Motor Mounts - How long should I expect them to last? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you replace 1236150121 and 1237150081? Anything special to changing them out? Just support the motor with a padded jack under the oil pan?

Pro tip- only disconnect and replace one side at a time. Keep an eye on fan blade clearance at shroud as you raise motor.

Pro tip- only disconnect and replace one side at a time. Keep an eye on fan blade clearance at shroud as you raise motor.

Yep. I released the fan shroud and upper radiator hose to give plenty of clearance so the fan would not get damaged in the process.

To close my confusion or contribution to this thread with a couple of pictures from tonight's success.

Here's picture of using the 90 point 3/8 drive swivel head ratchet to tighten the mount center top nut. As shown in the picture, the AHC pipe is just in the way.

The swivel head made all the difference in being able to use a 6-point 17mm socket on the nut. I was also able to use a cheater pipe to get more leverage on the ratchet handle.

1589936236799.png

The Proto 3/8 drive 90 point swivel head ratchet J5250HTCF.

Stanley Proto Industrial Tools - Proto® 3/8 Drive Flex Head Precision 90 Pear Head Ratchet 13 [238979] [J5250HTCF] - $125.85 : Toolsource.com, Your professional tool authority! I will need to use this for a long time to recover the cost. Lower cost alternatives are available from Husky at Home Depot.

1589936520318.png

Here are my mounts on a 2004 LX with 160k miles. They are almost completely separated. It's an NM/AZ vehicle that has not been abused, so I think that climate has something to do with them drying out.

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

I ordered some crazy expensive Proto high point 3/8 drive online. I think I'm about to get ripped off. If I don't hear from them, I will just run over to Home Depot and pick up one of these 3/8 drive 100 position locking flex head ratchets.

View attachment 2311433
My woman looking over my shoulder asking what I'm planning on doing with a "100 position ratchet". Pled the fifth.

@OwnerCS With those AHC lines in the way, is that something that can be managed with a universal joint or do you truly need the flex head? I assume its going to be more torque required than a universal could comfortably apply?

My woman looking over my shoulder asking what I'm planning on doing with a "100 position ratchet". Pled the fifth.

@OwnerCS With those AHC lines in the way, is that something that can be managed with a universal joint or do you truly need the flex head? I assume its going to be more torque required than a universal could comfortably apply?
Try it and see how far you get. I can't recall if I got a u-joint to work or not. I have a lot of flex head wrenches by default.

I know this is an old thread but I am getting ready to do this myself. I assume you loosen all three mounts and then replace one side, then replace the other side and then tighten all of them back down?

I know this is an old thread but I am getting ready to do this myself. I assume you loosen all three mounts and then replace one side, then replace the other side and then tighten all of them back down?
Yep. Much easier to keep them aligned by replacing one side at a time.

Keeping one engine mount fixed will limit the how much the engine can lift- benefit of this keeps from running the fan blades into shroud and resulting damage.

Just did this. One side at a time. I loosened the trans mount so it could all move more freely. Loosening the fan shroud is recommended, otherwise you max out there.

Amazing the difference.

Just did this. One side at a time. I loosened the trans mount so it could all move more freely. Loosening the fan shroud is recommended, otherwise you max out there.

Amazing the difference.
Just be careful if you're lifting that high. @2001LC mentioned previously that the transmission wiring harness plug can be damaged due to contact with the transmission tunnel if it's jacked up too high.

Amazing the difference.
which one did you do this on? The one with 190k or the one with 278k? And what specifically did you notice? I get quite a bit of vibration at times when parked. Replacing the trans mount helped some, but I am thinking I need to do the engine mounts too.

which one did you do this on? The one with 190k or the one with 278k? And what specifically did you notice? I get quite a bit of vibration at times when parked. Replacing the trans mount helped some, but I am thinking I need to do the engine mounts too.
Did this on the TLC with 280k on it. Long overdue. Will probably do the LX later this year.

Far less vibration.

I would do these and do the front diff mounts too. Altogether a significant difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom