What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (54 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Copied my combo switch for @davework. FJ60 on the left, late model firstgen 4Runner on the right. Adds cruise control accel/coast and intermittent wipers. All it needs is to be cleaned up, new dry transfer decals added from @63FST , clear coated with satin clear, and they’ll look brand spanking new. I used a dash on/off switch for my cruise from a Corolla, I think he’s got one from a celica. Got to figure out the wiring for his celecia switch next

View attachment 3192371
Oh wow, I was wondering if this was possible. I sometimes remember my old 86 Camry and the things that were more modern than my 88 Land Cruiser. Like intermittent wipers.

Yeah man, its really for trucks that run a GM computer for a ls swap. I dont think you could add cruise to a carbed fj60 very easily unless you used some vacuum actuated thing.

I havent ever tried, but since the FJ62 is fuel injected, dakota digital makes an aftermarket cruise that you could potentially use to add cruise. Youd have to convert your speed signal to digital with a VSS converter from marlin crawler to use it. Once you did that, you could run the toyota controls to control it and just use relays since the toyota stuff uses ground activation. Youd have to use a digital speedometer if you did that since the Marlin VSS goes into the Tcase where your speedometer cable goes.

Heres a link to add cruise to a LS swapped 60, theres a lot of overlap that you could use on the Dakota digital cruise unit.
I have a complete vacuum & cable actuated Dana cruise control system that I took off my truck if anyone wants it. No clue if it works, but as I was pulling it off it was pretty interesting to see how it all works. There’s a magnet on the driveshaft with a magnetic sensor mounted to the bottom of the cab, a computer, vacuum piping, and finally a cable attached to the carb. The cable is similar to the choke cable except it is hooked to the throttle linkage. Inside the cab is a small control box. It’s definitely an 80s period piece!

Oh wow, I was wondering if this was possible. I sometimes remember my old 86 Camry and the things that were more modern than my 88 Land Cruiser. Like intermittent wipers.

You can add intermittent wipers to your 60 really easily, its how i got the idea for the cruise control stalks. The late 1980s 4runner and pickup stalk can be moved over to the fj60 combo switch and you can just add the intermittent wipers. The wire colors are all the same in the blue connector thing, you just depin and repin. Theres a little trimming involved too but its just plastic. If you want you can pm me. Just make sure you get the combo switch with the translucent black cover on the back as its got a capacitor and relay in the stalk itself. The earlier trucks and 4runners used an external control box.

This was like the first mod i did to my fj60 back in the day heres a link (not mine):

I have a complete vacuum & cable actuated Dana cruise control system that I took off my truck if anyone wants it. No clue if it works, but as I was pulling it off it was pretty interesting to see how it all works. There’s a magnet on the driveshaft with a magnetic sensor mounted to the bottom of the cab, a computer, vacuum piping, and finally a cable attached to the carb. The cable is similar to the choke cable except it is hooked to the throttle linkage. Inside the cab is a small control box. It’s definitely an 80s period piece!

My old firstgen 4runner had something similar, except the box was huge in the engine bay. I could never get it to work. I am unsure of the brand but it was a dealer add on.

Yeah man, its really for trucks that run a GM computer for a ls swap. I dont think you could add cruise to a carbed fj60 very easily unless you used some vacuum actuated thing.

I havent ever tried, but since the FJ62 is fuel injected, dakota digital makes an aftermarket cruise that you could potentially use to add cruise. Youd have to convert your speed signal to digital with a VSS converter from marlin crawler to use it. Once you did that, you could run the toyota controls to control it and just use relays since the toyota stuff uses ground activation. Youd have to use a digital speedometer if you did that since the Marlin VSS goes into the Tcase where your speedometer cable goes.

Heres a link to add cruise to a LS swapped 60, theres a lot of overlap that you could use on the Dakota digital cruise unit.
Thanks for the info. I'm switching to Speedhut gauges, so I'll look into it!

My air conditioner hasn’t been that cool lately, with not much air coming through the vents. Due to no one being available until the new year to look at it I decided to have a pome around…. First, I replaced the viscous fan hub with a new Terrain Tamer one. I can notice more air blowing under the bonnet with the new hub fitted. Next, I removed the windscreen washers and replaced them with garden reticulation sprayers facing the condenser… finally, I removed a section under the dash that I had previously cut out to gain access to the cooling core (unsure of its name) . This was pretty much totally clogged up. I cleaned it as much as I could… with upholstery foam and truck wash, and then swapped the fittings around on my garden blower to try to suck as much out as I could…. Will see if there is a difference once the adhesive dries…

896C5CF3-512D-45DB-8FEC-4675D9CF35FF.jpeg

7ED74434-83E3-402E-ADBC-BDA2B342A86D.jpeg

12EAB1C9-5D6F-4334-9181-50ACBF059A45.jpeg

E3A8DA32-98E5-495E-B71D-479BA8A4BC74.jpeg

Came back from a recent solo trip to Death Valley with a list of small things to address on the 60 and knocked some of those out over the holiday.

One of many cold nights crossing Death Valley...in this case on the trail to Tucki Mine
dvsolo.jpeg

Added tie downs to the rear (hopefully my fridge and other stuff will be more likely to say in place on the next trip). This style allows me to remove the hooks and maintain a flat sleeping surface if needed.
tiedowns.jpeg

New seals on the hatch and tailgate...after noticing a significant draft during the night. Went with the aftermarket bits from @cruiseroutfit
newseals.jpeg

Speedometer correction adapter after finally stumbling across this thread. Thanks to @biomax who recommended Commercial Speedometer Service in Sacramento...those guys are amazing...highly recommended. It is also a fun novelty to have accurate speedometer readings. I actually saw the truck hit 70 the other day (downhill, naturally) and look forward to better gas mileage (at least uncorrected)
speedocorrection.jpeg

Last edited:
Came back from a recent solo trip to Death Valley with a list of small things to address on the 60 and knocked some of those out over the holiday.

One of many cold nights crossing Death Valley...in this case on the trial to Tucki Mine
dvsolo.jpeg

Added tie downs to the rear (hopefully my fridge and other stuff will be more likely to say in place on the next trip). This style allows me to remove the hooks and maintain a flat sleeping surface if needed.
tiedowns.jpeg

New seals on the hatch and tailgate...after noticing a significant draft during the night. Went with the aftermarket bits from @cruiseroutfit
newseals.jpeg

Speedometer correction adapter after finally stumbling across this thread. Thanks to @biomax who recommended Commercial Speedometer Service in Sacramento...those guys are amazing...highly recommended. It is also a fun novelty to have accurate speedometer readings. I actually saw the truck hit 70 the other day (downhill, naturally) and look forward to better gas mileage (at least uncorrected)
speedocorrection.jpeg
I was looking for a marks Speedo corrector that is similar, was it very involved ordering this one? The marks one has to come from Australia

I was looking for a marks Speedo corrector that is similar, was it very involved ordering this one? The marks one has to come from Australia
Super easy to work with these guys perhaps aside from having to call and talk to an actual human. Tell them about your truck and what level of correction you want and they'll assemble an adapter for you. I have 33” tires so went with 1.155 as recommended in the thread linked above (which also has their phone number). They built and shipped the day I called. Since I’m in San Diego, I received the package a day later. Can’t really beat that!

Randomly looking at a GPS through various speeds showed spot on accuracy. So, 5 minutes on the phone, a day or so of shipping, and 10 minutes to install. Should have done this years ago!

Super easy to work with these guys perhaps aside from having to call and talk to an actual human. Tell them about your truck and what level of correction you want and they'll assemble an adapter for you. I have 33” tires so went with 1.155 as recommended in the thread linked above (which also has their phone number). They built and shipped the day I called. Since I’m in San Diego, I received the package a day later. Can’t really beat that!

Randomly looking at a GPS through various speeds showed spot on accuracy. So, 5 minutes on the phone, a day or so of shipping, and 10 minutes to install. Should have done this years ago!
dang that sounds great. This is definitely on my short list. I can get accurate speed through my GM computer but would be nice to lookat my speedo and it not be 10 mph high!

Thanks for sharing, my question is are you still running stock gear ratio in your diffs.?

I boiled my cylinder head, bell housing, and transmission crossmember for Christmas. Still need to do the lower block and a few other parts. Then I’ll zap the rust with an electrolysis tank. Actually, kinda fun!

B7879D55-5D3F-4A2E-9544-EF4A45B5C635.jpeg
4BA477EB-4AE4-4130-9C2A-829F58D26405.jpeg
DF4EC4AE-0D1B-458C-A6CF-5CDD19927688.jpeg
344B6636-FCDF-48E5-BEDA-0FADF3F7626E.jpeg

Thanks for sharing, my question is are you still running stock gear ratio in your diffs.?
Yep! Stock gearing and 33” BFG MTs with probably a bit more than half their tread life remaining. The guys at the speedometer shop should be able to help you calculate the right correction for different gearing. That kind of math is beyond my pay grade for sure!

i love stealth wheels. easily the best finish on any wheels i’ve ever purchased. and they just look right on these trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom