Post your wheeling damage pics (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm certainly not opposed it. When I was first looking into it last year, I remember wishing there was a kit put together to purchase. But maybe now I need to study the pros and cons more closely.
If you go Tundra swap you can get chromoly CVs which will be stronger and less likely to break.

I don't think I was spinning or on the gas much at all when it happened I also wasn't cranked hard to one side. Every time I've broken a birf in the past, it's because I was turned hard or spinning. Not the case here so it makes me wonder.
To me it looks like both front wheels were spinning, albeit slowly. You even started to slide backwards before what kind of looks like the front passenger getting some traction.

To me it looks like both front wheels were spinning, albeit slowly. You even started to slide backwards before what kind of looks like the front passenger getting some traction.
That was my thought as well from the video.

There likely was some instantaneous torque applied to that CV joint even though it’s not an obvious abuse. The front wheels were slipping, truck slides backwards, wheel grips, bearing cage takes a very brief shock load and gives out.

Glad you were able to hack off the CV and get off the trail. Did you just lock the CDL and drive off or did you unbolt the front driveshaft too?

Wondering how hard it is to break the CV shaft off the outer cage, for someone who didn’t have a grinder or saws all handy.

I just realized I need to follow up on my last damage report. But for now, I thought I would share my damage from last weekend.

This should drop you right where I broke and what we did to get off the trail.

What wheels are you running? I tried to figure it out but I cannot find anything that looks like those black rhino's in a 5x150.

I am going to have to watch this guy's videos more than once or twice. And now I realize why:
"A nerdy mechanical engineer's adventure in 4 wheeling, overlanding and tinkering in the garage."
More technical than I am that's for sure. Super stoked to subscribe however so thank you for sharing.

So I do have the SPC UCAs, stock LCAs. Without locating my Cruiser Outfitter's receipt, I'm pretty sure it's these:

200 Series OEM Front Leveling Spring Spacers- 1/2" set​

View attachment 3180952

A little frustrating because I do generally think I want a little more lift and certainly more droop. But I can't keep braking axles. I am not opposed to trimming metal, but I enjoy flex. I guess I have more learning to do.

Would be interesting if you were able to get a measurement of your fender to wheel hub as a reference for droop travel?

I'm certainly not opposed it. When I was first looking into it last year, I remember wishing there was a kit put together to purchase. But maybe now I need to study the pros and cons more closely.
Here you go but it’s a more expensive way to go vs. a Tundra swap. However another member @GreatWhiteRoamer has this setup and seems to like it and he’s running full 35”s easily. He’s traveling with it through SA.

Here you go but it’s a more expensive way to go vs. a Tundra swap. However another member @GreatWhiteRoamer has this setup and seems to like it and he’s running full 35”s easily. He’s traveling with it through SA.

Pretty sure you could do the entire Tundra swap for the cost of those arms.

Glad you were able to hack off the CV and get off the trail. Did you just lock the CDL and drive off or did you unbolt the front driveshaft too?

Wondering how hard it is to break the CV shaft off the outer cage, for someone who didn’t have a grinder or saws all handy.
All we did was cut out the section of axle and use the CDL to get off the trail and home. Crazy coincidence we had a cordless grinder with cutoff wheels!
What wheels are you running? I tried to figure it out but I cannot find anything that looks like those black rhino's in a 5x150.
My OCD and I REALLY wanted a black wheel that offered a removable rock guard that could be replaced, or simply removed and sanded or removed and painted, etc. After weeks of searching, this was the ONLY one I could find in our bolt pattern. I ordered 7 total in order to match my M101A2 trailer. It took 9 months AFTER paying to acquire these guys. They also seemed to have gone up $100 each from when I first found them.
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 11.27.27 AM.png

Would be interesting if you were able to get a measurement of your fender to wheel hub as a reference for droop travel?
I really appreciate everyone being will to analyze this with me. I will work on these measurements next week (hopefully Monday) when I am back in town.

I just realized I need to follow up on my last damage report. But for now, I thought I would share my damage from last weekend.

This should drop you right where I broke and what we did to get off the trail.

Same for me.... barley any throttle at full droop and 💥....Exploded inner and sheared mid shaft. I didn't have a grinder so I strapped it down. I think I was getting 28 degrees on factory cv at full droop...(guess that the just over the threshold)... according to rcv engineers I can run 32 degrees now... but I think I'll limit strap it at 28 degrees to be on the safe side

20220718_123605.jpg

20220718_151022.jpg

20220922_195907.jpg

927.jpg

Same for me.... barley any throttle at full droop and 💥....Exploded inner and sheared mid shaft. I didn't have a grinder so I strapped it down. I think I was getting 28 degrees on factory cv at full droop...(guess that the just over the threshold)... according to rcv engineers I can run 32 degrees now... but I think I'll limit strap it at 28 degrees to be on the safe side

View attachment 3186147

View attachment 3186148

View attachment 3186149

View attachment 3186150
I would like to hear more about these CV’s in how they compare to OEM. Sure looks pretty, how much are these. Hopefully these are cure for those who trail hard.

FWIW..
breaking on the droop side when you are over extending the CV angle down is not surprising... doesn't take much torque to shatter the cage.
They really cannot be that strong because of the design.
The shaft is normally from torque over time twisting the shaft (when the wheel is spinning and the CV is lined up and then getting traction, when you install the new ones draw a line down the center of the shaft to monitor it, one of my defender ones was spiraled all the way around when I replaced it.

I would remove the spacers and probably limit the angle to a 1-2 degrees under spec (28 degrees), since you are lifted 2.5".. anyway measure it and limit accordingly.

Really the only way to to get more usable droop is longer arms and CV's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom