Melted White/Blue wire solve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for this!

Stumped and don’t want to end up with melted wires.
Please see below. @Coolerman, @Hoperichb, @Pin_Head
All 3 of my white/blue wires go into engine bay and masked into a single white/blue…that goes nowhere.
Dash ammeter does not work.
Any help would be appreciated.

7D45CB23-DAA6-4E45-A575-DD06EA29164B.jpeg

Stumped and don’t want to end up with melted wires.
Please see below. @Coolerman, @Hoperichb, @Pin_Head
All 3 of my white/blue wires go into engine bay and masked into a single white/blue…that goes nowhere.
Dash ammeter does not work.
Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 3202242

please elaborate and add photos of this statement , " its a bit confusing to understand and NOT shown in your photos ?

All 3 of my white/blue wires go into engine bay and masked into a single white/blue…that goes nowhere

thanks

\

There isn’t enough information to make a guess.
More pictures.
What year?
There is a lot of non-stock wiring in there which isn’t going to help people figure it out without knowing what it does and where it goes.

The 3 into 1 just looks like a messy splice. Looks like the w/b wire coming from the battery splices to the main power w/b and to the alternator w/b would be my guess. You should get a fuseable link from coolerman. You shouldn’t have that blue crimp splice that is in there. The fused lines are the leads to the ammeter.

1672163342387.jpeg

All good suggestions.
1978 FJ55 with 350 Chevy
Wires all seem to match color codes, however as you can see there are some pretty messy ones and many that aren’t not connected.

@MOTOV8R I think your are right, however the only wire that goes to the alternator is a red one connected to the battery.

Hope this illustration will help more than pictures of wires everywhere.

FF1CE36E-26F6-426F-A8B0-A52509831CF1.jpeg

Are you running a gm alternator with a internal regulator? Post a pic of it with the connections.

I'm not familiar with 55 wiring but a lot looks similar to s 40's. The w/blue wire that goes no where was most likely the charge wire to the stk alt. It's hot. Running a wire from the alt to that battery eliminates its use and most likely eliminates the possibility of a meltdown. Your lighter gauge wire could be the fusible link. I think It's supposed to be 2 gauges smaller.
Are you having a problem with the charging system?

Last edited:
I forgot. The ammeter won't work. The alt to batt wire bypasses it. I kept the gauge in my cluster and connected the 2 wires together, so no power went thru the ammeter. I used the blk wire on the alt plug for an idiot light.

I forgot. The ammeter won't work. The alt to batt wire bypasses it. I kept the gauge in my cluster and connected the 2 wires together, so no power went thru the ammeter. I used the blk wire on the alt plug for an idiot light.
Thanks @pb4ugo
Appreciate the heads up and information!
Looks like I still need to get hold of @Coolerman to get things cleaned up a bit.

The cut end of the white/blue wire normally would connect to the B+ lug of the alternator. That way, your amp meter would indicate charging. The way it is set up now, it should only indicate discharge although the battery is actually charging (unless you disconnected the amp meter wires under the dash).

If someone accidentally installed a battery backwards, it would burn up your red alternator wire because it is not fused and it could start a fire.

All good suggestions.
1978 FJ55 with 350 Chevy
Wires all seem to match color codes, however as you can see there are some pretty messy ones and many that aren’t not connected.

@MOTOV8R I think your are right, however the only wire that goes to the alternator is a red one connected to the battery.

Hope this illustration will help more than pictures of wires everywhere.

View attachment 3202979
the W/B wire should be coming out of the black plug. I couldn’t tell from your picture and thought it was. The ammeter needs to read the amperage in series (2 pts on the same wire). The blue splice wire is supposed to be your fusible link. As it is wired now all the power is going through the ammeter w/b wire (too small a guage and is not fused). Mine had the same hack done to it before i replaced it.

Pic of cruiserman fusible link in my 79 40 (redoing wiring)

image.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom