Builds Mr. Torgue's 2010 GX460 build (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Geezz, your GX looks like it can fit in the bed of that thing!
But nothing beats having a truck as a second vehicle!

Geezz, your GX looks like it can fit in the bed of that thing!
But nothing beats having a truck as a second vehicle!
Right?

Reactions: r2m
At just over 159k miles the factory alternator has a bad diode and needs replacement. Not looking forward to the bill but at least the clock can start over until the next replacement.

Last edited:
  • Sad
New alternator and Optima red top battery in.

Unfortunately I have an annoying belt squeak I cannot seem to diagnose. I guess it’s either a tensioner / pulley or the A/C compressor? The belt is new so it isn’t that. Don’t think it’s coolant on the belt or pulleys because we’ve had a ton of rain so it should of been washed off seeing as how I don’t have splash guards LOL.

Here’s a video. I turned the steering wheel in the video so there’s a change in RPMs. Thoughts on what it could be? It’s very annoying...

• Sad
It's probably your tensioner. To be sure, pop the hood, put a piece of hose/tubing next to your ear, and probe around with the other end near possible sources until you find the source of the squeak. If the tensioner was kind of weak to begin with, a new belt may have pushed it over the edge.

Torgue, Did you go with a high amp alternator?

It's probably your tensioner. To be sure, pop the hood, put a piece of hose/tubing next to your ear, and probe around with the other end near possible sources until you find the source of the squeak. If the tensioner was kind of weak to begin with, a new belt may have pushed it over the edge.

Lemme guess, that’s also a radiator out job? **** me... It’s starting to cost more money that I want to spend. I’m already over $5k in the last month or so.

Torgue, Did you go with a high amp alternator?

No, straight OEM replacement.

Lemme guess, that’s also a radiator out job? f*** me... It’s starting to cost more money that I want to spend. I’m already over $5k in the last month or so.

Not sure on the 460. I'm guessing you might need to remove the fan to get to the tensioner, but I'm not sure. I would be pretty suprised if the radiator has to come out but I have not worked on a 150-platform vehicle before :).

On every other vehicle I've replaced a tensioner on it's usually a 30-60 minute job and very easy as a DIY.

Lemme guess, that’s also a radiator out job? f*** me... It’s starting to cost more money that I want to spend. I’m already over $5k in the last month or so.

Not sure if these may help if you're looking at doing it yourself:

Ok so the squeak is coming from the top left part of the engine when facing it. That’s the tensioner I believe. Ugh. There’s very little accessories left that’s original factory in there at this point. LOL While the fan and shroud are off I should maybe replace the fan clutch and look at the water pump weep hole for excessive coolant leakage (won’t be, no coolant is being lost).

Anything else I should look at while the fan and shroud are off?

Just heard back from my dealer and they really do me some favors on pricing. It’ll be $200 even to replace the tensioner. It’s about a $95 part not on sale if you buy from the parts counter. So I’ll get that done in January when I get my oil change and diff service done. The part that concerns me is when the water pump will let go... I hope I have a few years left of it not leaking.

Owning a Lexus is pretty good when most of the parts are Toyota parts for Toyota vehicles. Champaign taste on a beer budget indeed.

Just heard back from my dealer and they really do me some favors on pricing. It’ll be $200 even to replace the tensioner. It’s about a $95 part not on sale if you buy from the parts counter. So I’ll get that done in January when I get my oil change and diff service done. The part that concerns me is when the water pump will let go... I hope I have a few years left of it not leaking.

Owning a Lexus is pretty good when most of the parts are Toyota parts for Toyota vehicles. Champaign taste on a beer budget indeed.
Any reason for not adding the water pump also, just for piece of mind?

Any reason for not adding the water pump also, just for piece of mind?
Cost mostly. I’m digging too deep in my savings. I’m accumulating money to buy property in Idaho and so far having almost $6k taken out this year from it for this GX has made me a bit sour. LOL

Milestone.

22C67E13-F13D-47F7-BFE4-051D92856342.jpeg

How are the brakes?
The Power Stops I installed are absolutely fantastic. Stops on dime and they don't expel any brake dust. Plus I haven't experienced an fade at all.

The Power Stops I installed are absolutely fantastic. Stops on dime and they don't expel any brake dust. Plus I haven't experienced an fade at all.
How many miles on those brakes now??

Ok so the squeak is coming from the top left part of the engine when facing it. That’s the tensioner I believe. Ugh. There’s very little accessories left that’s original factory in there at this point. LOL While the fan and shroud are off I should maybe replace the fan clutch and look at the water pump weep hole for excessive coolant leakage (won’t be, no coolant is being lost).

Anything else I should look at while the fan and shroud are off?
Should check any idler pulleys (I would probably just replace them while you're at it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom