on cars for 40+ years, I dont have the equipment to pull the motor or the desire.

The shavings look like this. One side is almost all bright silver and the other side is much darker. Has anyone actually seen rod bearing shavings? I would think(hope) that maybe both sides would be bright silver?

One article I read mentioned the timing chain might have gouged out the slivers due to the reduced clearance from having the head machined. Anyone ever heard of that?

View attachment 3208114

View attachment 3208115
I would suspect something is going on inside the timing cover. I would probably pull the cover completely and inspect it. Did you replace the guides? I highly doubt that is a bearing issue.

Honestly I dont remember, but I dont think so. Next weeks project will be pulling the timing chain cover and inspecting.

Also, I cut the oil filter apart and did not find any metal. Only little black particles that smells like combustion residue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom