Builds Project Rehab (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@audi2nr did this to his hood.

IMG_20220805_111344.jpg
IMG_20220806_103939.jpg

I'm wondering if I should do the same 🤔

What do you all think?

Will those coil packs like getting rained on?

The snorkel should be really good for the intake air temps which LS motors respond really noticeably better with. You could do the holes in the hood but I would cover it with a scoop or something as it will keep some dirt out. Sitting with just a grill the engine will get dirtier when parked. I have a pretty big hood scoop. If you want to get really creative for cooling make it so the hood holds a second radiator. That would be cool I think-no pun intended. I would also recommend pulling the front axle coils and letting the truck sit on the bump stops. It will help you verify clearances under full stuff for exhaust, oil pan, and drive shaft.

Good point 🤷🏽‍♂️
I have driven in the rain and snow and even washed the truck to test and there is some water that gets in but while in operation its not an issue as the engine bay area is so damn hot on these things that it just evaporates instantly with the engine running. Water only gets in and gets stuff wet when it sits outside and the engine is cool, with that being said i will be making a small removable shield i can remove for the summer months that runs the length of the openings front to back and like 4"wide and it will be bent down kind of like an L shape to shield the the area of the valve cover to keep water from getting into that area when it ever sits outside. As far as its cooling effectiveness i'd say it works amazing, the heat just pours out of the holes when in operation you can just see the heat waves coming up and out, i think any hole even a scoop would work however but after looking at lots of different scoops and louvers this option looked the best in my opinion. the forward most hole is close enough to the radiator that with the engine running and the truck not in motion the air exiting the fan immediately gets pushed up and out instead of circulating in the bay which is probably a good thing for low speed crawling / moving slow down the trail. i currently have an open element filter with a sock on it and at idle and not moving i'll see IAT's in the low 100's but once you start moving IAT's go to ambient, i am looking at eventually getting an airbox setup from @torfab that pulls air from the fender and uses a duramax airfilter. As far as keeping the bay clean, well i think the engine bay regardless is going to get muddy/dusty, how much more than stock or a scoop is hard to say but i think with a hot turbo in the area the effectiveness might outweigh the little bit of extra dirt you can just pressure wash out. i want to do some testing with another truck near me to get some empirical evidence but imo it works well. I also did some more cleanup on the edges as the pic you posted was a rough cut not fully finished, i ended up hitting the edges with touchup paint and painting the grills to match the paint which turned out ok but you can tell the difference in paint due to the 25 year old paint vs new and the difficulty of laying down metallic paint but i love it. if anyone wants more detailed pics or help doing this just hit me up. :cheers:

Checked off a few more things on the list.

Dropped the transmission pan because I knew it was going to be horrible. . .and it was.
20230102_120543.jpg
20230102_120627_HDR.jpg
20230102_120645_HDR.jpg
20230102_122528(1).jpg

But picked up the wrong filter from AutoZone. Got the correct one now, and added to the list for next weekend.

I also added AN fittings to the transmission.
20230102_124307_HDR.jpg

Put the intake manifold and cover on.
20230102_143207_HDR.jpg

Bypassed the rear heater and put a quick connect on the fuel line. I have to find a smaller size fitting for the return line.
20230102_143219.jpg
20230102_143231.jpg

Started finishing up what I started last week. I put the correct transmission filter in, noticed I forgot to get a crank sensor. . added that. So I think I'm ready to add oil and transmission fluid.

Wanted to start plumbing up all the power steering bits and pieces but I'm missing an AN adapter for the steering box 😕

Lastly for today I decided to be a little "extra" 💁🏽‍♂️. I put on most of the coolant hoses and added abrasion to them. Also did the break booster hose.

20230107_151216.jpg
20230107_151224.jpg
20230107_151233.jpg

It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll see what and how much I get done.

Moving fast bro! You’re def being extra but it looks awesome.
Thank you. I have a limited time to get as much as possible done. I think I have a few 4-days coming up, then all of February is a wash (National Training Center (NTC) California 🙄🤦🏽‍♂️).
I think March 15th I deploy. Soo I also have to start putting everything in storage.

I don’t envy your work schedule. You don’t think you’ll finish before you deploy? You have no life anymore. Your family is gone. You don’t need to sleep. Eating is overrated. What am I missing

I don’t envy your work schedule. You don’t think you’ll finish before you deploy? You have no life anymore. Your family is gone. You don’t need to sleep. Eating is overrated. What am I missing
Well the LC is at @fourtrax house. He lives about an hr away from me. My HOA would go 🦧 💩 if I worked on it in my driveway. Hell, I can't even park on the grass on the side of the house without them complaining.

The other fitting on the fuel rail is the return and it is 100% ok to just use a rubber hose and clamps from there to the original 80 fuel return hardline in the engine bay. That’s the same way it is on 1FZ and 2UZ.

The fuel rails with the built-in regulator that you have are definitely the way to go for super easy setup.

Just a drizzle today for the most part. Mounted the power steering cooler and connected the hoses that I could. . And of course, I abrais'd them.
20230108_152922_HDR.jpg

Had to use a zip-tieto keep the hose away from the pulley and belt.
20230108_152933.jpg

Ran the fuel lines and zip-tied them where I think I'll mount them.
20230108_152941.jpg
20230108_153003_HDR.jpg

And POR-15'd the rust spot on the DS floor. Eventually I'll through down some fiberglass to seal the holes.
20230108_153030.jpg

It's starting to look like a LC again. Hood is on, but even with the hood raisers it's hitting the front part of the intake. .gonna have to figure that out.

All AN lines are connected to something. Wanted to mount the radiator today, but threw away the old one that had the side mounts on it 🤦🏽‍♂️
20230114_162236_HDR.jpg
20230114_162244_HDR.jpg
20230114_162316_HDR.jpg

The plan is to put the lift and tires on tomorrow. @roflbox is gonna stop by to lend a hand.

Also bought two sticks of DOM tubing. We are going to re-frame the back wall for more support. Got an AMAZING!!! deal from these guys that had it in their inventory for a while. . $80 for a 20ft stick 🤫. I bought all they had. Now a day, a great deal for DOM is $200 a stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom