New 60 owner...RE-smogging in CA, a journey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

As you can infer from the title, i have recently purchased a 1986 FJ60 FROM AZ, as a resident in CA.

Sold my 1991 dodge w250 cummins turbo diesel to fund my want/need for a 60 series
I did all of the body/paint work to this truck, and plan to eventually for the 60 as well

20221015_214526.jpg

(Bike in the front in a 2014 yamaha fj09, hence my username)

20221219_115948.jpg

Quick rundown

1986 fj60
171k miles
OME 2" lift, 33 BFG KO's and thats prettu much it for driving mods.
Very clean truck, 0 rust and just a couple battle scars from its previous lives.

As the good people of AZ are accustomed to, they do not require a smog check and subsequently, this vehicle was desmogged prior to my ownership. FORTUNATELY, it came with all (as far as i know), of the removed smog pieces.
Smog pump (not sure if its 60 or 62? Were they all the same?)
Air injection rail (needs 1 injector line straightened)
Egr
Various vacuum valves/tubing etc

I dont think i have anything missing as of yet, however there are a couple vacuum valves with broken nipple that need addressing

This will serve as both an introduction of myself and my rig, as well as my journey to make this truck legal in CA again.

Happy to be part of the group!
Thanks!
FJx2Ways (luke)

First order of business was to fix a couple valves with broken plastic nipples from the removal process.

Being that these are ridiculously expensive, i figured it was worth my while to fix what i can.

20221221_091817.jpg

Originally, all i had done was attempt to sand down the sides, and use a plastic epoxy (autozone 2 part...not sure the brand right now). It worked, so it seems, untill i bumped itn while re-installing vacuum lines.

It needed more support, and what i found while searching, was where someone had drilled the hole out to accept the barb as a male/female fot. Alas, there were no pictures.

Heres what i did.

Being a machinist, i have access to different types of tooling, and in this case, i used a square flute endmill. I believe it was .125 diamter (1/8). The nipple side needed just a slight bit of sanding to bring it down to a nice snug fit. I actually chucked it in a drill with a piece of tubing on it, to allow me to tighten the drill chuck without worry of crushing the plastic. I then made a makeshift lathe of sorts with my drill and a hand file.

20221221_091913.jpg

I used some gel superglue on both the bore and the boss of the pieces fitting together. Once fit, do not rush (read as do the day before install).
The valve worked great, the other didnt (pretty sure it was eff'd before "fixing"...didnt check).

Ended up ordering a replacement from City Racer llc for the one thats damaged. Will report back with updates

In the end i fixed one VCV and a blue check valve.

20221221_091936.jpg

Also...it doesnt matter if you dont have the original nipple corresponding to the valve. I used an amazon set of vacuum fittings and cut, sanded nipples to fit. Just use a cheap set of calipers to determing the OD you need to drill the valve to, allowing for some extra material to support the new nipple. Check with a hand vacuum pump after glue sets.

If you don’t have something already, you can buy a copy of the OEM emissions manual model year specific from Specter Off-road for like 30 bucks. Contains all you need to tackle this project.

If you don’t have something already, you can buy a copy of the OEM emissions manual model year specific from Specter Off-road for like 30 bucks. Contains all you need to tackle this project.
First thing i did was buy the emissions manual and the maintenance manual from spectre. Fortunatly, theyre only 25 min from me!

First thing i did was buy the emissions manual and the maintenance manual from spectre. Fortunatly, theyre only 25 min from me!
let me know if you need help! I am just over the hill from you.
good luck

i have Known Jorge personally for almost 20 years ,, maybe 18 exaclty ..... :D

he is one of the MOST talented and Toyota vintage SKILL-SETs all around FIELD type Technicians i know

we have worked in tandem on more then a few projects , all things vintage TOYOTA anything ..

he subscribes to the T-TEN factory focus points mind-set approach philosophy i have helped to skool him on .... :cool:

ill VOUCH for him and his high end end product land cruiser work , he knows the whole CA spec. SMOG and Emissions compliance topic far more then any shreds i do

if you require a professional level , service provider he is your go-to-TEq

kindly matt

DSCN0683 - Copy - Copy1.png

That's a nice looking 60! I bet it runs and drives sooo nice desmogged. Get ready for the disappointment when you bolt it all back on! 😉

Seriously though, if you need any reference pics or info, let me know. My '85 still has all the smog gear intact and working.

Not smog legal

Correct- California Air Resources Board (CARB, aka smog police) is more interested in making sure a vehicle has all the original emissions equipment than it having tailpipe emissions matching a prius.
They are leagues happier if a vehicle just barely passes a smog test on the tailpipe with original emissions equipment than a modernized older vehicle with aftermarket performance equipment that produces extremely low emissions.
Its the way of bureaucracy.

I'm trying to get my 1983 FJ40 to pass smog in Nevada. All the parts are there and I believe - but not certain - they are working but the vacuum lines are a mess, Looking for someone who can untangle it and help get it to pass.

You could get a reprint of the factory emissions manual for your specific model year from Specter off-road that has diagrams of the vacuum hose layout and diagnostic help for each sub-system for like 30 bucks.

@gkettler
Here’s the Toyota emissions manual in pdf. Bound printed paper manuals are much easier to use when working on the vehicle but digital pdfs can be convenient for studying.

Attachments

• 2F Emissions Manual.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom