Going up to Mammoth, need advise on snow chain! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"Good Enough"? No way of knowing until you are in the situation.

You'll be better off then with out any chains. But you'll have to decide where to put them. Up front is good for steering control but on downhills you may want them on the rear to keep the rear end from sliding around in front of you. I won't give you a hard time about having just one pair though.

I have two pairs so I don't have to think as hard. Four chains means four braking wheels which I have already mentioned as being key in my mind.

Last edited:
I have admittedly fairly minor experience driving in snow, and with traction cables, but the comment about chains on 4 tires caught my attention...

No to step on anyone's toes, but I just checked my 2000 LX OM:
Chain installation
Install the chains on the rear tires as tightly as possible.
Do Not use tire chains on the front tires. Retighten chains after driving 1/4-1/2mile.
Do not exceed 30mph, or the chains manufacturer's recommended spd limit.
----------

This may be different (though I'm not sure why or how) on the LC - but I know that chains increase the overall effective diameter of the tire, and turning with them can damage the wheel wells. Possibly going with cables on the front could minimize this, since they are of much smaller profile.

If it's a serious concern, I would talk to the dealer.

Again, not saying anyone is wrong, just offering the info that I know.

I know, taht Lexus GX (Prado) doesn't have enough space on the front wheels to use snow chains. But I don't know the reason, why this should be a problem on a LX (or Land cruiser) - at least not with standard sized tires.
Other fact is, that putting snow chains on is a helluva job. Can be easier if you have an air jack ;) . If you use snow chans for emergencies only (and not for planned offroading), one pair mounted on the rear tires is more than enough.

Regards
Samo

FWIW, I've been going to Tahoe in various types of 4 wheel drive vehicles equipped with decent snow tires for 20 years now and I have never needed chains. If the roads conditions are so severe that you need 4 wheel drive AND chains, Caltrans isn't letting you on it. Even off on side roads that aren't regularly plowed, four wheel drive should get you in and out. In fact, the reason I bought my 1st 4x4 when I was 18 was cuz I HATE dealing with chains. I've also driven through sever weather in Utah and Colorado and never needed them.

It's true, maintaining control when you're slowing down is the tricky part. Just go slow, use your engine to check your speed and don't jump on the breaks really hard. Biggest thing is to go slow. I've actually had people pass me, then passed them a few turns later when they skidded into a snow bank. It's happened on three different occasions.

Anyway, it's always a good feeling as you cruise through the check point all nice and warm and cozy and clean cuz you didn't have to crawl around in the slush and mud installing chains!

It is always best to have them with you. The CHP may shut down the road except for chains.

I have had good luck with the cable chains. Security Chain Co.

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction Pages/Trac_home.html

I would look at the Super Z8 model # SZ 468.

Test them for clearance BEFORE you leave to avoid unpleasant fender damage:doh:

Get them now. When it snows, they will run out.
What tire did you have for that chain model? I’m running LT285/60/18KO2’s and haven’t found chains or cables that fit properly. I think you have same tire but found this thread in a search, TIA.

What tire did you have for that chain model? I’m running LT285/60/18KO2’s and haven’t found chains or cables that fit properly. I think you have same tire but found this thread in a search, TIA.
There's a chance that particular poster won't reply. The last time anyone saw him was Nov. 2006

Lived in NorCal all my life and been up to Tahoe many many times. After I got a 4x4 no need for chains, especially with good AT tires. The new 3PMSF tires are even better. If you really want to use chains, there's usually a chain crew by the checkpoints that will install em for you for a fee. Just pay those guys instead of killing yourself doing the dirty work. However as someone else posted 1) Caltrans is not likely to let you through if a 4x4 is needing snow chains and 2) I don't want to be on the road in those kind of conditions anyway. Just go slow and remember Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws. And black ice is the most dangerous thing on the road beside idiot drivers who do not respect Newton's laws.

Lived in NorCal all my life and been up to Tahoe many many times. After I got a 4x4 no need for chains, especially with good AT tires. The new 3PMSF tires are even better. If you really want to use chains, there's usually a chain crew by the checkpoints that will install em for you for a fee. Just pay those guys instead of killing yourself doing the dirty work. However as someone else posted 1) Caltrans is not likely to let you through if a 4x4 is needing snow chains and 2) I don't want to be on the road in those kind of conditions anyway. Just go slow and remember Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws. And black ice is the most dangerous thing on the road beside idiot drivers who do not respect Newton's laws.
Thanks, I’ve been up in the Sierras 100’s of times, I’m actually looking for a chain or cable that fits the KO2, putting them on is the easy part. Going from Bishop to Mammoth, I’ve had to prove I had chains a dozen times.

I run Rud Grip chains on my 275/70/18’s with 1.25 spacers all the way around and have no interference. Hope this helps someone down the line.

Do you run only on the rear? or both?
Stock setup doesn't really allow for enough spacing on the front for full size chains without compromising upper control arm. Nothing better than a set of studded snow tires on a 100 series cruiser. My chains rarely come out and the only time they do is far off grid on non-paved roads just to keep my ass end from sliding out in front of me going down steep grades.

I believe @Jrod is saying the run the chains on all 4 corners, but they are only able to do that since they have a 1.25-inch spacer on the front wheels.
Whoops, missed the comment he was replying too.
Even with cables, not traditional chains?
It will depend on the cable, there isn't much room there. Do you see any scenarios where you need to chain up all your tires to get to where you're going? I'm not familiar with your area. Do other vehicles get through without chains / cables? What type of tires are you running?

I believe @Jrod is saying the run the chains on all 4 corners, but they are only able to do that since they have a 1.25-inch spacer on the front wheels.
Hi all, I was able to run chains on all 4 corners with no issues. I had aftermarket UCA’s and 1.25” wheel spacers. I never had the truck at full lock or full compression. Hope that helps.

Whoops, missed the comment he was replying too.

It will depend on the cable, there isn't much room there. Do you see any scenarios where you need to chain up all your tires to get to where you're going? I'm not familiar with your area. Do other vehicles get through without chains / cables? What type of tires are you running?
Just for curiosity in case they ever require it. I already have cables for the rears but I'm going to buy new cables for my 33s wondering if I need one pair or two.

Just for curiosity in case they ever require it. I already have cables for the rears but I'm going to buy new cables for my 33s wondering if I need one pair or two.
Understood, I'd say without spacer it will be a tight fit up front and may not be possible, especially with larger than stock tires. Looks like a few members including the previous post have had success with all 4 with spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom