original 40's toyota trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool. Looks like it used FF hub bodies with a dust flange installed. We need to fine one of these for the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum!

Cool find!
Brakes on a such a light trailer? Is that a service brake or just a parking brake? Good luck with your restoration. Would love to see more.

More details:

-I have been researching, and T10 is almost exactly to bantams & willys ¼ trailer regarding brake systems and hitch system. Lunnete is the same.

-Brake system only works as a hand brake by cable system. Mine is missing!! I need to find more info and try to replicate the system.

- Front and side reflectors are the same as 55s series amber side and 40 series rear red round. Rear reflectors are Koito with a triangle shape, one is missing. No idea where to find it…

-Rear taillight/brake (local legal requirement) I think I will use a 69-73 series 40 round lamp. I don’t know if the white trailer above in this thread is in original shape, because those tail light are too similar to Land Rover Defender tail light (Bullet type).

More pics:

IMG_7765_zps88680fad.jpg

IMG_7757_zps0a15575b.jpg

IMG_7752_zps50a4a4f9.jpg

IMG_7751_zpsd7af69fc.jpg

IMG_7747_zps7b313add.jpg

IMG_7746_zps8d382663.jpg

IMG_7743_zpsf28bc332.jpg

IMG_7744_zps880054e6.jpg

IMG_7742_zps50ce3877.jpg
IMG_7740_zpsb46b0915.jpg

Nice find on the T10. Good luck with the restoration. I would love to see how the restoration goes so don't forget to post pictures.

Maybe will be a better idea to start a new thread with this restoration, but I think I will post this initial “autopsy” process in this thread as a T-10 documentation.

-Starting with the axle and drum brakes:

-I didn’t take a photo, but the hubs externally are similar to a FF hub, but after remove the cap, I found a BIG axle nut, like a typical trailer hub.

IMG_6085_zpse75717de.jpg

-The drum looks like a rear 40 series. Because is only a hand brake system, the pads are almost new from factory. The front brake cylinder is equals to a 40 series, including the regulators, but the special characteristic is that the fluid lines have been not including from factory, instead, Toyota installed a plug. Therefore those cylinders brakes acts like a fixed support for the pads with the regulation option. The rear cylinder have an mechanical system for the expansion. An “oval” shaft that is actuated from external lever pulled by a cable. (the cable and the lever are missing in my trailer, don’t try to find it at the pictures).

IMG_6104_zpsc91dd88f.jpg

IMG_6111_zpsa955b511.jpg

IMG_6110_zpsa3aea04f.jpg

IMG_6089_zpsc3436734.jpg

-Leaf springs, shocks mount and U bolts, looks the same as a 40 series.

IMG_6087_zpsba5ead8d.jpg

IMG_6086_zps4d7ec50c.jpg

IMG_6088_zpse3c295e9.jpg

BONUS:

-Even I will have to sandblast the whole body, after removing some reflectors, It was a pleasure to prove that the original color paint from factory was: Beige …. That by chance is color of my FJ40 :). Therefore, is not necessary to think a lot to choose a color…. The final color will be the same as my rig and also the factory trailer color.

IMG_6112_zps203641b2.jpg

They look very similar to the ones we used to use when I was in the Air Force. We used to call them a TAC Trailer. They even have the large ring for towing.
TAC Trailer.jpg

Me again, after almost 9 years!.

I finished the restoration of the T10. Took me more than expected, but I had others personal projects to manage, but now I can post some pictures and "a long" 12 min video" with many photos of the whole process.

After all these years, not many information about T-10 apeared in internet, tried to contact some japanese guys with some questions, but no answer. Seems that te production was very limited and there are two types of body. The early models with round mudwards and the later production with the squared ones (mine)

I didnt find round amber reflectors and one missing triangular, therefore I had to replicate the triangular and use some "oval" koito reflectors for the front. Also change the round red laterals to oval red to keep the oval style. Regular steelies were replaced by split rims and the plate holder & light is custom made. A couple of a local replicas like underbody brake mechanism and the landing leg, but no mayor mods.

I hope you enjoy it

IMG_4322.JPEG
IMG_4756.JPEG

IMG_4314.JPEG

IMG_4756-1.JPEG

IMG_4206.JPEG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom