flat tow help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
where is the tech section to post a question?

I am trying to flat tow this vehicle behind my motorhome.
I have a 97 land cruiser 80 series, right hand drive that I just imported from Japan. I have done a 4" lift with Dobinsons springs and shocks, 37" tires on 17" rims, and all the other necessary adjustments to heights and lengths of various components to keep everything correct.
Installed front and rear driveshaft disconnects, as well as free wheeling front hubs as the front differential is limited slip, I have not done anything regarding the rear limited slip differential.

My problem is... I hook up my tow bar from the motorhome to the front of the land cruiser, the land cruiser follows behind just fine while going straight, when I make a right turn, the motorhome has 8* rear steer so It will swing out in the opposite depiction at the beginning of the turn, the land cruiser starts to follow to the left, following the rear swing of the motorhome, and the self corrects and turns right to follow through the rest of the right turn.
The problem is when I go to make a left turn the land cruiser starts to follow right, begins to straighten out and instead of following to the left, the steering goes full hard right.

what do you think can be causing this?

I live full time in my 43' motorhome. I have flat towed my FJ cruiser for several years.

I have a 97 land cruiser 80 series, right hand drive that I just imported from Japan. I have done a 4" lift with Dobinsons springs and shocks, 37" tires on 17" rims, and all the other necessary adjustments to heights and lengths of various components to keep everything correct.
Installed front and rear driveshaft disconnects, as well as free wheeling front hubs as the front differential is limited slip, I have not done anything regarding the rear limited slip differential.

My problem is... I hook up my tow bar from the motorhome to the front of the land cruiser, the land cruiser follows behind just fine while going straight, when I make a right turn, the motorhome has 8* rear steer so It will swing out in the opposite depiction at the beginning of the turn, the land cruiser starts to follow to the left, following the rear swing of the motorhome, and the self corrects and turns right to follow through the rest of the right turn.
The problem is when I go to make a left turn the land cruiser starts to follow right, begins to straighten out and instead of following to the left, the steering goes full hard right.

I live full time in my 43' motorhome. I have flat towed my FJ cruiser for several years.

UPDATE
I added 5* of forward caster and the flat towing issue is fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom