Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some may have noticed I was looking for a certain set of door mirror arms...here is the reason why. The question about the plastic mirror's that attached to the mirror arms with the ball joint, some people have trouble keeping them steady at higher speeds. I have/had my plastic ones set good with the tooth washer behind the ball joint, and that worked very well. However, I was looking for another solution to keep the door mirrors more steady...well, here is my solution:

The non OEM door mirror arms I took apart and cut the ball joint off.
IMG_2600.jpg

After a little welding prep, I took some 3/8" round bar stock, cut at 3/4" long and welded to the mirror arm where I cut the ball joint off. Then I took a 5/16 x 5/8 x 3/8 heavy steel bushing and welded it to the 3/8" bar stock at about the same angle the original ball joint was. Then primed & painted, installed a set of convex Toyota 87901-55012 units, and here is the result.

IMG_2699.jpg
IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg
IMG_2702.jpg

Yeah, my welding & griding skills are lacking, but it gets the job done. I will be doing another set and taking a little more time with the bushing angle, welding and grinding. Note, the mirrors are the same part number I use with the arms that attach to the windshield bracket when the top is off. Thus, you can use any of the mirrors with the screw post attachment. As of now, I've been running these for a few weeks and I really like them. Also, I've been up to 65mph with them, and they seem solid.....so they will stay for now.

Some may have noticed I was looking for a certain set of door mirror arms...here is the reason why. The question about the plastic mirror's that attached to the mirror arms with the ball joint, some people have trouble keeping them steady at higher speeds. I have/had my plastic ones set good with the tooth washer behind the ball joint, and that worked very well. However, I was looking for another solution to keep the door mirrors more steady...well, here is my solution:

The non OEM door mirror arms I took apart and cut the ball joint off.
View attachment 3201906

After a little welding prep, I took some 3/8" round bar stock, cut at 3/4" long and welded to the mirror arm where I cut the ball joint off. Then I took a 5/16 x 5/8 x 3/8 heavy steel bushing and welded it to the 3/8" bar stock at about the same angle the original ball joint was. Then primed & painted, installed a set of convex Toyota 87901-55012 units, and here is the result.

View attachment 3201912....View attachment 3201913

View attachment 3201914....View attachment 3201915

Yeah, my welding & griding skills are lacking, but it gets the job done. I will be doing another set and taking a little more time with the bushing angle, welding and grinding. Note, the mirrors are the same part number I use with the arms that attach to the windshield bracket when the top is off. Thus, you can use any of the mirrors with the screw post attachment. As of now, I've been running these for a few weeks and I really like them. Also, I've been up to 65mph with them, and they seem solid.....so they will stay for now.
This solution really is the best. Fantastic!
What did you use for rubber trim around the convex mirrors? Mine didn't come with that... is it aftermarket?

This solution really is the best. Fantastic!
What did you use for rubber trim around the convex mirrors? Mine didn't come with that... is it aftermarket?
My new OEM #87901-55012 units come with the rubber edging as well as a backup, as seen below. I came across these by accident, but liked the edging so I bought four of them.
iu

Note, my OEM # 87901-55011 units came without the rubber edging. Probably the same units you have/purchased.
attachment.php

Ah, finally see what you were cooking up in the workshop. I could only imagine when you were collecting the parts. I knew it was going to be something cool. This is cool. Good work.

My new OEM #87901-55012 units come with the rubber edging as well as a backup, as seen below. I came across these by accident, but liked the edging so I bought four of them.
iu

Note, my OEM # 87901-55011 units came without the rubber edging. Probably the same units you have/purchased.
attachment.php
Ha, wasn't aware there were two versions. Thanks for sharing.

Fwiw the 87901-55012 supercedes the 87901-55010 and now the 87901-55011, any of the 10/11 still lingering are old stock. Any new orders would go to the 12.

Note much work done on the truck, just driving it most every day. However, did come across an old Con Fer dash grab bar to help my 5' nothing wife get into my 40. Did a little refurb to the handle, wrapped with some leather and installed it.

IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg
IMG_3023.jpg

Didn't like drilling the holes, but ehhh.....wife approves.

Date night at 'CUE Barbecue in Milton....yum-yum
IMG_2922.jpg

Note much work done on the truck, just driving it most every day. However, did come across an old Con Fer dash grab bar to help my 5' nothing wife get into my 40. Did a little refurb to the handle, wrapped with some leather and installed it.

View attachment 3256091...View attachment 3256092

View attachment 3256093...View attachment 3256094

Didn't like drilling the holes, but ehhh.....wife approves.

Date night at 'CUE Barbecue in Milton....yum-yum
View attachment 3256096
Nicely done as always Rick. Greetings from Arizona👍

The leather wrap is a nice, good-looking detail.

Happy Wife, Happy Life !

My wife pestered me for a step for a long time. She was much happier after I built it.

Mine is only 5' as well. She likes the grab handles on my MetalTech "Jackson" roll cage.

Same here. I have grab handles in all my Landcruisers.🤔

And she carries MY grab handles very well.😉

Over time, my hood would cut into the fender-to-hood bumpers and would come to rest on the screws. This caused the screw tops to rust....here is my proposed solution to that: < M6 X 18mm >

IMG_3069.jpg
IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg
IMG_3077.jpg

Time will tell if this is a good option. For now, I'll order a few sets of the fender-to-hood bumpers (53349-90300) for backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom