Purpose of Front Vent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

does anyone know where to get the pull handle? ( Edit: found out that its unobtanium for a 73 )
also... couldnt toyota have made the nut and bolt for the vent plate not any smaller? i broke the threads clean off...

Last edited:
It’s for looks only, welded shut with 4 tack welds.One vent was clear, the other blocked completely took a while to clear it. View attachment 3200991
Idk that your vent is welded shut. Maybe that’s a seam where it’s tacked? If that’s welded, it was tacked, then the whole thing painted over. But the surface rust doesn’t show that? It’d be tough to get 4 nice, clean tacks in that vent cavity.
Is your heater in place? Look up under the dash to see the mechanism for the cowl vent, guessing it’s just stiff and not actually welded?

Idk that your vent is welded shut. Maybe that’s a seam where it’s tacked? If that’s welded, it was tacked, then the whole thing painted over. But the surface rust doesn’t show that? It’d be tough to get 4 nice, clean tacks in that vent cavity.
Is your heater in place? Look up under the dash to see the mechanism for the cowl vent, guessing it’s just stiff and not actually welded?
I know in my 74 it is non-functional and was welded shut at the factory. It still has to drain, however, and those hoses. Expensive as hell. Here's my solution.

20220620_163246.jpg

It took a little doing to free up the mechanism so that the vent now operates. But, for some reason that I have yet to figure out, the vent is open when the knob is pushed in and closed when the knob is pulled out. This is opposite of the description in the Owner's Manual.

https://youtube.com/shorts/hkI8AnDk4WM? (Outside)

https://youtube.com/shorts/szK2AYAUOVE? (Inside)

View attachment 3206419
Mine is the same as you describe: pull knob to close airflow. Mine was also so poorly adjusted there was a big gap on one side with the other side tight. Makes for cold winter drives. (Fixed now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom