Builds 1977 FJ40 - USA Spec Restoration - Father & Son Project - AKA "Belle" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I forget, do you have a lift on the 40? I agree they look a little big but I do like the idea of going a little bigger than 31s which is about what I have.

I say you get the 16" rims and then determine which one gets the 16s and which one gets the 15s. I'm not as much a fan of the 60 series rims on either.
Just my 2cents.

I forget, do you have a lift on the 40? I agree they look a little big but I do like the idea of going a little bigger than 31s which is about what I have.

I say you get the 16" rims and then determine which one gets the 16s and which one gets the 15s. I'm not as much a fan of the 60 series rims on either.
Just my 2cents.
I have longer shackles which give me about two inches of lift

Last edited:
What do you guys think about this 16 inch steelies? They are a little pricey. Is there any advantage to 16's other than more tire options?

Everyone who has purchased the 16” Steelies from CityRacer loves them. Never heard a negative review.

Everyone who has purchased the 16” Steelies from CityRacer loves them. Never heard a negative review.
I was seriously considering ordering these untill I saw shipping was $455. That is ridiculous.

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 3.19.06 PM.png

Moving ahead slowly. Still need to paint the hood and windshield frame, then hook up the wiring and I am sure about 1000 little things, but she is getting close :)

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4689.jpg

Last edited:
I normally don't make a big deal about naming my vehicles, so it is no surprise to me that it took 4 years to name this FJ40. I usually let my cars tell me their names when they are ready.

My FJ55 let me know right away that his name was “Winchester Buckshot III” in the first couple weeks I had him. We call him “Bucky” but there is already a well known and loved FJ55 here on the forum named Bucky, so on the tread he is known as Buckshot, but around here, we call him Bucky! See the story here.

1970 FJ55 - AKA "Buckshot" - Father & Son Build Project #2 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1970-fj55-aka-buckshot-father-son-build-project-2.1245014/page-4

So, this girl finally let me know her name… “Belle”. I didn’t even know she was a girl until my daughter told me. My daughter was looking at her one day and said, she is like beauty and Buckshot is the beast. Once she said that, I knew right away, and it just fit… “Belle”. The blue and white just fits.

Last edited:
I got Belle out today for a trip around the neighborhood. without the muffler she sounds like a dragster.

Haven't been able to get much work done on the FJ40 or FJ55 lately, but got a ton done on my son's Sequoia. Got to keep the boy safe and in style! I love the way the first gens look!!

- 2.5 inch lift and New Strut Assembles (don't hate me for not using OEM parts)
- New 255/80/17 Toyo All Terrain Tires
- Apple Car Play with Back up camera
- Blaupunkt 8 inch Sub
- New brakes (definitely needed it)

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Last edited:
I think your son watching you go down the driveway then down the street was like "man, he's coming back right?" :rofl:
i'm not sure why the Son was not the one to drive this thing for the first time--???

Painted a few more pieces and bolted on the windshield hinges, fenders, aprons, and front grill. I got a quote on a wildshield for the FJ40 and the FJ55 so I ordered both. They should be here in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to have the guy put both of them in when he comes. I'll take pics an post when he comes... probably make a video of it. I hope to post an updated video on my progress tonight.

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Last edited:
I am still looking for the female plug that goes on the wire harness.

Sent three DMs to Coolerman and he has not responeded. I just tried emailing him at fj40coolerman@gmail.com. Maybe that will work.

I also reached out to Toyota Matt

Any suggetions on where to get these?

IMG_4550.jpg

Last edited:
I am still looking for the female plug that goes on the wire harness.

Sent three DMs to Coolerman and he has not responeded. I just tried emailing him at fj40coolerman@gmail.com. Maybe that will work.

I also reached out to Toyota Matt

Any suggetions on where to get these?
E-mail Mark - aka Coolerman is the best way to reach him. I just had him do some things for me. He's busy, so give him a few days to respond

Toyota Matt sent me this. Sounds like a good option so I think this is what I will do.

Thanks Toyota Matt

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
those particular FEMALE harness side connector plugs have NEVER been a available service part for some reason ?

- i have a recommended option for you that allows you to update and upgrade to a 5 wires set up using a 6 pin water proof o-rings sealed housings this gives you the additional 5the needed ground circuit dedicated wire and this is a priceless simple upgrade way path forward.

90980-1_2048x.jpg
DSCN2670_480x480.jpg

Last edited:
E-mail Mark - aka Coolerman is the best way to reach him. I just had him do some things for me. He's busy, so give him a few days to respond

You were right. Email is the best. He emailed me right back and is super helpful!

Apparently, this 4 wire plug was not used very long by Toyota (only 8/76-1/79). It was not a good design because it relied on a ground from the light housing (which was problematic) and nobody makes replacement plugs.

So, I’m going to upgrade to a later year model 6 wire plug, replace both male and female sides, and add a ground wire. I like keeping it OEM Toyota and making a upgrade in the process.

I love this forum. You guys are so helpful. I couldn’t do it without your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom