Anyone have Old Air 400 Unit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skreddy

SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking for some answers on specifically this unit; not who’s is better, references to a unit no longer produced, a different style, etc.

So, Old Air 400HCD is a under dash version, similar to the Vintage Air slimline series. I’m looking at this because I’m debating on AC in my 1970 FJ40 and I don’t like the look of the newest version VA kit with the 5 round louvers. The VA Slimline is about 2” taller than the OA unit. The OA has floor heat that comes on when the defrost is selected, the VA doesn’t have floor heat but can T off the defrost hose and add floor ducts. Those are the 3 reasons I’m considering the OA 400.
The questions I have about this specific unit are;
How’d it fit?
How well does it work?
How does it work? They said there’s 2 knobs and a pull cable but the pic is poor at showing this.

They don’t offer a mock-up case for this unit to see fit or how it operates before buying the whole kit.

E95A76E9-166C-4DB1-8F85-4D314A87C8B0.jpeg

I do. It was installed by dealers in Dallas as an option.

I have it on the shelf.I’ll try to get some pictures. It cooled well the weakness was in the old lines that had barb fittings,they leaked. We were doing a lot of work on the 1982 and removed it to do the work.We never got around to putting it back in.If I were installing it again (I doubt) I would just replace all lines with newer compression fittings.It really did cool well.

I have it on the shelf.I’ll try to get some pictures. It cooled well the weakness was in the old lines that had barb fittings,they leaked. We were doing a lot of work on the 1982 and removed it to do the work.We never got around to putting it back in.If I were installing it again (I doubt) I would just replace all lines with newer compression fittings.It really did cool well.
Gotcha, thanks.

I have an old air unit in a '56 dodge pick up hot rod. Very happy with the quality and customer support. Blows cold on the hotest days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom