SOLD Issaquah, WA (Seattle Area) - 1988 Toyota BJ70 - Not running (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the terse wording below - I'm copy/pasting my Craigslist ad. We all know you have to talk to people like they're children there.

Album of more photos: Imgur Album - BJ70

Asking $15k, OBO - If I don't get takers, I'm going to start parting it out. I'd rather sell it whole: I don't want to spend my time wrenching on it.

The truck is not running. You will need a trailer or flatbed.
No trades. No shipping unless YOU organize it. I recommend uship.com for stuff like that.

Please make me an offer.

This will be a killer platform for a Cummins Diesel or LS1 engine swap. It would be an insane short wheelbase rock crawler. It was already extremely capable in its current condition - upgrading this would turn it into am absolute Jeep Killer.

103k miles (~166km on the odometer)
Clean title. Imported from Japan via Surrey, BC in 2015.

The Good
- Brand new Old Man Emu 3" lift kit: new springs, shocks, and steering dampener - 2 months old ($2200 + installation)
- Onboard compressor & tank
- ARB Rear Locker
- Clean interior
- PTO Winch
- No body or frame cancer/rust. Light surface rust on left side, stabilized with zinc clear coat.

The Bad
Per above, the 3.4L 3B diesel engine is dead. It left me stranded last night, I'm done. I have not diagnosed it, nor do I plan to. It will not turn over.

The Ugly (but not too bad)
- There are trail dents on the left side from off-roading.
- The rear window rails are rusty, but are modular and can be replaced.
- Ansin locking hubs need new seals. I have the kit and will provide it.

No trades.

PXL_20221218_191624267.jpg

PXL_20221218_191619173.jpg

PXL_20221218_191527525.jpg

PXL_20221218_191735939.jpg

PXL_20221218_191811953.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
It's not running. I think the engine is grenaded.

Guess I should look at other rollers to see.
Even if the engine is toast, that’s really cheap. If I didn’t have a 3b project going already, I’d be buying this. You may want to make sure it’s actually dead before you jump to the worst case scenario. If the engine spins and there’s no metal shavings in the oil it may not b as bad as you think. It’s pretty difficult to kill a 3B

Even if the engine is toast, that’s really cheap. If I didn’t have a 3b project going already, I’d be buying this. You may want to make sure it’s actually dead before you jump to the worst case scenario. If the engine spins and there’s no metal shavings in the oil it may not b as bad as you think. It’s pretty difficult to kill a 3B
Engine is not spinning. I think timing or bearing went. It's seized.

Thanks for the tip. Upped to 15k obo.

Pulled the slider plates and put a socket on it. It's frozen solid.

Wow, that’s cheap
Short wheel base, dented body, right hand drive and a blown engine. 🤷‍♂️😝

I see you have a interest in keep the price of these high but come on

Short wheel base, dented body, right hand drive and a blown engine. 🤷‍♂️😝

I see you have a interest in keep the price of these high but come on
Make an offer, man! I'm interested in selling it. You seem to be interested in stirring mud.

Cheers!

Make an offer, man! I'm interested in selling it. You seem to be interested in stirring mud.

Cheers!
If it was a med wheel base LHD I would be all over it, already saw you ad on CL :cool:

Make sure to
Pulled the slider plates and put a socket on it. It's frozen solid.
Make sure to remove the belts when you do that test.

I've had two cars surprise me greatly with this. Totally seized up, wouldn't even budge at all, not even a millimeter. I was convinced the engine was locked up. I cut the belts, and the engine turned smoothly. It was the alternator locked up with the belt stretched insanely tight.

Not saying this is your issue, but it's worth checking.

Make sure to

Make sure to remove the belts when you do that test.

I've had two cars surprise me greatly with this. Totally seized up, wouldn't even budge at all, not even a millimeter. I was convinced the engine was locked up. I cut the belts, and the engine turned smoothly. It was the alternator locked up with the belt stretched insanely tight.

Not saying this is your issue, but it's worth checking.

Excellent advice. I don't think this is the issue based on how it sounded when it stopped, but I'll make 100% certain. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a 3b available from an 85 Japan market bj70 if you're looking for a replacement. Also have two other 3bs as well, one from 84 Canadian bj60 and an 89 European bj75. I am located in Alabama and just shipped an engine from Seattle to here for about $500. Engines range from 3k to 6500. PM if interested.

Last edited:
I have a 3b available from an 85 Japan market bj70 if you're looking for a replacement. Also have two other 3bs as well, one from 84 Canadian bj60 and an 89 European bj75. I am located in Alabama and just shipped an engine from Seattle to here for about $500. Engines range from 3k to 6500. PM if interested.
Thanks. I have a couple interested people locally in the truck. If nothing pans out, I'll circle back to you. Frankly, I'd prefer a factory turbo'd engine like a 13BT or similar, were I to do a swap.

Thanks. I have a couple interested people locally in the truck. If nothing pans out, I'll circle back to you. Frankly, I'd prefer a factory turbo'd engine like a 13BT or similar, were I to do a swap.

Wouldn't we all lol. I simply present my offerings because it's alot easier to sell a running truck as opposed to a yard ornament.

Sorry for the terse wording below - I'm copy/pasting my Craigslist ad. We all know you have to talk to people like they're children there.

Album of more photos: Imgur Album - BJ70

Asking $15k, OBO - If I don't get takers, I'm going to start parting it out. I'd rather sell it whole: I don't want to spend my time wrenching on it.

The truck is not running. You will need a trailer or flatbed.
No trades. No shipping unless YOU organize it. I recommend uship.com for stuff like that.

Please make me an offer.

This will be a killer platform for a Cummins Diesel or LS1 engine swap. It would be an insane short wheelbase rock crawler. It was already extremely capable in its current condition - upgrading this would turn it into am absolute Jeep Killer.

103k miles (~166km on the odometer)
Clean title. Imported from Japan via Surrey, BC in 2015.

The Good
- Brand new Old Man Emu 3" lift kit: new springs, shocks, and steering dampener - 2 months old ($2200 + installation)
- Onboard compressor & tank
- ARB Rear Locker
- Clean interior
- PTO Winch
- No body or frame cancer/rust. Light surface rust on left side, stabilized with zinc clear coat.

The Bad
Per above, the 3.4L 3B diesel engine is dead. It left me stranded last night, I'm done. I have not diagnosed it, nor do I plan to. It will not turn over.

The Ugly (but not too bad)
- There are trail dents on the left side from off-roading.
- The rear window rails are rusty, but are modular and can be replaced.
- Ansin locking hubs need new seals. I have the kit and will provide it.

No trades.

View attachment 3196646

View attachment 3196647

View attachment 3196648

View attachment 3196649

View attachment 3196650
What's the interior look like? Might be interested in a few bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom