What colour is Freeborn Red? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmmmmmmmm?????

Screenshot_20211018-151210_Messages.jpg

Bringing up an old thread but I wanted to add what I've come across in my own search. I currently have an 88 FJ62 with paint code 3F4 I'm restoring. Gentlemen doing the work for me has a collection of cruisers, does his own P&B work etc. I came across one in his collection he mentioned was painted using the 3F4 paint color. Just wanted to share for reference.
3F4 paint.jpg

Could be the picture…. But that doesn’t look right to me.

The paint does look a little muted/deeper red on that 40 Series, But I’ll admit, the 60 series isn’t quite as light as I would have expected for Freeborn Red—maybe just lighting and my image settings

I have some 309 paint from Sherwin-Williams for my respray job, I’ll report with pictures once I have finished. At this rate, That could be after the next pandemic…

Having both a red 1979 40 and a red 1987 60. The 60 has always looked oranger.

I started this thread, and what I've learned is that at some point, 309 Freeborn morphed into 3F4. And it was before 1984 as my '84 is the 3F4 version of 309.
309 - bright red, pink/blue type red
3F4 - softer red, more orange. "burnt orangey red"

I started this thread, and what I've learned is that at some point, 309 Freeborn morphed into 3F4. And it was before 1984 as my '84 is the 3F4 version of 309.
309 - bright red, pink/blue type red
3F4 - softer red, more orange. "burnt orangey red"
I’m glad I found this thread! I’ve have been thinking about doing some at home rust repair with with no experience but willing to learn from YouTube University and MUD. The paint code on my new to me ‘84 60 says 309 but I’m thinking it has more of an orange color. Just hoping to get some advice from you all. And hoping you all can point me in the direction of someone who has done some basic rust repair.

33108502-FF5A-48EE-80C0-53FB6B0E8E2D.jpeg

BD88248C-5022-4A78-BB11-E3B30BB56668.jpeg

8FB02513-42B8-4560-B855-7520CFAD77A4.jpeg

I’m glad I found this thread! I’ve have been thinking about doing some at home rust repair with with no experience but willing to learn from YouTube University and MUD. The paint code on my new to me ‘84 60 says 309 but I’m thinking it has more of an orange color. Just hoping to get some advice from you all. And hoping you all can point me in the direction of someone who has done some basic rust repair.
Well that certainly looks like the 3F4 version of 309 to me. And for some rust repair advice, I can offer nothing myself - haven't done it. But do check out Fitzees Fabrications on YouTube. That guy is amazing. And @diesellibrarian has a great thread going on making 2 62's into one. Thread here.

Well that certainly looks like the 3F4 version of 309 to me. And for some rust repair advice, I can offer nothing myself - haven't done it. But do check out Fitzees Fabrications on YouTube. That guy is amazing. And @diesellibrarian has a great thread going on making 2 62's into one. Thread here.
X2 for Fitzee’s!! That guy is amazing and shows everything step by step. He’s from Newfoundland and has been repairing rust buckets out there for decades.

One thing to also consider is the type of paint. I've been told, by several people with more historical Land Cruiser knowledge than me, that the non-metallic Land Cruiser colors are all single-stage, not base coat / clear coat. I question whether that's true in the later models (my black '06 100 seems to be base/clear); however, none of my non-metallic 6x series trucks have been clear coat colors. That's why they're usually so faded looking, when neglected, but polish up so nicely!
31.jpg
Red 60 11.JPG

One thing to also consider is the type of paint. I've been told, by several people with more historical Land Cruiser knowledge than me, that the non-metallic Land Cruiser colors are all single-stage, not base coat / clear coat. I question whether that's true in the later models (my black '06 100 seems to be base/clear); however, none of my non-metallic 6x series trucks have been clear coat colors. That's why they're usually so faded looking, when neglected, but polish up so nicely!View attachment 3199538View attachment 3199540
Seems like they had clear coat, although I’m getting ready to do a respray and I’m doing single stage urethane. Looks like clear coat in this picture.

9D6C5B41-8762-4609-AD88-4A532595BF8A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom