Builds Big Red Toy (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Happy Birthday Marines!!!
signal-2022-11-10-17-09-43-248.jpg

Question for the diesel cummins crowd or anyone who might know. Will a 6bt high volume oil cooler fit in a 4bt? Trying to figure out solutions to keep the oil cool enough for another possible Colorado trip when I get back. Looking at installing an external oil cooler as well but worried about dropping too much oil pressure. I noticed a little drop since going with compounds and don't want to keep dropping the pressure in case it has negative effects on the engine.

I've been researching this and coming up with mixed answers and I've also been super busy with working the world cup. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to beating Iran tomorrow.
20221121_205834.jpg
20221126_002433.jpg
20221126_002520.jpg
20221127_215551.jpg
IMG-20221128-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Iirc the 6bt oiler cooler bolts right in. So does the 6bt oil pump if you are concerned about pressure drop.

Thanks Johnny, i thought they might but heard conflicting things. Looking at big volume high pressure cooler and pump. My 40 has an external oil cooler and fan, keeps oil temps in line with the coolant temps. Debating on going that route as well if i can find the space.

I'm also going to park this link here for later down the road.

Do you have a way to measure oil temperature? Why do you feel you need more oil cooling? Just curious.

Do you have a way to measure oil temperature? Why do you feel you need more oil cooling? Just curious.
I keep thinking about that Colorado trip where the engine was running around 225* at altitudes. I have the largest radiator I can fit in the engine bay with 3 fans and could not cool it down. Radiator is rated for up to 600hp engines.

My 40 has an oil cooler with a temp gauge. It kicks on to match the coolant temps and it runs great at any speed.

My 911 since the engine rebuild and going from 3.2 to 3.4 and remapping the ecu has needed some air rerouted to the oil cooler to keep it happy. No issues since I did that

So i figure with big red, I've done Everything with the coolant I can do, maybe I need to tackle it from the oil angle.

Feel free to correct my logic if it's flawed.

Last edited:
Unrelated to land cruisers, but too excited not to share.
signal-2022-11-30-01-44-17-562.jpg
20221129_223858.jpg
20221129_215328.jpg
20221129_215405.jpg

I would have posted better pics but could not because of who was in them.

Man, that was a nail biter at the end. Glad they pulled it off.

Bring me back a souvenir! 😁

Man, that was a nail biter at the end. Glad they pulled it off.

Bring me back a souvenir! 😁
**** no joke. I was sitting with our CG in the Iran section. I was his only psd, thought he was gonna throw down at one point. Luckily nothing happened.

I'm at the Denmark Australia game now. Kinda boring in comparison.
20221130_175355.jpg

It's halftime and I keep thinking about this oil cooler thing.
Would it make sense to install a 6bt oil cooler if that cools off of the radiator which in turn over heats at altitudes or under extreme loads?
Wouldn't it make more sense to install an external oil cool with a fan?

Just some thoughts:

Right now the oil cooler uses coolant. If your coolant heats up it doesn't cool off the oil too much. For a bigger impact I think I'd use an additional external cooler of some kind with potentially a fan. The fan could be temp controlled or just on a switch for the heavy load times. I don't think I'd have the fan running all the time. The challenge will be finding a decent spot for cooling to happen. I will not put it in your cooling row since that is already full and would add more heat to the radiator.

With the compounds and then potentially putting on an external oil cooler I think you'd be wise to look into a higher capacity oil pump like you mentioned before.

What is the potential to convert to a mechanical fan for your radiator for more airflow through your cooling row? Also, what about getting outside air to your air filter rather than under hood air?

Just some thoughts:

Right now the oil cooler uses coolant. If your coolant heats up it doesn't cool off the oil too much. For a bigger impact I think I'd use an additional external cooler of some kind with potentially a fan. The fan could be temp controlled or just on a switch for the heavy load times. I don't think I'd have the fan running all the time. The challenge will be finding a decent spot for cooling to happen. I will not put it in your cooling row since that is already full and would add more heat to the radiator.

With the compounds and then potentially putting on an external oil cooler I think you'd be wise to look into a higher capacity oil pump like you mentioned before.

What is the potential to convert to a mechanical fan for your radiator for more airflow through your cooling row? Also, what about getting outside air to your air filter rather than under hood air?
I'm leaning towards an external cooler with a fan for the same reasons you mentioned. Plan is to either have a toggle switch for the fan or a thermostat that kicks it on automatically like in my 40. I don't want to install it in front of the radiator as that area is full and I will one day try an electric compressor for AC, so i'll need the condenser. I have a mechanical fan with two electric fans that i can switch on with a toggle switch, for most of the time that's enough to tow my fully loaded trailer. As for the outside air, I have the snorkel tube pointed right at the air filter. I think i know where I want to mount it, but i'm going off of memory right now, so i'll wait to get back to confirm if it will fit and how large of a cooler I can install.

If there's a high capacity oil pump you recommend, please let me know. i think I'm going to do this upgrade regardless.
Thanks.

I had forgotten that you already had a mech fan. Makes a lot more sense why you are looking at other options. I've done no research on higher capacity oil pumps so I've got no suggestions there.

To be honest I don't think your cold air aid is probably doing much. I read a study a while ago (it was on a duramax) on the affects of cold/outside air intake verses coolant temps and the set ups that had complete sealing to truly only pull in cold/outside air did make a difference on coolant temps. If I remember right it was around 10 degree coolant temp difference. It's about the air under the hood heating up as more load is placed on the engine and how this cycle compounds as more heat get's shed from the radiator to under hood. I know you have vents and I know those are helping just like mine do but over time (up a grade, etc) things just get warmer on hot summer days. Someday I'll get my cold/outside air setup figured out and actually in place. I also have plans to switch out to a mech fan but since I don't drive it much anymore and have my beater dodge to pull loads these have not been a priority like they used to.

Found this, does anyone know of a better one? Been saying the Cummins forums but nothing definitive. Kinda leery about it made in China, but i guess that's the way of the world now.

Seems like it's best to find a high volume pump for a 6bt

Last edited:
It's over!!!!!! No more security details at the world cup !!
20221213_235818.jpg

Ordered a few parts for the 85 pick up to work on with my son over the Christmas holiday break.

I really feel for you, Mike.

Man, that was an incredible game.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom