What do you tow your 80 with? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And if you're are interested I believe I still have a lead on a red one with just a flatbed.. no camper.. a friend of mine had one forsale. 2000s era I will double check..

And if you're are interested I believe I still have a lead on a red one with just a flatbed.. no camper.. a friend of mine had one forsale. 2000s era I will double check..
I'd love that, but it would also cause a divorce.

For those of you out there that tow your 80s, what equipment do you use and why? I'm looking to buy both a tow rig and a trailer and I know you guys will have opinions.......
Truck would replace my Seattle daily driver, which doesn't get a lot of miles but does need to fit in to airport parking (7' tall, max).

For years and thousands of miles, my '97 F350 7.3L Power Stroke has proven itself a capable tow rig. With an 11' Lance camper aboard and flat towed my 80 as well. It would've been definitely better on a trailer, but I had no place to store a trailer when not used. I sold the camper, but still have the truck for tasks that there is no substitute. Currently, it mostly sits since it wouldn't work well for a daily driver, considering how over priced diesel fuel is. Which brings me to my second point. Do you really think it's a good idea to use a capable tow rig as a DD? I'd rather have a "beast" that tows with no issue and a Prius or something similar for urban chores. Yes, we're talking more $ than you'd like to spend. Anything less will be a compromise, though, if you're honest. And compromise is not always bad. Thing is, will we tolerate the consequences, or end up spending more in the long run, because we're fed up with what we're dealing with now?

Food for thought.

Last edited:
For years and thousands of miles, my '97 F350 7.3L Power Stroke has proven itself a capable tow rig. With an 11' Lance camper aboard and flat towed my 80 as well. It would've been definitely better on a trailer, but I had no place to store a trailer when not used. I sold the camper, but still have the truck for tasks that there is no substitute. Currently, it mostly sits since it wouldn't work well for a daily driver, considering how over priced diesel fuel is. Which brings me to my second point. Do you really think it's a good idea to use a capable tow rig as a DD? I'd rather have a "beast" that tows with no issue and a Prius or something similar for urban chores. Yes, we're talking more $ than you'd like to spend. Anything less will be a compromise, though, if you're honest. And compromise is not always bad. Thing is, will we tolerate the consequences, or end up spending more in the long run, because we're fed up with what we're dealing with now.

Food for thought.
Sounds like a nice set up. Not worried about the DD designation, since i don't commute anywhere other than the airport ( just rules out a dually). I DD'd a Ram 2500 crew cab long box previously with no concern.

If i had room to park another vehicle, I'd keep the GS 350 i have as a daily and pick up a dedicated dually towing monster. Unfortunately space doesn't permit.

Usually AAA Prime.

What was the question?

i tow mine with a 5.7 sequoia, 4.7 tundra, GX470 or... get this... a 3.4 tundra. that 3.4 has hauled at least 20 cruisers that i have parted out over the years from all over the southeast. if you arent in a hurry just about anything can drag one around.

Okay curious.

Now I understand there are particular reasons to own a truck and trailer. They are handy for everything. And towing a 80 has its place (gnarly trail days, wheeling for sport etc), but I feel like for the 50-70k it costs for a new truck and trailer you could deck out the 80 with just about anything you want. Any drivetrain, any seats in the world, as much insulation as you want, at that point why do I feel like so many people pick the truck and trailer route?

Okay curious.

Now I understand there are particular reasons to own a truck and trailer. They are handy for everything. And towing a 80 has its place (gnarly trail days, wheeling for sport etc), but I feel like for the 50-70k it costs for a new truck and trailer you could deck out the 80 with just about anything you want. Any drivetrain, any seats in the world, as much insulation as you want, at that point why do I feel like so many people pick the truck and trailer route?
I have an 80 set up to drive distance - v8 conversation, sheel manns etc. The new 80 is spooled, on 40s and runs a doubler. Not something I'd want to drive on the highway any kind of distance.

i tow mine with a 5.7 sequoia, 4.7 tundra, GX470 or... get this... a 3.4 tundra. that 3.4 has hauled at least 20 cruisers that i have parted out over the years from all over the southeast. if you arent in a hurry just about anything can drag one around.
I think i might rent a trailer and check out some if the trails around Arkansas when i get the truck there. I'll pull it with the gx460 (gently). When the new 80 finally makes it's way to Seattle in going to need something with more oomph. Slight difference between the Ozarks and the Rockies.

Yeah but towing in the southeast is a whole different story towing in the west.

A turbo charged diesel pick up is what’s necessary to traverse the Rockies with minimal drama.

Horse power and torque are just the beginning. Bigger brakes, an exhaust brake to keep the service brakes cooler, sway resisting suspension. The transmission and engine cooling systems will be massive compared to a half ton not to mention significantly more oil in both. These trucks were designed to tow all day everyday.

Something else that may be easily over looked is the fact that the diesel produces much more torque/power at a significantly lower rpm allowing the torque converter to remain locked when the engine is spinning in its sweet spot. This makes a huge difference in trans temps especially on long grades.

40' Dune Sport Toy Hauler towed with 2019 Chevy 3500HD dually (behind the cruiser). I had a F450 before this one but the fuel milage was terrible. I got less than 9mpg empty and about 4 loaded. The chevy averages 9 fully loaded and gets 20+ empty.

Yes, the land cruiser fits inside. It's a no frills trailer but its clean, comfortable and has everything we (4 people) need for weeks at a time.

Tell your wife the Peterbuilt would be cheaper... even if you had to pay to store it off site the ROI would be over a decade. And then just go buy a new truck and move on. Your wife seems pretty cool with your hobby spending, no need to break that over a used semi truck :p

IMG_0770.JPEG

Oh and as for 3/4 vs one ton. Having done both don't waste your time with the 3/4 ton. If you are even considering a truck bed camper you need the one ton. The cost difference is minimal and you'll regret not going for the extra capacity. SRW one tons can tow a lot of weight and handle all but the biggest dual slide out campers. Adding air bags to a 3/4 ton does not make it a one ton, it just makes your seriously over weight truck ride level so you can more easily see what you are about to hit because the brake system isn't up to snuff.

I've also had all three big three makers. Chevy (duramax) has been hands down the best. My first I had for 15 years and the only issue was the #5 glow plug failed. $40 fix. So far no issues with my new truck. Dodge is a close second for me, only reason I would not get one is the fuel economy. I do see a lot of posts online lately about dodges hauling truck campers and breaking the frame, not sure what's up with that. I've had 3 fords and all 3 have left me stranded one time or another. Won't be buying another.

Oh and as for 3/4 vs one ton. Having done both don't waste your time with the 3/4 ton. If you are even considering a truck bed camper you need the one ton. The cost difference is minimal and you'll regret not going for the extra capacity. SRW one tons can tow a lot of weight and handle all but the biggest dual slide out campers. Adding air bags to a 3/4 ton does not make it a one ton, it just makes your seriously over weight truck ride level so you can more easily see what you are about to hit because the brake system isn't up to snuff.

I've also had all three big three makers. Chevy (duramax) has been hands down the best. My first I had for 15 years and the only issue was the #5 glow plug failed. $40 fix. So far no issues with my new truck. Dodge is a close second for me, only reason I would not get one is the fuel economy. I do see a lot of posts online lately about dodges hauling truck campers and breaking the frame, not sure what's up with that. I've had 3 fords and all 3 have left me stranded one time or another. Won't be buying another.

For those of you out there that tow your 80s, what equipment do you use and why? I'm looking to buy both a tow rig and a trailer and I know you guys will have opinions.

I told my wife we should buy an old Peterbilt with a sleeper and tow with that, since it's cheaper than a new truck, has a built in camper and will have no issue pulling what ever I want. Unfortunately that idea was vetoed ... something about not fitting in the driveway. So I assume I have to stick to something "conventional".
Yes - a Peterbilt conventional...

Yeah but towing in the southeast is a whole different story towing in the west.
towed in the mountains in TN just fine with the 3.4 but i know thats different. just saying you dont need a C7 cat to tow one around. its not that heavy of a vehicle. if you can afford to get a diesel then do it but if you cant any of the modern V8s will pull it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom