91 3FE to 2UZ Swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Updates on the build?

Strong work diving into that bird's nest of wiring.

That is why I like diesel swaps. 1 wire to run. Add a boost gauge and pyrometer and go....

Yes the wiring did take the longest to figure out.. every engine has its difficulties... I know nothing about diesels, so that would still be challenging for me..

Right now the truck is a part time daily. I'm waiting for parts to the front suspension (everything is delayed/back ordered)... the 37s hit everything on flex.... so I need to get that right before it sees any trail time...

Hopefully I get everything done over the winter and ready for next year..

Ok, I've made some progress on the truck...

I found good deal on some new wheels/tires via marketplace and picked up a truck load of Raceline Beadlocks...
20221119_112054.jpg

20221119_154838.jpg

I swapped out the BFGs and mounted the Coopers on the 80. This took me a minute move tire and wheels between rigs... but I ended up with very cool wheel/tire combo set on the 80

20221210_105841.jpg

I also got a new license plate :D

20221130_185440.jpg

Last edited:
Then I finally got my Delta Arms mounted. They were on 3 month lead-time but the company was good to keep me posted on the status on honest about the delays from the beginning..

I ordered their 3" Long arms to push the axle forward an inch to help clearance the 37s. The stock arms and 37s were rubbing everywhere I flexed. I need to do some testing and see how everything clears now. Hopefully I can some time this week.... :bounce:

20221212_154750 (2022-12-13T00_48_35.723).png

The Before Measurement:
20221212_160105.jpg

The After:
20221212_175053.jpg

It measures closer to 3/4" of an inch forward but I also need to drive and see if the arms/axle settle...

20221212_175144.jpg

The truck drives soo much better with the Delta Arms! :clap: I also added the rear panhard bracket and the truck feels much more stable.

With the 2uz and suspension changes the truck drives sooo good... sooo good! The Delta stuff worked really well for my setup, I recommend it.

For the pan hard adjustment, the bracket improved the angle and shifted the axle closer to center.... It really settled the rear axle.. it wasn't a huge issue but with the 2uz, you could feel a slight rear wander under power or taking a street bump at speed...

The next piece is swapping out the control arms...

20221228_120542.jpg

20221229_094738.jpg

Replacing my rear control arm is on the list.... but I have to address the Elephant in the truck.... my ARB lockers....

During my last trail run, my Arb lockers chit the bed.... The compressor was puking gear oil all over itselt.... sooo I have feeling this is going to domino effect in more repairs....

The Arb lockers/compressor were installed back in 2005 and have worked flawlessly!!! Soo I can't complain...

The truck is going back on jackstands...

Here it starts:
20221229_161212.jpg

20221229_172952.jpg

Next is pulling the 3rds.... lets see what we find.... :confused:

Thanks, much appreciated...

The Air Intake took a minute to figure out... I spent more time than I'd like to admit getting this together... I hacked up a number of boxes, plastics, couplers etc...

Right from the start, I knew I couldn't fit the "box" or "square" air filter in the 2uz into the 80. There isn't enough space with the battery box there.

SO I stuck with the 80 round filter (I kinda like it better)...

Zach also tossed in a tid bit to change the top hat to a 1fz style.. It can be cut down to a round interface vs the 3fe square interface... The boxes are the same, just easier to adapt...

View attachment 3046110

I started hacking up all pieces in my parts pile... 3fe intakes, LX intakes, anything 3" ish hose related and started piecing things together...

View attachment 3046107

In the end here's my final setup:

View attachment 3046106

The back side of the vacuum lines routing.. that also took a minute to get right..

View attachment 3046108
Great build mate. Is this the Fuel pressure reg vacuum line in this pic?
Would it need manifold vacuum to work properly, not too familiar with the 2UZ

Great build mate. Is this the Fuel pressure reg vacuum line in this pic?
Would it need manifold vacuum to work properly, not too familiar with the 2UZ

Thanks, much appreciated!

Yes that is the fuel reg vacuum line...
and
No, the 2uz only requires a vacuum from the intake tube..

Hope this helps!

to35c-l00010_l.jpg

So I got the rear locker working and moved on to the front axle... it kinda was a rush job to get it done for this past weekend's club meet..

20230210_161125.jpg

20230210_183449.jpg

Unfortunately, the front locker isn't right.. I put it back together and everything seemed to check out but it's not locking into gear.. gotta figure that out again... :confused:

I also took a few shots of my axles.. I've been running Chromolys for over 10 years and gotta be around 100k.... but I'm not see the wear regarding a "softer" metal axle? It's an AWD truck and always heard chromoly should should wear out.. granted maybe it's the threads?

20230211_123359.jpg

20230211_123619.jpg

20230211_125854.jpg

Last edited:
So I got the rear locker working and moved on to the front axle... it kinda was a rush job to get it done for this past weekend's club meet..

View attachment 3252431
View attachment 3252432

Unfortunately, the front locker isn't right.. I put it back together and everything seemed to check out but it's not locking into gear.. gotta figure that out again... :confused:

I also took a few shots of my axles.. I've been running Chromolys for over 10 years and gotta be around 100k.... but I'm not see the wear regarding a "softer" metal axle? It's an AWD truck and always heard chromoly should should wear out.. granted maybe it's the threads?

View attachment 3252433

View attachment 3252434

View attachment 3252435
I think it's the Birfields that wear faster ;)

Inside the cup is where my oem birf was pretty worn and I think the reason I broke a birf.
Yep, I also haven't heard any clicking or saw any major wear... I cleaned them out, regreased them, and put'em back on...

Next time I'll take a closer look at the cage..

Makes sense on that being a wear point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom