Sark's HZJ73 Adventures (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Day 2, Part 6:

@LDowney
IMG_9536.JPG
IMG_9537.JPG

And while we're posting updates, I got my project FJ60 to run and idle last night, after rebuilding the carb. Felt so good to hear it finally idle, after spending a lot of time and energy figuring out what needed to be cleaned or fixed. I did a victory lap around the yard, but took no pics... sorry.

Day 2, Part 2:
Your picture of the 1st rock garden on 11 appears to show the depth to this rock field and the size of the rocks better that it appeared in person. Nice work. Kudos

So you are a week into the new job(s), look like you are going to be happy?

So I need a new radiator...

I've been following an older post by @OGBeno to order a manual transmission radiator, instead of the automatic transmission radiator. Reason being the auto is NLA, but the manual version is not, and apparently the radiator assembly itself is the same. The difference, from what I saw, was that the manual does not include the cooler or cooler parts like the hoses, etc.

Automatic transmission radiator: 16400-17160 - again, NLA
Manual transmission radiator: 16400-17080

I ordered the manual version from Toyota, and twice now it has shown up with damaged fins. Are bent fins acceptable? Parts guy said the guys packaging/transporting these don't care, so do I accept the bent fins? Or are there other options (aftermarket)?

Can the dents in the fins be readily combed out with a fin comb? (i.e., the dents are effectively cosmetic with some TLC) Then be happy to have sourced a new radiator and press on. If not, the accept-reject discussion might be a lot more complicated.

Good luck. Pulling for an easy win for you

Can the dents in the fins be readily combed out with a fin comb? (i.e., the dents are effectively cosmetic with some TLC) Then be happy to have sourced a new radiator and press on. If not, the accept-reject discussion might be a lot more complicated.

Good luck. Pulling for an easy win for you
Fin comb… there’s an idea. Thanks, going to check on the damage today at lunch.

Radiator was acceptable, so I kept it, but I decided not to replace it at this time because the leak isn't really that bad and I still need to figure out the replacement for the transmission oil cooler.

The 73 is hibernating for now, playing "the floor is lava" with the New England salty roads. In the meantime, I wanted to make a maintenance spreadsheet to keep track of stuff. I made a template that's shareable, currently goes up to 360k miles, but can be expanded. Feel free to save a copy for your own use. Keep in mind it is specific to the 1HZ, and does not include manual transmission maintenance, since I have the A440. Easy add-on though if you need to.

Google drive

Radiator was acceptable, so I kept it, but I decided not to replace it at this time because the leak isn't really that bad and I still need to figure out the replacement for the transmission oil cooler.

The 73 is hibernating for now, playing "the floor is lava" with the New England salty roads. In the meantime, I wanted to make a maintenance spreadsheet to keep track of stuff. I made a template that's shareable, currently goes up to 360k miles, but can be expanded. Feel free to save a copy for your own use. Keep in mind it is specific to the 1HZ, and does not include manual transmission maintenance, since I have the A440. Easy add-on though if you need to.

Google drive

God salted your roads as punishment for your cheating football team.

;)

Been a minute.

IMG_0453.JPG

73 has been missing limbs in my garage for a while. Finally got it back together to drive again!

Started as a manual-hub conversion, which lead to that plus the following:

- Rebuilt front knuckles
- Brake lines
- Brake calipers
- Tie rods
- Valve adjustment
- Gutted some of the P/O's electrical wiring that wasn't in use.
Plus some maintenance items like fuel filter, LOF, checked diff fluids, etc. Still have other parts ready to go like glow plugs, injector rebuild parts, rear brake components, FRP window frames, etc. but I miss my cruiser.

Glad your 73 is out of the garage again to enjoy the summer weather.
I have not been as productive in caring for the 70. Rather just out playing in the woods. Last Saturday, met some friends from an easy day of sight seeing in the Talladaga NF. These friends are very into Rovers, so most of the invitees drove LRs. We did have two Toyotas.
Coming down for the 70 Series Meet-n-Greet?

_X0I1149.jpg
_X0I1268.jpg

I even was lucky enough to have our youngest daughter along for the day (in this modern world, they even let medical resident have a day off here and there ... lol)
_X0I1269.jpg
_X0I1282.jpg
_X0I1288.jpg

Looks like we have been doing some of the same work. I am in the middle of a manual hub conversion and knuckle rebuild myself. I have been staring at the contrast in the new parts from the manual hub rebuild and then looking at my old brake disks/calipers/lines. Maybe I should replace those while it is apart? Where did you source your brake lines and calipers. Did you do a steel flexible line conversion? Did you stick with the stock calipers?

Thanks for the help,

Sean

Looks like we have been doing some of the same work. I am in the middle of a manual hub conversion and knuckle rebuild myself. I have been staring at the contrast in the new parts from the manual hub rebuild and then looking at my old brake disks/calipers/lines. Maybe I should replace those while it is apart? Where did you source your brake lines and calipers. Did you do a steel flexible line conversion? Did you stick with the stock calipers?

Thanks for the help,

Sean
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the questions, happy to help. The non-hub conversion parts I swapped out during that process were split between "needs replacement" and "while I'm in there". If there is no issue with the parts and they don't appear to about to be an issue, you can definitely replace them later. Specifically the brake components. If you want to though, it's a good time while you're in that area. Otherwise just do the hub conversion and focus one mini-project at a time.

I got my brake lines and calipers OEM, which I don't regret, but they were not cheap. Others have gone with older 4Runner calipers or aftermarket, which makes sense. The aftermarket calipers are less than $100 and the oem were over $400. I actually went with a rebuild kit first, then realized how impossible that would be to be done reliably by myself, and just ordered new calipers altogether. I am often skeptical of aftermarket fitment, and just opt for the oem part number so I don't have to worry about it. Probably not the best path to follow all the time though. The more experienced cruiser guys know how to toe that line better.

Cruiser Outfitters and Amayama are my main suppliers, and I just got aquainted with Dave at Japan4x4 as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom