How to replace rear springs? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I may need to replace just the springs - how easy is it? I have heard the horror stories about removing rear shocks so I'm wondering if I have to remove shocks to get the springs off/in?

It's not too bad. You just have to remove the rear tire(s), then support the rear axle, and unbolt the BOTTOM shock mount. You can leave the top of the shock attached (which is the one that is notoriously difficult to get off). With the bottom disconnected, you can lower the rear axle (I found it easy to support it with the bottle jack in the first place, and then just use it to gently lower the axle until the springs were easy to remove by hand.) Should keep a close eye on your brake lines/breathers so that you don't tear those when lowering the rear axle.

Well the horror stories on the rear shock are pretty silly in my opinion, but since you are not completely removing the shocks it's much easier for you. Like sonk said watch all the lines attached to the axle. I unbolted most the hangers just to be safe.

It also helps a little to have two people. One to push the axle down and another to pull the spring out of the seat. If you are alone, you might be able to push the axle down with your foot as you pull the spring out.

Well the horror stories on the rear shock are pretty silly in my opinion, but since you are not completely removing the shocks it's much easier for you. Like sonk said watch all the lines attached to the axle. I unbolted most the hangers just to be safe.

It also helps a little to have two people. One to push the axle down and another to pull the spring out of the seat. If you are alone, you might be able to push the axle down with your foot as you pull the spring out.

I second the part about the rear shocks. A swivel head gear wrench, some pb blaster, and a chain pipe wrench were all it took to remove the rear shocks (with no drilling). I wouldn't suggest using the chain pipe wrench however, if you plan on re-installing the same shocks as it tends to damage them. Toyota really should have put some sort of wrenchable surface on the shock bolt, like the OME's have.

I know this is a very old post, but I just changed out my springs on my '05 LX470 w/ AHC to King Springs yesterday. My biggest issue was jacking the frame high enough to get the wheels off the ground. Next time, I'll just jack the axle up like I would to change the tires and place the jack stands under the frame and then remove the tires. I ended up removing the tires anyway. I strongly suggest unbolting the swaybar from the hanger on both sides like LandCruiserPhil mentioned. The sway bar will just rotate down and out of the way. I supported the axle on the side I was working on with a floor jack. I then unbolted the bottom of the shock and used a prybar and a 1.5# hammer to very lightly encourage it off the mounting stud. As I lowered the axle slowly, I kept watching the lines connected to the axle. The brake and breather lines did start to get tight, so I unbolted them from the frame. I think they probably would have been fine, but the extra 30 seconds was just smart insurance. Once the axle was hanging, the spring popped right out and the new one went right back in. Next, jack up the axle, put the shock back on the stud and retighten bolt. Move to next side, repeat. Once both sides are done, reattach the sway bar to the hangers, put the tires back on and done. I lowered my AHC pressures from double digits to 6.2. I still plan on adding drawers, so it may bring the pressures back up past normal. If that is the case, I'll try a spacer.

I know this is a very old post, but I just changed out my springs on my '05 LX470 w/ AHC to King Springs yesterday. My biggest issue was jacking the frame high enough to get the wheels off the ground. Next time, I'll just jack the axle up like I would to change the tires and place the jack stands under the frame and then remove the tires. I ended up removing the tires anyway. I strongly suggest unbolting the swaybar from the hanger on both sides like LandCruiserPhil mentioned. The sway bar will just rotate down and out of the way. I supported the axle on the side I was working on with a floor jack. I then unbolted the bottom of the shock and used a prybar and a 1.5# hammer to very lightly encourage it off the mounting stud. As I lowered the axle slowly, I kept watching the lines connected to the axle. The brake and breather lines did start to get tight, so I unbolted them from the frame. I think they probably would have been fine, but the extra 30 seconds was just smart insurance. Once the axle was hanging, the spring popped right out and the new one went right back in. Next, jack up the axle, put the shock back on the stud and retighten bolt. Move to next side, repeat. Once both sides are done, reattach the sway bar to the hangers, put the tires back on and done. I lowered my AHC pressures from double digits to 6.2. I still plan on adding drawers, so it may bring the pressures back up past normal. If that is the case, I'll try a spacer.
Look like you forgot to reattach breather and brake hoses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom