Rivian R1S vs LC thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Would you trade in your Land Cruiser for a Rivian R1S/R1T?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So now that we know EVs cant tow at all I’m quite happy truth be told.

Plus I never liked these goofy ass trucks LOL.
Im detesting the skateboard EV look more and more each day as the novelt has diminished. All door with these itty bitty windows on all of em. I want a safari skybox cabin experience.

Also i already knew the 600 was a hard pass, but ive yet to drive one… kinda not surprised. none of the reviews i have seen were enthusiastic about anything and most were upset about the loss of tailgate and the grill of course.
i really dont think it will do all that welll.

Motor Trend took their long term Rivian R1T camping and had the truck’s battery go from 53% to 11% charge just sitting at the campsite for 4 nights. Pretty significant battery drain, apparently just keeping the computers, etc. on so they are always ready to go. It’s worth reading about (2/23 issue) for anyone considering Rivian for remote camping. Makes the small drain on my LC battery when off look great.

Motor Trend took their long term Rivian R1T camping and had the truck’s battery go from 53% to 11% charge just sitting at the campsite for 4 nights. Pretty significant battery drain, apparently just keeping the computers, etc. on so they are always ready to go. It’s worth reading about (2/23 issue) for anyone considering Rivian for remote camping. Makes the small drain on my LC battery when off look great.

This is my biggest concern with EV’s for any real remote travel. I mean, the number one reason I bought an LC over anything else is the reliability factor. I’m confident that the LC can get me back into civilization.

Having said that, I think Rivian has a huge market in the luxury SUV crowd. Those who want a nice vehicle to take into the mountains for a day or two. I’d like to say that I’d buy one but I’m much more like to get the LX600 or 300 if they ever get to the US.

The horrid build quality alone will make Rivian a rattle tin can within weeks of ownership!! Parts will start to fall off or panels will start to pop out with the first cross-axeled obstacle as unibody flex.

And still worth $110k on the used ev market.

Long term? The thing is like less than a year old.

The brianwashed public eats garbage up like this thinking they're getting a quality product. Bottom line, there is no comparison in the R&D between Mr. T and a Rivian.

Long term? The thing is like less than a year old.

The brianwashed public eats garbage up like this thinking they're getting a quality product. Bottom line, there is no comparison in the R&D between Mr. T and a Rivian.

I didn't have much faith in the Rivian R&D team when they looked like a bunch of hipsters in various videos posted online.

Hipsters, R&D, cold weather… none of these worry me as much as the internet of things that inherently comes with EV’s and newer vehicles. I don’t wear a tinfoil hat but I also don’t want a vehicle that’s chatting with engineers while I’m sleeping.

EV drivers are in for a BIG surprise when it gets really cold!!! 😂😂😂

Entering my 4th winter with my current EV (8th winter in a EV), it was a high of negative 16 the other day. Drove the EV, as I usually do on cold days because I don't have to wait for the heater to warm up. What's the big surprise?

Last edited:
Hipsters, R&D, cold weather… none of these worry me as much as the internet of things that inherently comes with EV’s and newer vehicles. I don’t wear a tinfoil hat but I also don’t want a vehicle that’s chatting with engineers while I’m sleeping.
Let’s not forget that anyone who owns an EV is blind to the fact of human trafficking of children and so many other atrocities towards human forced labor. Most of cobalt comes from the DRC where 40% of the workers are young children digging with bare hands and workers only paid $1 a day. How is EV great for the World? It‘s just another money making industry that only cares about the bottom dollar without care for the damage it causes. Let’s forget how much damage EV does to the environment. The amount of water alone to create one EV battery is insane. This is not manageable. Just killing our planet faster U.S. shift on child labor may scramble EV sector - https://www.eenews.net/articles/u-s-shift-on-child-labor-may-scramble-ev-sector/

Last edited:
This better get more 200-series tech related or it’ll get reported and disappear like so many other threads in the weeds.

This better get more 200-series tech related or it’ll get reported and disappear like so many other threads in the weeds.
lol, true. I just my first Rivian Suv coming and I personally think it looks better than the truck version. However, it gets worse range apparently.

I agree. Sorry I revived this thread.

At least you won't have to replace the starter on the Riv. ;)

Entering my 4th winter with my current EV (8th winter in a EV), it was a high of negative 16 the other day. Drove the EV, as I usually do on cold days because I don't have to wait for the heater to warm up. What's the big surprise?
I think the big surprise is cold weather trips away from home. When you can plug in an EV at home and pre warm it, it’s magic. The range loss on trips or parking over night without a charger is kinda of s***ty.

(I have several Teslas in the garage with my 200)

When it comes to the EV craze my real interest is in conversions. I do believe they will make sense when battery tech equals the convenience of gas, I don’t know if this is a hot swapping battery or some magic new material like graphene but I’d be down to make the conversion in a 200 series if gas becomes prohibitively expense or nonexistent. I don’t see my current lifestyle changing and I also don’t see a world where the current trajectory of EV’s crosses into my lifestyle. More and more they look to be competing in urban/city environments and further away from where I currently exist.

I went weekend camping with a buddy with a R1S. He's a big guy, over 6' tall, and planned to car camp with his kid. I was curious how he was managing the sleeping space with all the gear.

First party trick - parked, presses a single button for car auto leveling and it magically leveled out with its air suspension.

Second party trick - the giant frunk in the R1S made for great gear management, keeping most things out of the way of the large sleeping pad.

Third party trick - climate control to boot, while the rest of the group used tents and tent heaters.

Color me impressed as it managed car camping in a way no cruiser could have. Doesn't mean I want the R1S as the 200-series handles different use cases, types of camping, and towing, better than the R1S can. I don't dismiss EVs, having had them in the family for 12 yrs now, they are clearly superior if all I did was commute and weekend camp. I might covet the next generation EV trucks that can cover more of what the 200-series does great at.

Last edited:
I went weekend camping with a buddy with a R1S. He's a big guy, over 6' tall, and planned to car camp with his kid. I was curious how he was managing the sleeping space with all the gear.

First party trick - parked, presses a single button for car auto leveling and it magically leveled out with its air suspension.

Second party trick - the giant frunk in the R1S made for great gear management, keeping most things out of the way of the large sleeping pad.

Third party trick - climate control to boot, while the rest of the group used tents and tent heaters.

Color me impressed as it managed car camping in a way no cruiser could have. Doesn't mean I want the R1S as the 200-series handles different use cases, types of camping, and towing, better than the R1S can. I don't dismiss EVs, having had them in the family for 12 yrs now, they are clearly superior if all I did was commute and weekend camp. I might covet the next generation EV trucks that can cover more of what the 200-series does great at.
What is the point of car camp? Does R1S have s bathroom inside? Shower? What if someone farted?

Would it be better investment to get an Airstream touring coach ? Or something like it?

What is the point of car camp? Does R1S have s bathroom inside? Shower? What if someone farted?

Would it be better investment to get an Airstream touring coach ? Or something like it?

It's not the answer to everything. But I can't deny it might be a cool toy/tool in some camping situations. In the southwest, BLM camping on the ground may not be possible either because of no flat ground, rocks, or inability to stake down into rocky surfaces which is no bueno with winds. Car camping makes sense where travel trailers can't reach. Off-road trailers would be cool but they don't have bathrooms eithers.

A comparable setup to the R1S in space on the 200-series might be with an RTT?

Is an R1S more hospitable in certain trips? Maybe. Then again, my group wouldn't be happy to detour to find the rare charger an R1S would require. There's no perfect tool for every trip, but I believe the 200-series comes closer than the R1S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom