Builds My GCC Spec 1HD-FTE Converted FZJ100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All I can is wow! It's a labor of love, for sure. Can you help me? I have a lead on a 2004 GCC 1FZ GX with a 5 sp. I live in Maine. Your post made me realize how much different these are than USDM cruisers, and now I'm a bit nervous about pulling the trigger on it. Also, the heater core!! It is definitely colder in AB than Maine. A really cold winter day here is 0 degF, it's more normally like 15degF. Do you think I'd need to also do the heater core? Have the back seat people frozen to death or have you not had people back there in the winter without the rear heat system?

Most importantly, is there anything else you would think I need to do besides the heater core to drive this thing in a cold climate?

So the most difficult part of the conversion is certainly the wiring. However, there are guys in Australia that can help you out. They'll even build complete harnesses for you so it's plug and play. I'm currently working that out as I decided not to modify the dash harness myself...

As for the immobilizer, fun fact, early model HDJ101's, 98, 99 and I think 00 do not have an immobilizer from factory. My ECU is from a 99 HDJ101 and it checked out. So I would say keep an eye out for early model HDJ101 donor vehicles for your conversion. Also, as I understand, it's better to use an auto ECU as it will have cruise control as the manuals do not.
Hi GN, when you have time I would love to hear about the wiring challenges and how you overcame them, in as much detail as you care to share. I'd love to learn about the AUS suppliers, for example.

All I can is wow! It's a labor of love, for sure. Can you help me? I have a lead on a 2004 GCC 1FZ GX with a 5 sp. I live in Maine. Your post made me realize how much different these are than USDM cruisers, and now I'm a bit nervous about pulling the trigger on it. Also, the heater core!! It is definitely colder in AB than Maine. A really cold winter day here is 0 degF, it's more normally like 15degF. Do you think I'd need to also do the heater core? Have the back seat people frozen to death or have you not had people back there in the winter without the rear heat system?

Most importantly, is there anything else you would think I need to do besides the heater core to drive this thing in a cold climate?

So first big issue is the 25 year import rule, it’ll be flat out impossible to import permanently unless you only want it in the US for 1 year. The laws are robust and there are no work arounds for permanent importation sub 25 years, especially for a vehicle like this.

Heater core is a MUST. But I will say the 1FZ heats up very quickly and heats up the cab just fine. Also, you’d need to replace the undersized starter. It won’t start in sub 0 F otherwise, or it will just barely.

Last edited:
Hi GN, when you have time I would love to hear about the wiring challenges and how you overcame them, in as much detail as you care to share. I'd love to learn about the AUS suppliers, for example.

Wiring was a HUGE undertaking. Probably spent close to 50 hours on wiring alone. Granted, I spliced everything into my 1FZ harnesses from donor HDJ101 harnesses which made it much more difficult. I thought about getting complete FTE harnesses from Europe, but they would be missing a lot of the wiring needed for a GCC spec vehicle, for example the AC solenoid for the fridge on the front, dual pressure switch on the AC system, all the fridge wiring, multiplex unit would be incompatible, and wouldn’t work with a GCC truck with manual climate control which mine has. And that’s just what I could tell from the outset, if I dug in further I’m sure there would have been more. Oh and the Euro harness would be missing sub tank wiring.

So, either find a donor somewhere in Asia that came with a LHD 100 with FTE and all the Gen market options (good luck) or make your own harness, or buy a Euro FTE harness and modify to work with the GCC truck. I took the extra time to learn the Toyota EWD in its entirety and how they designed the wiring system, which, if I hadn’t done that, not sure if I would have been able to do this myself.

Overall, very challenging. And I wouldn’t in a million years trust the local mechanics in the Middle East to do any of this. For those that have lived in the GCC, you understand what I mean.

Overall, very challenging. And I wouldn’t in a million years trust the local mechanics in the Middle East to do any of this. For those that have lived in the GCC, you understand what I mean.
Yes. Pretty typical to see hand-twisted splices covered in the cheapest possible Chinese black tape--which of course is falling off. I've even seen splices with masking tape covering them. It is all about getting it out the door and back on the road...for a while.

I forgot to post my progress pictures of my interior and wiring adventure.

As mentioned before, I decided to do the conversion wiring completely custom myself. The reasoning was that the GCC options on this truck are so specific, it would be near impossible to find a diesel donor harness that would be compatible with this vehicle. Therefore, I ended up learning the Toyota EWD for the 100 and all the ECU wiring and sharpened my soldering and taping skills.

Below shows all the ECU wiring where I had to add almost 20 wires for the accelerator pedal which is fly by wire, cruise control, various spill valve wiring and various additional items that are specific to the FTE. There were also a significant number of wirings I had to delete and tape off that were gasoline specific.

9E6DAB64-1BDD-44B4-A0D7-DEC5AE15B981.jpeg

Wiring consolidated with ECU mounted. This was no small feat to get everything to fit properly and reliably. I want this to last 20 years so I can’t risk any wiring rubbing on components and wearing out over time.

FC9DC5C5-2C9F-4A0C-A0FB-9F8FECC2C87C.jpeg

28BD6B63-593A-4286-9297-8118E1CD5FCA.jpeg

So first big issue is the 25 year import rule, it’ll be flat out impossible to import permanently unless you only want it in the US for 1 year. The laws are robust and there are no work arounds for permanent importation sub 25 years, especially for a vehicle like this.

Heater core is a MUST. But I will say the 1FZ heats up very quickly and heats up the cab just fine. Also, you’d need to replace the undersized starter. It won’t start in sub 0 F otherwise, or it will just barely.
Thanks for much for your thoughts! Is the documentation pretty clear on the paperwork when it's imported only for a year? If the guy ends up with a normal looking title, is is still flagged inside the database somehow? I'm not clear on how he's bringing it in, but I believe it was his personal vehicle in the middle east prior to importing.

Is the documentation pretty clear on the paperwork when it's imported only for a year? If the guy ends up with a normal looking title, is is still flagged inside the database somehow? I'm not clear on how he's bringing it in, but I believe it was his personal vehicle in the middle east prior to importing.
Where would the 'normal looking title' come from? I don't think you get a title when you bring it into the country--but I hasten to add I've never attempted to bring in a car on this temporary basis. Only import in accord with the 25 year rule--when the local DMV looks at the import paperwork and creates a US title for the first time. If someone on here can comment on the mechanics of the temporary import and what the paperwork looks like, that would be very interesting. I also had the impression that the drive-in-from-Canada was limited to 1 month, but again, I really am at the beginning of learning about this.

Nice rig and build

Are you planning to regear the axles for better highway rpms? with H151 and 4:11 gearing the engine is at higher rpms at highway speeds.

I wish you'd kept the cloth interior. It would bee more unique in your part of the world.

Love it!

It’s done and on the road!

This whole process has taken me almost 3 years of research, finding parts, planning and probably 500+ hours of my own labor.

It drives perfect, it’s smooth, relatively quiet and is better than i expected. I had a fear that doing this big of a conversion, ultimately being a one way trip for this truck, would create new problems that I’d have to live with. But I’m happy to say, so far, I’m quite happy with it. Maybe time will tell.

However, there will be no more wrenching for me, I’m taking a hiatus for a little while. This took a very large portion lot of my time and energy (and not to mention money) which I’d like to focus elsewhere.

For now, I’ll leave you with photos of the finished product, and stories from future adventures this summer!

F5561314-F917-4773-A901-FE6A9E41D31B.jpeg

F491D8A1-7C90-4BD0-B87A-B371FC401280.jpeg

718C78B0-ADFF-4987-8495-C3CBBACB7D48.jpeg

C8F845B7-0594-4524-8458-CE936B4E8D01.jpeg

Nice rig and build

Are you planning to regear the axles for better highway rpms? with H151 and 4:11 gearing the engine is at higher rpms at highway speeds.

I wish you'd kept the cloth interior. It would bee more unique in your part of the world.

Love it!

I'm keeping everything stock for the mean time. After this huge of a project I'm a little out of gas to start doing mods like this! 😂

How does driving a part time diesel 100 compare to full time V8? Just curious

How does driving a part time diesel 100 compare to full time V8? Just curious

I've only driven a full time V8 a hand full of times. But a part time cruiser can be a pain in the ass in slippery/snowy conditions. The back end spins out and goes all over the place. As for diesel vs V8, they're quite a bit different. The V8 and 1FZ have pretty constant power/torque through the RPM band. The diesel's power/torque band is a bit more dynamic, though with the 3" exhaust and snorkel, the factory turbo spools up very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom